Fat Britain - getting bigger..

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited November 2018 in The cake stop
This makes interesting reading

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45875294

In Rotherham 75% of adults are obese and one resident said he could buy a sandwich for lunch at £3 or get a full Chinese for £2.50!

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    This makes interesting reading

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45875294

In Rotherham 75% of adults are obese and one resident said he could buy a sandwich for lunch at £3 or get a full Chinese for £2.50!

This is happening everywhere tbh, I think a lot of it is the result of more people staying at home instead of going out/virtually all pubs closing etc. On my local shops there’s a Chinese, two Indian takeaways, a chip shop, a cafe and two burger/pizza places. There are only four other shops on there.

Nobody forces anyone to eat until they’re obese though, at 67kg I’m lighter now than I was 20 years ago and there was only the chip shop on there! :?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    I saw an advert at the weekend. “A 2 minute walk? LOL. Uber.”
    Sums things up. Laziness.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I like that we put this in Cake Stop.

Anyways - food is shortly going to get more expensive - so maybe that'll help...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Fenix wrote:
    I like that we put this in Cake Stop.

Anyways - food is shortly going to get more expensive - so maybe that'll help...

My neighbours are looking tastier all the time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    We used to have 4 takeaways in the village, then maybe 3 years ago? 2 of them closed because there wasn't enough business. Then 4 have (re)opened (and 1 closed again). 1 of them is always empty, seems like an odd industry. 2 of the takeaways have a 1/5 food hygiene rating which they proudly display in their windows.

The high street current comprises a butcher, 3 hairdressers, a dodgy pub, a fireworks shop(!), 3 of the takeaways, 2 tattoo studios, a pharmacy and an undertaker. Sounds like a good day out :D
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I had all my kids round the other week and decided to get some takeaway in for a change, they use a site called Justeat which I was aware of but had never used. Putting in my postcode I was somewhat amazed by the fact that there were 138 takeaways (although I did recognise quite a few names as restaurants) within a mile and a half radius of me
    Perhaps there is the problem, not only loads of takeaways but you don’t even have to walk down the road to get them!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    the takeaways have a 1/5 food hygiene rating which they proudly display in their windows.

They don’t proudly display their ratings, they legally have to put it up, they would far rather you not knowing!!
  • I can see how it’s happening. You can get a movie on a streaming service, so you don’t have to go to a cinema, order a takeaway, and get it delivered, without having to walk further than your front door, and spend hours, sat down doing nothing, and eating calorie dense food. It’s never going to end well.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I can see how it’s happening. You can get a movie on a streaming service, so you don’t have to go to a cinema, order a takeaway, and get it delivered, without having to walk further than your front door, and spend hours, sat down doing nothing, and eating calorie dense food. It’s never going to end well.

Good recipe for your ex 25 stone carcass being found 3 weeks after your death at age 42. If you have to rely on your Social Media friends to worry about your silence then you probably never will last long enough to become a burden on the NHS.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I can see how it’s happening. You can get a movie on a streaming service, so you don’t have to go to a cinema, order a takeaway, and get it delivered, without having to walk further than your front door, and spend hours, sat down doing nothing, and eating calorie dense food. It’s never going to end well.

Kids these days should take a leaf from your book and cycle everywhere with a 40kg backpack. That'd soon whip them into shape!
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    edited October 2018
    I'm calling bollox to the £2.50 Chinese, £3 sarnie claim. Spending a few mins each night will knock out a far superior sarnie to most cheap supermarkets, much healthier (depending on filling) and much cheaper too.

People are just lazy, that's all.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Joe Totale wrote:

Kids these days should take a leaf from your book and cycle everywhere with a 40kg backpack. That'd soon whip them into shape!

:lol::lol:

BTW - can someone give me a link to where I can get a full chinese for £2.50? I'm definitely up for that..
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'd argue that London has far more choice of takeout food places than anywhere else in the country. Add to that the abundance of these places (plus restaurants) passing business to Just Eat, Hungry House, Deliveroo, Uber Eats etc... London should be like Rotherham or worse.

Except it's not. In fact, the UK's lowest proportion of obese people is found in the borough of Camden and the other London boroughs are not far behind.

So I agree with whoever suggested it's down to primarily laziness. Apathy and laziness.

Is there any correlation between Leave voting and high obesity levels?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    edited October 2018
    crispybug2 wrote:
    the takeaways have a 1/5 food hygiene rating which they proudly display in their windows.

They don’t proudly display their ratings, they legally have to put it up, they would far rather you not knowing!!

Not quite true.

https://www.food.gov.uk/research/resear ... f-research

"Businesses in Wales and Northern Ireland are legally required to display their ratings in a prominent place, such as the front door, entrance or window of the premises. Display became mandatory in Wales in November 2013 and in Northern Ireland in October 2016. In England businesses are encouraged but not required by law to display their rating."

Have you ever noticed that when it comes to obesity it seems to be that there's always someone/something else to blame?
    This time it's takeaways, it wasn't so long ago that it was supermarkets selling the wrong prepared meals, anything other than the lack of moving their fat arses off the sofa.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Imposter wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:

:lol::lol:

BTW - can someone give me a link to where I can get a full chinese for £2.50? I'm definitely up for that..

Well it was 4 years ago, so probably even cheaper now with all the competition?
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    I'd argue that London has far more choice of takeout food places than anywhere else in the country. Add to that the abundance of these places (plus restaurants) passing business to Just Eat, Hungry House, Deliveroo, Uber Eats etc... London should be like Rotherham or worse.

Except it's not. In fact, the UK's lowest proportion of obese people is found in the borough of Camden and the other London boroughs are not far behind.

So I agree with whoever suggested it's down to primarily laziness. Apathy and laziness.

Apathy, laziness and probably a sense of hopelessness chucked in for good measure as well.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Next time you walk down the street, count off the number of people out of 50 that could do to lose a few. It's more than half everywhere I've been in the last few years.

It's got little to do with how easy or cheap it might be to get a takeaway. It's lack of discipline and social acceptance of being fat or overweight.

All the stuff in the news about body shaming doesn't help, I understand that young girls wanting to eat cardboard because they think they're fat isn't a good thing, but the blowback against that goes too far the other way, it's not a good message to send to young girls that you can eat what you like and it's fine as long as you think your pretty. Great. Let us know how you feel about yourself in 20 years when you have diabetes.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    Ben6899 wrote:

Perhaps it's because London has the highest ethinic diversity of all UK with only 44.9% of residents being White British born.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

So less lazy, fat, white, British people and more from other cultures that actually consider their health?

Who knows?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Perhaps it's because London has the highest ethinic diversity of all UK with only 44.9% of residents being White British born.

So less lazy, fat, white, British people and more from other cultures that actually consider their health?

Who knows?

I think you may have a point.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • joe_totale-2
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Who knows?

Generally it's these people from other cultures that run the takeaway establishments hence the high density of them in somewhere like London.
    Clearly they know how unhealthy the food is so don't touch it themselves, it's a bit like how a drug dealer should never getting hooked on their own product.
  • Ben6899 wrote:

Comparing maps, in some areas, the North East, Kent and Essex and South Wales stand out as high obesity/Brexit voters. Not sure how much you can read into that - confirmation bias?
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Who knows?

Generally it's these people from other cultures that run the takeaway establishments hence the high density of them in somewhere like London.
    Clearly they know how unhealthy the food is so don't touch it themselves, it's a bit like how a drug dealer should never getting hooked on their own product.

I suspect it's less do do with that and more to do with eating in moderation and portion control?
  • joe_totale-2
    Joe Totale wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Who knows?

I suspect it's less do do with that and more to do with eating in moderation and portion control?

I agree. My comment was half in jest.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Fvck me. Somehow a thread about fat b@stards has become another vehicle to smear those people who dared to vote "the wrong way" in a referendum. Can't that sort of sh1te stay on the Brexit thread?
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Shortfall wrote:
    Fvck me. Somehow a thread about fat b@stards has become another vehicle to smear those people who dared to vote "the wrong way" in a referendum. Can't that sort of sh1te stay on the Brexit thread?

There is correlation between education level and voting preference, and also education level and obesity. Seems relevant to me :wink:

*runs away
  • shortfall
    HaydenM wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

There is correlation between education level and voting preference, and also education level and obesity. Seems relevant to me :wink:

*runs away

Yes, have read similar ad nauseum on the Brexit thread. There is doubtless a correlation but people didn't GET fat because they voted to leave the EU
  • Shortfall wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

*runs away

Yes, have read similar ad nauseum on the Brexit thread. There is doubtless a correlation but people didn't GET fat because they voted to leave the EU

No I agree, it was certainly the other way around.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Shortfall wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

*runs away

Maybe they get fat because they are idiots, and voted leave because they are also idiots? Us globally minded, highly educated millennials would never be so foolish...

*definitely going to get murdered now, please don't hurt me :lol:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Shortfall wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

*runs away

I seem to have got fat since other people voted to leave. How unfair is that.
  • shortfall
    Webboo wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

*runs away

I seem to have got fat since other people voted to leave. How unfair is that.

I blame the Gammon(s)