N+1 do it all

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited November 2018 in Commuting chat
So this has probably been done a zillion times, but I'm looking to consolidate bikes again, getting rid of a mountain bike I never ride (see MTB classifieds, if you're interested), a single speed which is sat gathering dust and my Sigma as well.

Looking at a 1x10 gravel/adventure road/cyclocross that will take guards. The bike will be the workhorse commuter & weekend warrior (family trips on tow paths and occasional forest path style rides) so low maintenance and value for money are my main motivations here. £1k max.

Can I do better than a Planet X Full Monty?

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Will 1x10 work for a truly multi-purpose bike? I've been thinking along similar lines but 1x would put me off (getting dropped on the fun part of the clubrun? No thanks! I think a 34x48 chainset would be good.

Cube nuroad exc looks good due to the dynamo lights and mudguards. Downsides are the press fit BB and stem.

The old blue full monty frame looks nice. I wonder about future comparability issues with post disc brake mounts though.
  • Pinnacle Arkose X from Evans.
    Hydraulic Hylex brakes, but use a bar end shifter unless you spend out on those Grennivale (spelling?) custom Hylex with shifter.
    But takes mudguards with tyres up to 45mm.

Or maybe the Boardman ADV8.9 £900 if BC discount still is 10% there with all the recent BC changes.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    First thought was a Boardman CX, I picked up a damaged one off the Bay to use the parts for my bamboo build and was impressed with the quality, unfortunately the new model has dropped a level for the same money. As a result the Full Monty looks like better value now.
    Looking further both have 11/42 cassettes, last year's had a 10/42 which is a lot more expensive so there's more cost cutting. Full Monty has a threaded BB, Boardman is press fit so another plus for the FM.
  • london-red
    Thanks all - appreciated. Mechanical v hydraulic... Given I'll be unlikely to use this in serious anger, are hydraulics really so important? I seem to have coped pretty well with rim brakes so far, so mech discs don't seem so bad...
  • I went with a Spesh Diverge E5 for £800, I only got 8 speed Claris but traded it with a mate for some 105 (it ticked other boxes of normal BB, you could use after market guards and thru axles front and rear in a reasonably common standard). The big drawback is not having hydro brakes so i'd try and find something with them. As for 1x unless you have a minimum 46T upfront (they don't) then it doesn't really work as a road bike alternative. Given you can now get them for £640 why not do that and then sort the groupset?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Will 1x10 work for a truly multi-purpose bike? I've been thinking along similar lines but 1x would put me off (getting dropped on the fun part of the clubrun? No thanks! I think a 34x48 chainset would be good.

Cube nuroad exc looks good due to the dynamo lights and mudguards. Downsides are the press fit BB and stem.

The old blue full monty frame looks nice. I wonder about future comparability issues with post disc brake mounts though.

I've migrated to this idea as well; I love the idea of the 2018 nuroad exc, and if paying cash it's now just about possible to get it at £1k, and am still digging around that way for one to buy under Halfords C2W.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • veronese68
    London-Red wrote:
    Mechanical v hydraulic... Given I'll be unlikely to use this in serious anger, are hydraulics really so important?
    I would say so.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I went with a Spesh Diverge E5 for £800, I only got 8 speed Claris but traded it with a mate for some 105 (it ticked other boxes of normal BB, you could use after market guards and thru axles front and rear in a reasonably common standard). The big drawback is not having hydro brakes so i'd try and find something with them. As for 1x unless you have a minimum 46T upfront (they don't) then it doesn't really work as a road bike alternative. Given you can now get them for £640 why not do that and then sort the groupset?

Aye, im currently looking at the 2019 Diverge E5 Elite, which comes as Tiagra 4700, so 10spd, and sits just under the 1k C2W magic limit.

However, I'd be going for the full monty if planet-x took C2W vouchers.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • london-red
    I went with a Spesh Diverge E5 for £800, I only got 8 speed Claris but traded it with a mate for some 105 (it ticked other boxes of normal BB, you could use after market guards and thru axles front and rear in a reasonably common standard). The big drawback is not having hydro brakes so i'd try and find something with them. As for 1x unless you have a minimum 46T upfront (they don't) then it doesn't really work as a road bike alternative. Given you can now get them for £640 why not do that and then sort the groupset?

Interesting - I hadn't really thought about the risk of spinning out on a 1x, but a 42x11 set up on 38mm tyres comes up a little short (110" v 105") in terms of gear inches as a 50x12 on 25mm. I do use 50x12 on the commute, but only rarely and I could probably up my spinning abilities to close the gap... I'll still run my summer bike for weekend road stuff. (If I ever manage to get out again.)
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    Mechanical v hydraulic... Given I'll be unlikely to use this in serious anger, are hydraulics really so important?
    I would say so.

Okay, I think you said that last time as well :D
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    56cm Felt VR40 available for £800 from here:

https://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/m10b0s6 ... -VR40-2018

You can get some pretty wide 35mm rubber on it to handle the rougher stuff but it shouldn't be to the detriment of it's on road ability, it also has some pretty low gearing so climbs won't be an issue.
  • veronese68
    London-Red wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    I would say so.
    Okay, I think you said that last time as well :D
    I have been known to repeat myself and get quite evangelical about some things, especially after beer. :oops:
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Can’t help on the bike choice, but isn’t this N-2 rather than N+1?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • london-red
    figbat wrote:
    Can’t help on the bike choice, but isn’t this N-2 rather than N+1?

:lol: Algebra was never my strong point!
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    I think I had similar requirements to you. I ended up with a used 2017 caadx apex1 with upgraded/lighter finishing kit for about £400 on ebay (with no wheels). That gave me clearance, hydraulic discs, rack/mudguard mounts and 1x. I added some niceish wheels, 32 mm road tyres, cassette (11-42) etc. and had a super functional bike for not a lot of cash which ticks a lot of boxes i.e. reasonably light, decent clearance for larger tyres, the hydros, the nicer than stock off the peg bike wheels. I spent a bit more on a bigger chainring (36 -> 44) and a set of used wheels on the classifieds here, some cx tyres and another cassette so I now have a bike to commute on that I can take off-road at the weekend even if it's muddy.
    Very interested to see how you get on and what you choose. I had a hankering for a spacechicken at one point, but once I'd seen it I couldn't look past the caadx I'd found on ebay.
  • london-red
    kingdav wrote:
    I think I had similar requirements to you. I ended up with a used 2017 caadx apex1 with upgraded/lighter finishing kit for about £400 on ebay (with no wheels). That gave me clearance, hydraulic discs, rack/mudguard mounts and 1x. I added some niceish wheels, 32 mm road tyres, cassette (11-42) etc. and had a super functional bike for not a lot of cash which ticks a lot of boxes i.e. reasonably light, decent clearance for larger tyres, the hydros, the nicer than stock off the peg bike wheels. I spent a bit more on a bigger chainring (36 -> 44) and a set of used wheels on the classifieds here, some cx tyres and another cassette so I now have a bike to commute on that I can take off-road at the weekend even if it's muddy.
    Very interested to see how you get on and what you choose. I had a hankering for a spacechicken at one point, but once I'd seen it I couldn't look past the caadx I'd found on ebay.

That actually seems like a good option - I've looked at the CAADX and like it. It ticks a lot of boxes actually, but I was put off by the double chainset. My other problem is that I'm done with building bikes. I do it badly and with impatience, so will buy something off the peg for this.

My shortlist is getting longer, and my eyes being turned by bikes well out of my budget - Whyte Glencoe and NS RAG+ to name a couple...

Will let you know how I get on.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    London-Red wrote:
    kingdav wrote:

That actually seems like a good option - I've looked at the CAADX and like it. It ticks a lot of boxes actually, but I was put off by the double chainset. My other problem is that I'm done with building bikes. I do it badly and with impatience, so will buy something off the peg for this.

My shortlist is getting longer, and my eyes being turned by bikes well out of my budget - Whyte Glencoe and NS RAG+ to name a couple...

Will let you know how I get on.

I was just about to suggest a CAADX........
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My PX XLS does the job for all my off-road, commuting and family ride needs.

The 46/36 set up is fine. The wider tyres mean that I don't ever feel the need to go to a 50/34 for the commute. 36 is a bit low for the commute once I get off the trail in RP - look how much I was spinning last night...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • london-red
    cjcp wrote:

The 46/36 set up is fine. The wider tyres mean that I don't ever feel the need to go to a 50/34 for the commute. 36 is a bit low for the commute once I get off the trail in RP - look how much I was spinning last night...

The fact you can only use your 36 justifies why I'm looking to go down the 1x route :D

Oh, and I'm only just starting to recover after your the conversational pace you set last night...
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I thought I'd instantly want to upgrade the mech discs (TRP Spyres) on my Cube NuRoad but to be honest I've been more than happy with them. Coming from SLX hydros on my MTB it did take a little getting used to the different feel and bite point, but they haven't let me down in any conditions so far. So if you find a bike with mech discs that you otherwise really like I wouldn't let the brakes put you off (unless they're BB5s, which are just terrible).
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • london-red
    CitizenLee wrote:
    I thought I'd instantly want to upgrade the mech discs (TRP Spyres) on my Cube NuRoad but to be honest I've been more than happy with them. Coming from SLX hydros on my MTB it did take a little getting used to the different feel and bite point, but they haven't let me down in any conditions so far. So if you find a bike with mech discs that you otherwise really like I wouldn't let the brakes put you off (unless they're BB5s, which are just terrible).

That's useful to know - thanks. I saw a dude with mechanicals today and he seemed to stop okay...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    London-Red wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

The fact you can only use your 36 justifies why I'm looking to go down the 1x route :D

Oh, and I'm only just starting to recover after your the conversational pace you set last night...

:) Legs felt a bit heavy this morning, tbh. Buying a new chainset asap; I can't be doing with this spinning.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CitizenLee wrote:

+1
    I also have TRP Spyres and they’re good. Different, but good.
    Hydraulic disc brakes are fashionable these days like carbon forks. It depends on your riding but unless you’re spending silly money often hydraulic disc brakes, like carbon forks, are not the best option. For me TRP Spyres are a better choice than cheap hydraulic disc brakes.
  • london-red
    Thanks for all the replies! Helpful.

Quick question; I need to remove my front wheel for storage and a lot of the bikes I'm considering have thru axles. Would this be a PITA? Or are they as straightforward as QR? I literally have no idea. Thanks.
  • veronese68
    If the 12mm road ones are the same as the 15mm on my MTB they are slightly easier than doing a QR on a bike with lawyer tabs.
    To remove you flip the lever, unscrew the axle using said lever as you would with a QR. But there is no need to hold the nut on the other side. Pull the axle out and remove the wheel. To refit put the wheel in, it kind of sits in a little depression so difficult to get it in the wrong place. Push the axle through and tighten all the way, no messing with getting it to just the right place, then flip the lever over out of the way.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    London-Red wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies! Helpful.

Quick question; I need to remove my front wheel for storage and a lot of the bikes I'm considering have thru axles. Would this be a PITA? Or are they as straightforward as QR? I literally have no idea. Thanks.

Dead easy. Flip the clamp just like a QR and then unscrew just like a QR. The only difference is that you don't have a couple of little springs or the screw cap from the other end to loose.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Pita for some fork mount roof racks and work strands.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I'll chip in as someone who went from mechanical (Spyre's) to hydro brakes.

Both get you stopped, but mechanical are a royal PITA to keep maintained. I only changed bikes as I was so fed up of the fettling required.

The extra it might cost will be nothing compared to the cost of new shifters.
  • london-red
    Thanks all.. so, I'm still a bit all over the place here, but my current shortlist is:

1) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vitus-energie-c ... 1x11-2019/

2) https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXFMAPE ... ravel-bike

3) https://www.ubyk.co.uk/ns-bikes-rag-gra ... 2018/76551

Would appreciate any advice :|
  • veronese68
    Of those I like the look of option 3 as it will take wider tyres and 27.5 if necessary. The Vitus looks good too and a bit more up to date then the Planet X which is still on QR so will have 135mm rear dropouts, the other 2 are at 142 which is the way things are going.
    My bike is 135 and QR and it's not a problem, but if you're buying a new bike you might as well go for the later standards.