Maxxis aggressor tyre

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited October 2018 in MTB buying advice
Anyone got one of these on there bike?

I’m in need of a new rear tyre and this is on my list.

I’ve been using a minion dhr 2 and looking at other options.

The tread pattern looks good but would it be a suitable all rounder even in the winter?

Looks more like a loose, hardpack kind of tyre to me.

Or should I just stick with the dhr 2?

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    At this time of year I'd be putting the dhr 2 on the bike.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • swod1
    robertpb wrote:
    At this time of year I'd be putting the dhr 2 on the bike.

I was thinking of taking off my front tyre high roller 2 to rear and putting a dhf on the front.

Still loads of wear left in front tyre though.
  • robertpb
    Sounds a good idea but I'd put a dhr 2 on the front for better braking.
  • swod1
    robertpb wrote:
    Sounds a good idea but I'd put a dhr 2 on the front for better braking.

I thought they were a rear specific tyre?

I have read about some using dhf front and rear.
  • robertpb
    When they brought out the 2 they used parts of the dhf which made it grip better in the corners from the old one, plus it brakes better than the dhf.

So now it's become the tyre of choice for the front, even some manufacturers put it on the front, just google it.
  • swod1
    robertpb wrote:
    When they brought out the 2 they used parts of the dhf which made it grip better in the corners from the old one, plus it brakes better than the dhf.

So now it's become the tyre of choice for the front, even some manufacturers put it on the front, just google it.

I’ve seen bikes with it on, I’ll have a look and now think I may buy two and run it front and back.
  • I prefer the dhf on the front over the dhr2. It’s a bit more predictable and progressive in the way it goes from grip to slip.

I do like the dhr2 on the back though - it gets good drive and brakes well but you can still get it a. Little loose on corners which is fun.

The aggressor is good in the summer though - definitely has less rolling resistance than the dhr2.

I’m talking about 2.3” width in both tyres. I have read somewhere the wider aggressor is better in wetter conditions than the 2.3 though.
  • swod1
    Hmm interesting think I’ll get a dhf and try the high roller 2 rear.

I won’t be getting 3c compound on rear again worn too quickly well it was cheap at the time of buying.