Bossnut Triple B v Whyte T130s v what else?

sbis
sbis Posts: 16
edited March 2019 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Looking for a bit of a steer please. I have an original XL Bossnut that's done 2 years without an issue and fancying something a little newer. It's stock save for a dropper post/Maxxis tyres. I ride mainly local bridleways with country lanes inbetween and occasional trips to Bedgebury.

Budget for a new bike is upto £2k. I briefly tried a 2018 Whyte T130s at the weekend and like the look. The frame clearance is a lot better than the Bossnut which is a real issue on the paths I ride in the winter (esp. front forks).

Triple B is a slight upgrade on mine, but clearance issues remain. I'm spinning out on my 2x10 set up at 25mph downhill at 90RPM. I can't work out if the 1x11 will improve this.

What else should I be looking at? Not averse to a direct sale/mail order bike.

Mrs has given me the all clear to buy a new...but likewise want to feel the benefit of a new bike.

All thoughts/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Welcome to the forum.

There is no simple answer and I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions (we can't all be right!).

I'm an old fart (45) who has ridden hardtails for 25 years and only had a FS for 18 months.

I've ridden a T-130 and it's a very capable bike - personally, I found it a tad heavy/tiring for general XC type riding. Don't know why. I test rode it in Wales at Cwmcarn going downhill and it was awesome. Just not sure I'd want to pedal the T-130 around bridle paths etc. My FS is quite light and more XC/Enduro orientated (13kg) - it's almost the same weight as my HT. Having said that, I'm sure the Bossnut isn't the lightest either.

Based on what you ride, part of me says get a decent HT. I'm not sure if that would float your boat. I ride FC trails near me (Sherwood Pines and Cannock Chase) - admittedly, you can ride them on a HT but I guess FS is more comfortable and you can push things a bit harder.

I'd maybe look for some FS bikes near the 29lbs (13kg) bracket. The Bossnut is about 14.5kg and you will notice the difference! Other people can recommend bikes that are suitable as I'm not so clued up on that.

As for 1x and 2x - potential can of worms.

I have older format 3x9 on HT although I only really use 2x9 as the granny ring is redundant. My FS is 1x11 with 11-42 (Shimano XT) on the rear and 34T up front. That range is enough to go up most hills but I will spin out going downhill. I find with 1x you can't really have both. I can go 36T up front but then I'll be geared more as a road bike and not MTB and won't have enough climbing gears.

I am a little surprised that 2x10 isn't giving you enough DH gearing. If you are spinning out with 2x10 then your big ring isn't big enough. With 2x10 you should be able to have the hill climbing capability using your smaller ring (and maybe part of your bigger ring) but then have the bigger ring for when you need it on the fast bits. It sort of goes back to the fact that MTB's are for climbing hills/mountains and bouncing down the other side and are geared accordingly. My FS spins out on the road but my friend with 2x10 on his FS still has more gears to go.

It sort of reflects the type of riding you do. I use my HT for a lot of that terrain as the FS can be a bit overbiked and the 2(3)x9 gives me more `road gears`. It also climbs better.

Personally, I can't see 1x solving your spinning out problem - not if you want a decent range at both ends. Some might say that with a 1x11 or 1x12 (Eagle) then you might be able to close that gap.

1x pros and cons for me (based on what I ride)

Pros
    Simpler
    Weight saving
    Less faffing

Cons
    Easy to spin out

I still prefer 2x (or 3x) on my HT as it is a semi road bike/path/trails etc and a good winter hack when I spend 50% of my time on tarmac and off the muddy trails. 1x is great on my FS as a mountain bike, but there needs to be a compromise as it is not a CX and/or road bike.

A lot of folk will say that 1x is the way to go - I'd argue that it depends where you ride and how you want to use your bike. 2x is still relevant in the right environment - in my opinion.

There are plenty of other people who will offer varying opinions!

Either way - for £2k you have a sensible choice. A lot of bikes are still being discounted with 20-30% off - so you can get a better bike for £2k or not spend it all.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Giant trance maybe? Look out for models on sale.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    swod1 wrote:
    Giant trance maybe? Look out for models on sale.

I'd say a Giant Anthem would be better suited to the type of riding the OP describes. Some of the 2018 model Anthems are now on SALE from Giant as well as the usual discount place such as Paul's Cycles.
    A T-130 is probably overkill.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    A T130 is a proper trail bike and is built to tackle tougher stuff. As a consequence ts a bit heavier. I would second the recco to get a Giant Anthem. That is a lightweight XC bike and is easily up-gradable as required.
  • sbis
    Thanks all, that's really helpful food for thought. Hadn't even looked at Giant so have a bit of reading to do.

I get why manufacturers are cagey about weight but it doesn't help when trying to compare bikes. No idea what mine weights, but I'd prefer to avoid going even heavier.

I have a trip to the Peaks coming up so whatever I opt for needs to cope with Jacob's ladder. That'll be as gnarly as I get.
  • JBA
    An Anthem 2 27.5 comes in just below your £2k limit, sbis.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • sbis
    oxoman wrote:
    I'm assuming your going down Jacobs ladder in which case you can do it on pretty much anything with brakes. Have done it on my CX bike although I wouldn't want to do at speed again on it.

Definitely coming down, plus a trip round Ladybower.

Which Trance/Anthem should I be looking at? I looked on Giant’s website earlier and admittedly was trying to do something else but got a bit lost.

Tried speccing up a Bird Aerris and got equally overwhelmed.
  • JBA
    sbis wrote:
    ...Which Trance/Anthem should I be looking at? ...

Have a look at the Anthem I linked to in my last post.

• sbis
    Sorry, didn’t properly read your link.
  • JBA
    No problem.
    Just click the link and it will take you to the Anthem 2 on the Giant website.

Paul's Cycles also has the 2017 Anthem 2 for £1,600. The only real difference is it has 120mm forks whereas the 2018 model has 130mm forks.

• swod1
    sbis wrote:

Definitely coming down, plus a trip round Ladybower.

Which Trance/Anthem should I be looking at? I looked on Giant’s website earlier and admittedly was trying to do something else but got a bit lost.

Tried speccing up a Bird Aerris and got equally overwhelmed.

Is it xc type stuff you going to do or get into more gnarly riding as get a trance or something.

Did that Jacobs ladder and derwent edge down to ladybower on a 100mm travel hardtail doable but wouldn’t do it again.

Much better on my mega fs, winhill is a good descent and the ride over to strines pub for dinner.
  • swod1
    JBA wrote:
    Paul's Cycles also has the 2017 Anthem 2 for £1,600. The only real difference is it has 120mm forks whereas the 2018 model has 130mm forks.

130mm forks on an xc bike I’ve missed that, dropper post too?

Xc bikes getting more beefy then it seems.
  • JBA
    Indeed they are. In the US Giant are marketing the Anthem 29er as an XC bike and the Anthem 27.5 as an XC Trail bike.

• billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    "XC" as a discipline can cover a multitude of sins.

My XC bike is really a 140mm Enduro/AM bike but at 13kg it's comparatively light. It copes with the Cannock stuff perfectly well as well as Afan, BPW, Jacobs Ladder (sort of) and still climbs very well.

sbis - you say you want to ride mainly path/trails etc with the odd DH type excursion? That to me means to want a bike best suited to your main type of riding, not the odd knarly adventure.

I did Jacob's latter 2 months ago and found it hard work but the bike coped and I got down it. My mate was on a very nice 29" Santa Cruz XC bike. He hated it. The bike geometry was wrong and he felt too far over the front wheel. He said the same thing about BPW and Afan. On the South Downs where he lives, it is an awesome mile muncher and perfect for what he rides most of the time. We did a 55km challenge the other week on similar terrain and he just flew off. On anything more technical or DH I was much quicker due to 140mm travel and a much slacker bike.

Most bikes can go outside of their comfort zone, but don't expect a bike designed for one discipline to excel in another. I've done BPW and Cwmcarn on a HT and coped but having done it on 140mm FS, I know which I prefer. My HT is awesome on local paths/trails and going up hills but it won't be going near the Dark Peak any time soon.

If you want a bike for all occasions you may end up more Enduro/AM focussed which is more 130/140mm, hence the repsonses that you have had. If you want something that you can chuck down JL, you are likely to be overbiked for a lot of your other riding.

Plenty of food for thought that just further confuses the issue!

PS - Your bike weighs about 14.5kg.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • sbis
    BillyCool you're absolutely right and this thread has been a bit of an eye opener. 95% of what I use it for is bridleways, country lanes and the odd trip to trail centres. As the kids get older I'm getting a bit of time back hence the trip to the Peaks, but DH definitely isn't my thing.

I'm 6'2 and find going down steep sections/steps that even whilst hung out over the rear wheel and with the seat out the way, there's a tendency for my Bossnut to tip me over the handlebars. Would definitely pitch me over sat on the seat in my normal riding position. If that's likely to be a geometry issue I'd like to iron that out with the new purchase too.

The Giant bikes mentioned all look like really good options and some discounts to be had at the minute. Have to admit I was drawn in by the looks and colour scheme of the T130s in a way that the Giant bikes don't appeal. But as you've all helpfully pointed out the bike needs to best suit what I use it for.

I'm away this weekend so no opportunity to go try anything to spend the cash that's burning a hole in my pocket. But next weekend should be all good to try some suggestions out.
  • To add my 2p to the thread:

Spinning out - a 1x11 is very unlikely to help your cause - I’d assume your 2x10 has at least a 38t front chainring, and you won’t be running that on a 1x11 without seriously compromising your low climbing gear. Your best option if you have to go 1x is to go with Sram GX Eagle so you have the 50t and 10t on the cassette. You can then run say a 34t front ring, maybe even a 36t. The 10t at the back will make a good difference over range 11t too gear on Shimano style freewheels.

Bike - for most of what you are riding the t130 is quite a lot of bike - for that reason I’d also rule out the Bird Aeris 120. The Giant Anthem suggestion is probably a good one. It might also be worth checking out Cube as they often have some more xc style bikes and sometimes still have 2x on them. Something like a Cube Stereo 120 might be worth a look. It’ll still cope with downhill as long as you’re sensible with the bike limitations - my mate did BPW on his and he had a good day out whilst not being particularly fast.
  • Looking online I found the following 2 Cube Stereo 120’s:

Carbon and £78 over budget:

https://www.mtbmonster.com/2018-cube-st ... m_keyword=

Aluminium and under budget:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... 7C622117UK

Tredz have some even cheaper stereo 120.

Note these are 29ers which are probably more suited than 650 bikes for most of what you ride. I haven’t checked geometry but these are likely to be less long / low / slack than the Whyte and the Bird but accordingly they will be better for 90% of the stuff you ride and probably a chunk lighter with better gearing.
  • sbis
    There really ought to be a thanks button on here. Looking at the Cube suggestions now and looks a great option. Mate has also suggested a Canyon Nueron AL 7 and raves about his/Canyon generally. Worth a look?
  • The Neuron looks nice - probably leans a little more trail than xc compared to the Cube but would still
    do a job. Looks like the al6 still has a front mech but the model up is 1x with GX Eagle.

You could also check YT and Radon as other German brands who maybe holding onto front mechs for their xc bikes.

However, all of the above are direct to consumer bikes so you may struggle to find one in the metal to even look at, let alone test ride.

Cube are stocked in a few shops in the uk so younought to be able to look at / stand over one and maybe even get a test ride.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Kona-Process-1 ... ension+MTB >&utm_content=24-10-2018&utm_campaign=HWeek30Wednesday
    This looks a steal. Under 2k with the discount code currently on the website.
  • Good spec for the money definitely with x01 eagle and pikes. Is it as heavy as other kona process bikes? My mates 134 is no lightweight and the one up is a right porker.

You do lose some top end on this bike compared to the 2x I think - you’d want bigger than a 32t front chainring I suspect. They are good quality gears though.
  • sbis
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, and double apologies for not reporting back . In the end the tax man ruled out a purchase. This time round cash is waiting and burning holes in pockets.

I'm again drowning with too many choices. Same requirement, same budget. Please just tell me what to buy!

Fork clearance remains my biggest bugbear on the Evostik mud I ride on even with a skinny front tyre.
  • joebristol
    joebristol Posts: 327
    If nothing has changed I’d still look at the Cubes if you want a front mech and a lightweight butnok all round trail bike. Looking back up the thread that Kona is probably a right porker and aimed more at the enduro market than the type of riding younsuggest you do.

Equally, on reflection the t-130 / Aeris 120 are good trail bikes but I think you’d definitely have to go 1x on them but go with a sram drivetrain for the 10t rear cog to avoid spinning out so easily.
  • sbis
    Thanks.

There’s still a handful of XL 2018 T130s for sale but I’d been swayed by the idea of a lighter XC bike (but admittedly not in appearance!). Quite fancied a Giant Anthem 2 29ER too after a ride of a mate’s Stumpjumper 29ER. I’dve gone for the Stumpy itself save that his has been so hopelessly unreliable (bearings/bushings) and I’ll kick myself if I wind up in the same position.
  • sbis
    I've seen a cracking deal on a 2018 Anthem 29ER. I am however confused by sizing. I'm 6'2, 34" inside leg and their chart suggests I'm a frame size large. Compared with the XL Bossnut I have, it's quite a bit smaller in every dimension. I've never felt the Bossnut was too big.

Is this some geometry voodoo? There isn't one near me to go try.

Thanks
  • sbis
    Thanks for that. How have you found your Anthem?
  • sbis
    edited March 2019
    Awesome. Just what I needed to hear, thanks. Only reservation is a more twitchy feeling bike and the loss of traction (or perceived loss) of narrower tyres.

Narrowed it down to Trance v Anthem. Demo arranged.
  • JBA
    Bear in mind that the Anthem 29er only has 100mm front and 90mm rear travel compared to 130mm front and 110mm rear for the 27.5 models.
    This may have a bearing on your decision.

• sbis
    JBA wrote:
    Bear in mind that the Anthem 29er only has 100mm front and 90mm rear travel compared to 130mm front and 110mm rear for the 27.5 models.
    This may have a bearing on your decision.

Thanks, I hadn't clocked that and have both spec sheets printed out on my desk.

I spend at least 4 months of the year in wet leaves/mud and I've noticed the traction benefit of wider Maxxis tyres on my Bossnut, so don't really want to go back.

Plan to sit on both tomorrow lunch.
  • sbis
    Oooh, very good to know. Does that still leave enough clearance so mud doesn’t jam the front wheel?
    Thanks