KMC 11 speed broken plate and wear % calculation

sam_anon
sam_anon Posts: 153
edited October 2018 in Workshop
So this happened: No idea how, any suggestions?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7VLM7S14yggUQtbZ9

I've removed the broken bit so now have a thin end and wide end:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2SCqoiVnLASCxvQaA

Guess I need a KMC pin to rejoin the two ends?

Took the opportunity to measure for wear, 6 links measured 153.86mm (up from standard 152.4mm) so in need of a replacement I think, is that correct? Over the 0.5% mark not quite at 1%.

Comments

• bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Sometimes you just get a bad batch, it may have been nothing that you'd have done
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you are going to join, get a master link, not a pin, which I'm not sure KMC even sell.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sam_anon
    cooldad wrote:
    If you are going to join, get a master link, not a pin, which I'm not sure KMC even sell.

So x2 master links in a chain? The chain already has one, it broke elsewhere.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    sam anon wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

To get home it's no problem but this chain is wear out so buy a new one.! :wink:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    sam anon wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I've used three before, when I miscalculated and needed to add a bit back in. Makes little difference.

But it does sound like yours is fucked.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    change the chain. It broke. it can break again
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • sam_anon

That reads quite aggressively, particularly so for those advertising their business!
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    sam anon wrote:

That reads quite aggressively, particularly so for those advertising their business!

I think you'll find you chose to interpret it as aggressive. It's the internet, get a grip.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your measuring's accurate I make that 1%, so it sounds like it might be time for a new chain anyway. But if you wanted to eke a few more miles out of that one, just lop off the outer half link with your chain tool so you have an inner at each end, and join with a missing link.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    He said it is worn and has already broken before -

"So x2 master links in a chain? The chain already has one, it broke elsewhere."

Not sure why but he seems reluctant to buy himself a new chain that will end this period of grief...

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Change the chain. It broke. It can break again...and probably will.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'm not aware of any mass breakage problems with any KMC chains. All kinds of things could be the cause of the breaks and maybe some have nothing to do KMC quality. As your chain is fairly worn I would just buy a new one and ride. Hang on to the old one if you like and possibly some evidence will develop that they are making some bad chains and you could get a refund but KMC on the whole is as about as reliable as you're going to find. thecycleclinic gave you some good advice IMO, didn't see anything aggressive about it. Two breaks in the same chain would tell me there's a good chance it will break again.
  • sam_anon
    Hello all. The chain has not broken before, I am not reluctant to change it, am collecting a new one tomorrow and I'm not after a refund (chain has done over 2k miles).

Happy Friday.
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    sam anon wrote:
    Hello all. The chain has not broken before, I am not reluctant to change it, am collecting a new one tomorrow and I'm not after a refund (chain has done over 2k miles).

Happy Friday.
    Allready over 2k miles and the chain is 1% (If your measuring's accurate) wear out, whow :roll: , what did you do with this chain.? :roll:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I really cant see how my post could be read as aggressive. It is blunt and to the point and that is needed sometimes. nothing aggressive about to point.

If a job is worth doing it is worth doing right.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I really cant see how my post could be read as aggressive. It is blunt and to the point and that is needed sometimes. nothing aggressive about to point.

If a job is worth doing it is worth doing right.

Totally agree, some people look for advice here bbut i suspect theyre looking for somethng else. A cuddle maybe.