My Bird Aeris 120

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited October 2018 in Your mountain bikes
Picked her up yesterday. Absolutely over the moon, such an amazing bike.

Spec:
Bird Aeris 120
Medium Long
Candy Orange
130mm Pike RC
Deluxe RT3
11 speed 11-46 M7000 SLX drivechain
Deore M6000 brakes with 203/180 rotors
Race Face Aeffect Bars 20mm rise 760mm wide
Race Face Aeffect Stem 40mm
Race Face Aeffect crank 32t
Race Face Aeffect 120mm dropper
Race Face Grippler grips 33mm
DTSwiss M1900 Spline 30 rims on DTSwiss hubs
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.6 front tyre - tubeless
Maxxis Ardent 2.4 rear tyre - tubeless
Mudhugger Shorty front guard
Nukeproof Horizon CS pedals

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nice. Now go get it dirty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Nice bike, apart from the clipless pedals lol

Are you putting an invisiframe kit on the bike? Seems to be the in thing nowadays.
  • jamski
    swod1 wrote:
    Nice bike, apart from the clipless pedals lol

Are you putting an invisiframe kit on the bike? Seems to be the in thing nowadays.

Thanks, and clipless is awesome! ;)

As for invisiframe, no, I don't think so. I love a good looking bike, and I love keeping them looking good. But it's not a quick job to do, certainly not well. I'm also not sure how 'invisible' it is, does much get in around the edges? I dunno, not convinced.

Just had a look on their site and there are places local to me that fit them. I might see how much that is.
  • swod1
    I can't get on with clips so using dmr vaults and five tens.

yeah its like a pre cut clear frame tape that you can put all over the frame made specifically for each bike.

depends if you want to keep it looking shiny, couple mates of mine have it on there santa cruz bikes but they cost loads so i'd have that on.

i wonder if Bird do a frame and fork bundle and then you can put whatever you want on it yourself.
  • jamski
    swod1 wrote:
    I can't get on with clips so using dmr vaults and five tens.

yeah its like a pre cut clear frame tape that you can put all over the frame made specifically for each bike.

depends if you want to keep it looking shiny, couple mates of mine have it on there santa cruz bikes but they cost loads so i'd have that on.

i wonder if Bird do a frame and fork bundle and then you can put whatever you want on it yourself.

This was more than pricey enough for me to want to keep it as perfect as possible. But it is a mountain bike at the end of the day.

Bird do just the frames, with the addition of a few bits you can add. But each each part on each bike is specced individually. They have a list, but will also source other parts if you want. It will just work out more expensive. The grips for instance they don't normally stock, but I wanted these specific ones so they got them for me.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    Nice looking bike and a good spec.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Very nice. 8)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    Very nice :)

Big front tyre :shock:

Have you weighed it yet out of interest?
  • jamski
    Very nice :)

Big front tyre :shock:

Have you weighed it yet out of interest?

It’s a 2.6 front. So used to all my mates with plus bikes it doesn’t seem wide! It’s a 2.4 on the rear, and a harder compound so it rolls faster. Both tubeless too. So pleased with it all.

You’re obsessed with weight! ;) It should be a little over 13kg but I haven’t weighed it. It doesn’t feel the lightest to pick up, but feels sprightly enough on the trails.

Climbs like a mountain goat and just wants to fly downhill.
  • JBA
    What's the fork clearance like with that 2.6" tyre, jamski?
    Specialized have a tyre sale on and I'm toying with the idea of a 2.6" Butcher for my Trance with 2017 Yari forks (non-boost).

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jamski
    JBA wrote:
    What's the fork clearance like with that 2.6" tyre, jamski?
    Specialized have a tyre sale on and I'm toying with the idea of a 2.6" Butcher for my Trance with 2017 Yari forks (non-boost).

There's acres of room! Far more than I was expecting. It's a 2018 boost though, so not sure how that's different to yours?

My mate is running a 3" on a Judy. All their 2018 boost forks seem to say up to a 2.8, but seems like you can push it a little. But with the 2.6 there is loads of room.
  • tallpaul_s
    tallpaul_s Posts: 130
    Nice 8) 8)

Looks great in the orange, and I agree on clipless, I've got some DMR V12's for mucking about on, but for normal riding I use clipless pedals.

If you don't want the full invisframe kit I'd recommend getting some protection tape for certain areas, bikesheild is good - and also some 3m 2228 rubber tape for any other areas you want to protect from chain slap.
  • JBA
    Invisiframe is great.
    I bought a second hand Anthem for my wife last summer. It was 18 months old but had been invisiframed from new and still looked immaculate.
    I started to get a few rub marks on the top tube of my Trance so bought just the one piece of film from Invisiframe and got my LBS to fit it and I'm glad I did. No more marking and the fit is spot on.
    Next time I buy a new bike I will budget for Invisiframe and get it applied before the first ride.

• JBA
    jamski wrote:
    There's acres of room! Far more than I was expecting. It's a 2018 boost though, so not sure how that's different to yours?

My mate is running a 3" on a Judy. All their 2018 boost forks seem to say up to a 2.8, but seems like you can push it a little. But with the 2.6 there is loads of room.

Cheers. I think I'll give it a go.

• jamski
    Had a great weekend riding. 13 easy miles yesterday, way more than I intended to do, then 10 miles round the Surrey Hills today.

Today was the real test, bike was amazing. Few hairy moments hanging on on trails I hadn't ridden before, but stayed on. The bike is totally perfect for around there. Was jumping more than ever, did my first gap jump, all be it a small one and landed a tad short. Used most of the rear travel, but not quite all. Fork could be softer, still had a fair bit left, but really liking how it rides, so will leave as is for now.

For those that know it we did Captain Clunk, Bo, Roller Coaster, Graveyard, Yogurt Pots, Telegraph Hill and Barry. Cracking couple of hours.
  • jamski
    Not all that much changed over the past few months. Just added some subtle Hope bling, Peaty push ons and finned Race Matrix pads, which squeal in the wet, but stop alright. Off to BPW in a couple of weeks, can't wait!

iSEDAEr.jpg

hBKNaxr.jpg
  • swod1
    Paint on frame looks good worthwhile buying the invisiframe kit.

I’ve not found a good pad compound that doesn’t squeal in wet conditions. maybe full organic pads but there easily glazed in my experience.

You might need some of them rubber cable protectors for your frame?
  • jamski
    swod1 wrote:
    Paint on frame looks good worthwhile buying the invisiframe kit.

I’ve not found a good pad compound that doesn’t squeal in wet conditions. maybe full organic pads but there easily glazed in my experience.

You might need some of them rubber cable protectors for your frame?

The cable routing is really well designed. The way the cables loop round the head tube means it doesn't actually touch. There are contact points further down which now have small invisiframe patches protecting it. Also have invisiframe on the boost rear end in case of heel strikes on the seat stays. :)
  • JBA
    Bird do a rubber grommet for the hole in the seat tube where the dropper cable passes through. That will protect the paint and help to stop water and crud getting in the tube.

• jamski
    JBA wrote:
    Bird do a rubber grommet for the hole in the seat tube where the dropper cable passes through. That will protect the paint and help to stop water and crud getting in the tube.

Yeah had seen that on some of them in their showroom. Think it was only the AM9 though so assumed it was only for them. I'll see if they have them on their site. Thanks.
  • jamski
    Looks like it's not the the 120, 145 or AM9?!

https://www.bird.bike/product/reverb-stealth-port-bung/
  • slc123
    It’s looking nice and very clean... are they dt Swiss 350 hubs on the wheels? Thinking about getting some for my wheel build for the trek.
  • jamski
    slc123 wrote:
    It’s looking nice and very clean... are they dt Swiss 350 hubs on the wheels? Thinking about getting some for my wheel build for the trek.

The first images it was literally brand new, so was as clean as it gets. :lol:

The lastest pictures it’s a bit kicker but had had a quick wash after the last ride.

Not sure what the hubs are to be honest. I’ll have a look at the order and see what they’re listed as and let you know.
  • jamski
    Nope, doesn’t say. The rims are M1900 Spline 30. I’ll have a look tomorrow and see if the hubs have any markings. I want to know now. :)
  • slc123
    A quick investigation says that the spline 1900 has the 370 hubs, which are the 3 pawl versions, whereas the 350s are the ratchet star version.

I am not sure of the particular differences, but I am sure someone on here may know!