TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Wild Wild Country - Netflix Documentary seris on a cult in an ashwan that moved to America - if it weren't a documentary, you'd never believe it
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Turn, on Amazon. 1st series decent, 2nd & 3rd are okay, but the 4th is pretty damned good.
    You have to watch the other 3 series to get the full context though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    1st episode of Goliath 2nd series (also on Amazon) is looking very promising.
    I never knew where the first series was going, and that's a good thing. On par with Bosch.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    Holy thread resurrection! Started watching Ray Donovan out of curiosity.
    What a start! What a cast! Fingers crossed it can maintain the set high bar.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    PBlakeney wrote:
    1st episode of Goliath 2nd series (also on Amazon) is looking very promising.
    I never knew where the first series was going, and that's a good thing. On par with Bosch.

Not as good as season one, but it's Billy Bob, enough said.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Jack Ryan on Amazon. If you like action, this one delivers in bundles and must have cost a fortune to make. There's a few 'just take your brain out and enjoy' moments but otherwise it's all round excellent stuff. Personally, I thought it better than any of the Ryan based movies.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • pblakeney
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Jack Ryan on Amazon....Personally, I thought it better than any of the Ryan based movies.
    I agree. Less crash bang wallop than the movies, more subtle.
    And the better for it.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Killing Eve, on iplayer.

Mesmerisingly good television.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Daniel B wrote:
    Killing Eve, on iplayer.

I really enjoyed this too. For once a programme livid up to the hype generated about it. Right up until the last 30 seconds...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Daniel B wrote:
    Killing Eve, on iplayer.

This^, made the bodyguard look embarrassingly bad (which it was)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Daniel B wrote:
    Killing Eve, on iplayer.

I thought the Bodyguard was a bit cheap and shallow given the hype it got, relatively entertaining though.

Haunting of Hill House anyone? I've not started watching it, and I'll have to wait until the OH is out...
  • daniel_b
    Tashman wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Killing Eve, on iplayer.

I really enjoyed this too. For once a programme livid up to the hype generated about it. Right up until the last 30 seconds...

I totally missed the hype, just saw it on iplayer, and decided to give it a watch while I was on the Turbo.

I know what you mean about the end, it was the only blot on the series - I wonder if it was altered late on as they had already decided they wanted a second series?

I did enjoy the bodyguard, as I love a bit of Keeley me, but I understand how the comparison is a bit jarring.
    BG was more traditional shock tv, where as KE was a bit more imaginative non formulaic television imho.

Best programs I have seen in recent years are Killing Eve, Maltese: The Mafia detective, Deutchsland 83.
    Deutschland 86 is reputed to be out next year.

I have also been watching strangers on ITV with John of the Simms who IS a good actor, but versus Killing Eve it's somewhat flat and not really set anything racing at all for me. it's still watchable though, but only that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man in the High Castle 3. I liked the first series, 2nd was good front and back, this series?
    Dunnoh, watched one episode and skipped the est
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    Not a series but looking forward to They Shall Not Grow Old. Looks like being one of those truly remarkable pieces of TV.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Enjoying these two so far.

Constantine
    Discovery Of Witches

Just been re watching The Strain,still cool.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    I'm struggling with Discovery of Witches, the wife has been watching it but I started to lose track in the second episode.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Recently caught on to Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. Loved it & watched both series in rapid succession with the sprogs (15 & 13 - both loved it too). A bit off the wall (based on the Douglas Adams books after all) but highly amusing & they clearly went to town on the second series.

That and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I'm not really sure why it works so well, it's just a lightweight police based sitcom. Maybe it's just the cast & characters? Anyway, it works for me. Good lighthearted fun (Captain Holt's emotional range is something to behold).
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Snowfall season 2,a lot better than the first,seems the first was putting characters in place,few good plots in the second
  • Enjoying Killing Eve

As above Brooklyn 99 is great fun.

But, Daredevil. Season 3 in particular is epic epic television. Particularly one 11 minute, continuous take......
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • DD season three was indeed a really good one and sadly probably the last for Matt Murdoch and pals now that Disney are pulling everything in house for their new streaming service. I'm not sure if they'll reboot with new actors, but who knows. That would be a big mistake IMO.

Just the second season of The Punisher and the next Jessica Jones then it could be bye bye for the Netflix guys :-(
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've not seen Snowfall plugged by the BBC this year ? I enjoyed last years though.

Has Taskmaster been mentioned on Dave ?

It's series 7 now and available on their app. Hilarious stuff. Well worth a watch.
  • daniel_b
    Upstart Crow on iplayer, intelligent comedy, and for me, really emphasises how sh1t most of the alleged sitcoms are.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ayjaycee
    Daniel B wrote:
    Upstart Crow on iplayer, intelligent comedy, and for me, really emphasises how sh1t most of the alleged sitcoms are.
    Just goes to show how we are all different. I switched on to what I think was the third or fourth episode of Series 1 thinking that if it was any good, I'd catch up with the rest. I lasted about 5 minutes before switching over whilst thinking it was one of the biggest steaming piles that I had ever seen. Maybe I should have given it longer!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • I thought house of cards was brilliant. Then just as they started filming the final season, season 6, Kevin spacey was sacked. I feared that it couldn't possibly work without spacey and having just finished watching season 6 i can confirm that my reservations were right. Absolute crap, very disappointed.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    'Lovesick' on Netflix surprised me, enjoyed it a lot more than I expected, reminded me of a mature 'men behaving badly' or 'Coupling'.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Catie's amazing machines.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I had to google that. Looks like it could be a good replacement for Top Gear.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    Loudermilk on Amazon was really good, just a shame they haven't got season 2 yet. Making a murderer on Netflix was also interesting to watched (I binge watched most of it).

I'm watching Rake at the moment which started well but seems to have gone downhill a bit after about the 4th episode.

And recommendations for a dark comedy?
  • ayjaycee
    edited November 2018
    Just finished watching 'Mr Inbetween' which is an Australian series about a hitman / gang enforcer who tries to combine that with an alter ego of 'normal' boyfriend and divorced dad. I thought it was a really good piece of work with violence and flashes of very dark humour throughout. The first season comprised six 30 minute episodes (23 minutes without ads) and I understand that a second is to be made. Spoiler Alert - the end of the 3rd episode involving dismembering a body for disposal is just brilliant.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Narcos is back on Amazon. Great shows so far.