Freehub on an old Specialized

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
A friend has been given an old Specialized which seems good enough for what he wants except it has an issue.

Once he is going it is fine, but when starting the freehub often doesn't engage, so the pedals just spin - a bit of a bump start seems to get it going!

I've whipped the back wheel off and removed the 7spd cassette, and I've removed the freehub from the hub using a large allen key.

I've had a look and I could get a whole rear hub cheaper than the freehub on it's own. I've ordered the complete hub and now need to change it over. I plan to leave the hub shell alone and take the freehub off the new one and put it onto the old one.

I take it, it would be worth putting the new bearings (they are the loose balls) in too? and new grease? Is standard lithium grease OK (the stuff in my grease gun?)

It's all old Shimano stuff. The Hub is a FH-RM40. The cassette is 7 speed.

Any advice otherwise?

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Really depends on the the wear on the races. Assuming the one in the hub can not be removed, which is nearly always the case, clean out the grease and examine, if worn then you are better off lacing the rim and spokes onto the new hub.

Generally the cone races wear more due to a. There are smaller and b.they are fixed so you'll probably get away with it.
  • nbuuifx
    Thanks for the reply, is normal lithium grease OK, or does it need something special?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Lithium grease dries and goes sticky. Just use normal grease or wheel bearing grease.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nbuuifx
    All sorted - the races looked OK and the wheel feels good on the bearings now. Freehub works perfectly now.

Thanks for the advice.