Fancy something new.....Seeking advice......

donslow
donslow Posts: 69
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I’ll keep this as brief as I can

Long story short, ive only been road riding for a couple of years and now really starting to get into it, I currently own a Planet X pro carbon that I’ve upgraded to suit me along the way, it’s a medium frame which fits me just fine (im right on the sizing line between small and medium frames) and has done for the last 8000 or so miles I’ve done on it since I bought it last August

Anyway, I’m hankering after something different, for no other reason than, for a bit of a change and maybe an upgrade long the way

Mrs rules state, one in, one out, so in order for something new I have to sell this one on, I’ll be buying second hand as you tend to get more for your money and I haven’t really got much of that!

Looking for several things
Something quick
Something light
Something with disc brakes
Maybe something that will accommodate wider tyres so if I did fancy a little off road, I could....
Something sleek looking

I’m eyeing up cannondale synapse and giant tcr at the minute both with disc brakes. Budget for new bike will be largely dictated by my savings plus whatever I can get for the Planet X so unknown currently

Any recommendations?! Any experience with the bikes I’ve mentioned?! Any bikes I should be looking at?!

Any help would be massively helpful

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,514
    I have a rim braked tcr and there's no way I could fit off road tyres on it, I doubt it would take much more than 25mm slicks.
    Unless the disc brake version is much wider, I suspect that it would be out of the running on that criteria.

When I needed one bike to do both, I just got a cx bike and accepted that it wouldn't be as light as a pure road bike. For me, the off-road fun was more important than knocking a few minutes off local road routes.

I guess it depends how you prioritise road speed/performance against versatility.
  • donslow
    To be honest, the off road thing isn’t of massive importance, more of a bonus if it was possible

Mainly I guess I’m asking what road bikes are lightweight and have disc brakes would be worth looking at?!
  • https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-5 ... 54421.html

I reckon this ticks all the boxes, and it’s a bargain to boot.
  • It maybe easier to help if you posted a rough idea of budget.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Is "bike" a euphemism for "wife"? If so newer, younger, faster always wins :wink:

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    Surely the Planet X becomes your Winter bike.
  • I had the same "bike in - bike out" challenge and from my CX i went to a 2018 Cervelo C3 of which the prices have dropped a lot since the 2019 version has come out. It's an endurance bike which takes 32mm tyres although i have 35mm on mine currently. Much more suited to road than offroad but it handles tracks and trails well enough.

PS: mine CX bike is still here although i may need to decorate the kitchen for it to stay much longer..... but it will pay for a nice wheel set upgrade :D
  • donslow
    Unfortunately for me, the Planet X needs to be sold to find a new bike so I have to adhere to the one in one out rule on this one

Budget is looking to be around the 400 to 500 mark

What can or what would be worth looking at I get used, road frame with disc brakes for that sort of money

As someone said newer, faster
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Looking at your finances by the time you've sold the Planet X you're unlikely to have enough cash to buy a bike that's significantly better than what you now have - and could even conceivably end up downgrading. Can I gently suggest a re-think is in order.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • donslow
    Svetty wrote:
    Looking at your finances by the time you've sold the Planet X you're unlikely to have enough cash to buy a bike that's significantly better than what you now have - and could even conceivably end up downgrading. Can I gently suggest a re-think is in order.....

I had considered the same thing....
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Your PX is a good bike. I'd not swap for a second hand bike at £500 or so.

And we are heading into winter too - winterise the PX with guards and look next spring ?

No point in having a new bike for the cruddy weather.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Svetty wrote:

This.
  • donslow
    In hindsight I suspect more finances are needed really so will probably save up a bit more and get a proper upgrade

In the meantime, doesn’t hurt to have a few things to look at

Cannondale caadx anyone have any experiences with those?!