Ride London 2019 anyone?

Comments

• sherer wrote:
    anyone defer from last year ? was meant to be an email sent but I never received anything. I've emailed them this morning via the helpdesk and had nothing back.

Keep pestering them.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    So, having tried unsuccessfully via ballot since my first go in 2015, any tips on how to get in? We're thinking of doing a group entry from work (ironically, RideLondon HQ is literally across the road from us)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I/we failed to get into the main ride but got an email a few weeks later asking if I wanted to enter the Amstel Ride Together event for teams of four.

I entered than and got a place.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    SecretSam wrote:
    So, having tried unsuccessfully via ballot since my first go in 2015, any tips on how to get in? We're thinking of doing a group entry from work (ironically, RideLondon HQ is literally across the road from us)

Become a laydeeee. Blokes I know have struggled to get in. Just about every woman I know who's applied has got in.
    I appreciate this is a big commitment and I think I'll just take my chances in the ballot.
  • Fenix wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Become a laydeeee. Blokes I know have struggled to get in. Just about every woman I know who's applied has got in.
    I appreciate this is a big commitment and I think I'll just take my chances in the ballot.

Their stated aim is to get even more women in this year. If you want a virtually guaranteed shot, it’s time to do a McKinnon.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    SecretSam wrote:
    Have you tried knocking on the door and asking? :D
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    sherer wrote:
    anyone defer from last year ? was meant to be an email sent but I never received anything. I've emailed them this morning via the helpdesk and had nothing back.

Keep pestering them.
    seems the email saying yesterday was wrong. They have finally replied and said referred entries are being done in March
  • Fenix wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:

Their stated aim is to get even more women in this year. If you want a virtually guaranteed shot, it’s time to do a McKinnon.

might be easier to tick the box that says female, or register in the wife's name

• might be easier to tick the box that says female, or register in the wife's name

But nowhere near as funny as having a load of Nuevo trannies turning up to do the ride.

• might be easier to tick the box that says female, or register in the wife's name

But nowhere near as funny as having a load of Nuevo trannies turning up to do the ride.

I presume they would be clad in lycra

if I understand the snowflakes correctly then you just need to identify as female. If you turn up heavily bearded who are they to decide you are not female?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Got in this year!
  • Tashman
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Got in this year!
    How do you find out? first time I've entered this year. Is it postal or e-mail?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    when my brothers and I wanted to get in and ride, we registered the whole family - except for one sister-in-law who said she didn't want to ride it ... (??) entering the ballot cost nothing and all you needed was photo ID and an authorisation letter from the person winning a ballot spot ... iirc, one of my brothers rode as my sister ...
  • sniper68
    Tashman wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:
    Got in this year!
    How do you find out? first time I've entered this year. Is it postal or e-mail?
    Mail this morning.
    40039957913_030c4e4c2e.jpg
    Usual Blue envelope so thought it was a no but there's two styles apparently.
  • If you log in here it lets you know - https://hub.realbuzzregistrations.com/

Looks like I'm in for the 1st time ever, sweet.
  • gadgets
    gadgets Posts: 100
    did not get in again this year but having expected that I won't, I have a charity spot :) so I can join my wife who deferred her entry from last year.
    Synapse Disc 3 Ultegra '14/CAADX 5 105 '11
  • dov2711
    dov2711 Posts: 131
    My absolutely perfect record continues with another rejection. Every single year since the ride started. Thanks ride London :twisted:
  • Got in for the first time! Now to try and sort out the logistical nightmare of getting myself and my bike to the start. Can anyone recommend a hotel in the vicinity that has parking? Preferably one that won't add too much on to the riding I have to do for the day...
  • Tashman
    Oh bugger! Got my acceptance when I got home. Furthest I've ridden before I'd the 54 miles for the London 2 Brighton. Going to have to get some proper training going and dropping some serious weight
  • Tyresome
    Tyresome Posts: 113
    I got this today

aOTGSuC.jpg

So I decided to do the ride for Naomi House Hospice instead. They’ve got a 150 quid suggested minimum donation, so that’s very reasonable.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Pamplemoose - not staying there this year as I'm down for a few days so doing the serviced apartment thing, but have stayed at the Premier Inn on Haverstock Hill (Belsize Park) before - really handy for the motorway/north circular if you're heading that way home. Decent hotel, decent price for on-site parking, and a nice little warm up to the start - Camden Road/Holloway Road/ Highbury then up to the Olympic Park. Easy to get back too - just up to Euston Road, through Regents Park, and you're practically there. If you're travelling on the Saturday leave enough time to pick up your race pack from Excel - think they shut at five.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Tashman wrote:
    Oh bugger! Got my acceptance when I got home. Furthest I've ridden before I'd the 54 miles for the London 2 Brighton. Going to have to get some proper training going and dropping some serious weight
    Congrats. The year I did it, I worked up to 70 miles with about 90% of the climbing in RSL100 and I think that was enough. I wanted RSL to be my first 100 miler, so didn't go all the way in training. I would concentrate on overall fitness rather than weight loss, maintaining the effort for the distance. It's not a race.

I don't know what your goals are, but my advice is take time to enjoy the day. If your tired, stop and take photos, have a drink or snack and carry on. (Although the time cut off might be an issue)
  • Tashman
    mrfpb wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Congrats. The year I did it, I worked up to 70 miles with about 90% of the climbing in RSL100 and I think that was enough. I wanted RSL to be my first 100 miler, so didn't go all the way in training. I would concentrate on overall fitness rather than weight loss, maintaining the effort for the distance. It's not a race.

I don't know what your goals are, but my advice is take time to enjoy the day. If your tired, stop and take photos, have a drink or snack and carry on. (Although the time cut off might be an issue)
    Thanks for that. The weight loss will be a side effect of fitness hopefully! I live on the edge of the Sussex downs so it's all fairly lumpy around here too so should give a decent enough preparation. It's not far either to head up and recce some of the Surrey parts too which I might do.
  • GT29
    GT29 Posts: 53
    Tyresome wrote:
    I got this today

commiserations.jpg

So I decided to do the ride for Naomi House Hospice instead. They’ve got a 150 quid suggested minimum donation, so that’s very reasonable.

If anyone else if looking for a place, with a charity that wont demand a commitment to raise anything -

https://road.cc/content/news/255655-guaranteed-places-years-ridelondon-surrey-100

Lyme Disease Action - fundraising ( @ ) lymediseaseaction.org.uk
  • sniper68
    edited February 2019
    Stupid question of the day.
    When I go to the "pay" page it's states pay to enter 2019 Ballot.I've already been confirmed a provisional place pending payment.Is this standard with RL?
    *edit*
    Ignore I've just read the letter and payment opens tomorrow :oops:
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Tashman wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

Thanks for that. The weight loss will be a side effect of fitness hopefully! I live on the edge of the Sussex downs so it's all fairly lumpy around here too so should give a decent enough preparation. It's not far either to head up and recce some of the Surrey parts too which I might do.

I can let you have some routes if you're interested? I live near Steyning, so ride north west and east a lot. You can get almost to Dorking on quiet back roads, and once there you can fill your boots with hills. If you cut across to Ockley from Capel, you can get to the bottom of Leith Hill, and then if you go over there and down the other side, there's a left turn (not on the RL route) that takes you to the bottom of White Down. From there you can get round the top of Dorking and hit Boxhill, then come back down Pebble Hill and across at Betchworth and head back south on quiet roads as far as Horsham. If you can do that route, you'll be fine on RL. None of the RL hills are THAT hard; Leith Hill is the hardest, and I would say that's easier than Ditchling or Steyning Bostal.
  • Tashman
    DaveP1 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

I can let you have some routes if you're interested? I live near Steyning, so ride north west and east a lot. You can get almost to Dorking on quiet back roads, and once there you can fill your boots with hills. If you cut across to Ockley from Capel, you can get to the bottom of Leith Hill, and then if you go over there and down the other side, there's a left turn (not on the RL route) that takes you to the bottom of White Down. From there you can get round the top of Dorking and hit Boxhill, then come back down Pebble Hill and across at Betchworth and head back south on quiet roads as far as Horsham. If you can do that route, you'll be fine on RL. None of the RL hills are THAT hard; Leith Hill is the hardest, and I would say that's easier than Ditchling or Steyning Bostal.
    That's really useful. i'm near Lewes so Ditchling is within striking distance of home for me. I may look to build that into my training further on.
  • Am I in danger of setting a record for rejections in the ballot? Fifth year in a row now....I haven't run anyone's cat over. Ever!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Ti yred wrote:
    Am I in danger of setting a record for rejections in the ballot? Fifth year in a row now....I haven't run anyone's cat over. Ever!

I'm female, not based in London and have got in four times out of five. Make of that what you will.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Tashman
    I wonder if I was succesful as I'm slow!? Is the ballot weighted to try and spread the field?