Shimano Ultegra 6800 rear derailleur ---> r7000 or r8000?

boxrick
boxrick Posts: 38
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Hello! I'm currently in the process of getting one of my bikes rebuilt on a new frame. Sadly the rear shifting is terrible and I want a bigger range than the 12-28 that is currently present on the bike.

As a result I'm going to buy a new rear derailleur and cassette.

Right now I have full 6800 with hydraulic disc brakes. Should I go for the new r7000 105 derailleur and cassette? Or is it worth spending the extra on the r8000?

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I find Ultegra cassettes are more corrosion resistant than 105 so would lean to that. The mechs are functionally the same so the main criterion I would suggest is appearance.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Poor shifting is nothing to do with the function/poor performance of the RD 90% of the time.
  • If it can't be tuned out then you've likely got a bent hanger. Easily straightened with a hanger tool. My best investment for silky shifting.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you're needing a new rear mech to handle the bigger cassette fair enough. R7000 would be plenty good enough for me, both cassette and mech.
    Going for Ultegra would only save a couple of grams and give you slightly better kerb appeal. It could conceivably prove a tiny bit more durable.

As above, unless it's simply needing indexing properly, poor shifting is unlikely to be caused by the cassette or the rear mech. Bent hanger, or an issue with the cabling are more likely culprits
  • boxrick
    boxrick Posts: 38
    Cheers for the advice, sounds like the r7000 is the more favourable choice, as I said I'm mostly after a GS to take a larger cassette. This will be my winter / all weather bike, so durability is reasonably important. Will the R7000 do a better job than a 6800 ?

I also hear the ultegra cassettes are much better than the 105s, is there much truth in this?