Currys PC World Buyer Beware

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
edited October 2018 in The cake stop
I'm pre-empting a problem, so was looking for advice from the sage heads on Cake Stop.
I bought a NAS drive (WD MyCloud) advertised as compatible with MacOsx which it is, problem is it's not compatible with a suite of programmes I run due to a software conflict. The tech helpline at WD, Apple, Adobe and PC World have all failed to come up with a solution. Can I take the product back and get a refund or exchange? PC World helpline say doubtful as it's been opened, Trading Standards say it's up to the store as it wasn't mis-sold. Apparently I should have checked it would work with the programmes before I bought it. Not sure how I would have done that without opening the box and trying it.
Anybody been through a similar situation and resolved it?
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    No (I don't have a need for a NAS drive.) However, they aren't guaranteed to work with anything so it's vital to ask at time of purchase rather than assume as you have been told. It's really a matter of whether the store is in a good mood or not :(

I would not trust Currys/PC World anyway. We bought a cooker off 'em having been assured we could get jets to convert it to bottle gas and told them the cooker would have been useless to us without. We ordered the jets at time of purchase and the cooker arrived without them. It was the devil's own job to get Currys to obtain the jets. In the end we got them but it was an unpleasant business and a huge waste of time and effort. That was with a written agreement; good luck if you only have a verbal assurance.
  • bianchimoon
    We had a similar problem with a them and cooker we ordered and needed calor gas jets, ended up buying them ourselves from Germany as Curry's were not interested in going out of their way. Will try and discuss reasonably with them, but may end up trying the credit card company with a section 75 Claim :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    I've got a WD My Cloud NAS drive running on our home network with 2x PC's, one laptop and an iPhone all connecting OK.

Had initial problems mapping the drive so raised a ticket with WD. A very nice young woman from an undisclosed location in Europe called me and talked me through the settings. There was an unresolved issue that she had to call me back on. She called back a day later at exactly the time we arranged and resolved the problem. WD Support was exemplary.

What software are you having problems with and what is the conflict issue?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    I'm currently waiting in for a tumble dryer to be delivered for the fourth time.

First time they went to the wrong address - in the days of sat nav. :roll:

Second time I was given a 9 - 1 delivery slot, that didn't happen. Apparently they arrived at 3.30, while I was on the school run, but they didn't leave a card so I've no idea if they actually made it to the right house.

Third time I was again promised a 9 - 1 delivery, this time I stayed in all day and they didn't arrive or contact me. I rang their 'help desk' at 3 to be told they were running late and would be with me by 4. I rang at 5 to be told that the drivers had turned off their phone and couldn't be contacted. I rang again at 6 to be told that the drivers had gone home.

When I tried to rearrange delivery, I was told that their system was down, however, the chap said today was good for them, he said he would make a note of it and get back to me if it was a problem.

I've had no call or confirmation of delivery for today, somehow I doubt I'll see it today.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,943
    joe2008 wrote:
    I'm currently waiting in for a tumble dryer to be delivered for the fourth time.

First time they went to the wrong address - in the days of sat nav. :roll:

Second time I was given a 9 - 1 delivery slot, that didn't happen. Apparently they arrived at 3.30, while I was on the school run, but they didn't leave a card so I've no idea if they actually made it to the right house.

Third time I was again promised a 9 - 1 delivery, this time I stayed in all day and they didn't arrive or contact me. I rang their 'help desk' at 3 to be told they were running late and would be with me by 4. I rang at 5 to be told that the drivers had turned off their phone and couldn't be contacted. I rang again at 6 to be told that the drivers had gone home.

When I tried to rearrange delivery, I was told that their system was down, however, the chap said today was good for them, he said he would make a note of it and get back to me if it was a problem.

I've had no call or confirmation of delivery for today, somehow I doubt I'll see it today.

I usually buy stuff that's there in the shop and take it with me for this reason. It limits the choice, but at least i get it home myself.
    (the benefits of having a estate car)

The older I get, the better I was.

• bianchimoon
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    I've got a WD My Cloud NAS drive running on our home network with 2x PC's, one laptop and an iPhone all connecting OK.

Had initial problems mapping the drive so raised a ticket with WD. A very nice young woman from an undisclosed location in Europe called me and talked me through the settings. There was an unresolved issue that she had to call me back on. She called back a day later at exactly the time we arranged and resolved the problem. WD Support was exemplary.

It's the Adobe Creative Cloud, causes IDD to hang up, spinning beach ball woes
  • photonic69
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Which Adobe products are you trying to use with the WD? I hear that Lightroom doesn't like images and catalogues to be on NAS drives as the transfer rate is not high enough.

• bianchimoon
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Which Adobe products are you trying to use with the WD? I hear that Lightroom doesn't like images and catalogues to be on NAS drives as the transfer rate is not high enough.
    InDesign was having trouble, none of the files were on the NAS, everyones unsure about why the conflict happened, but it only disappeared after uninstalling MyCloud
  • photonic69
    Very little experience with InDesign I'm afraid. More of a Lightroom and Photoshop man.

I guess you've seen this:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/kb/ ... erver.html

Did you raise a ticket with WD support?

• bianchimoon
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    Very little experience with InDesign I'm afraid. More of a Lightroom and Photoshop man.

I guess you've seen this:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/kb/ ... erver.html

Did you raise a ticket with WD support?
    Yes, it's not a known issue, re the link, the files are saved to the HD rather than the external server, I did try and set it up with time machine (Mac Back-up) and to save 450Gb it was going to take a month, so used standard 2Tb drive and it took less than 3 hrs. The WD is quiet a slow piece of kit it appears
  • JeemyW
    JeemyW Posts: 61
    Currys are brutal. Our dishwasher broke and we bought a new one from them, paid for the install and removal @ £25 each.

When the guys turned up they said they couldn't do it because it was an integrated dishwasher (with a matching wood panel stuck to the front) and they'd assumed it was free-standing.

I pointed out it was just a glued on panel and I'd already removed the plinths etc but they flatly refused. Said it would be a different team and despite the fact that they'd arrived within 2-3 days of order, it would be 2-3 weeks before the other team could come out and an extra £40.

I sent them away and it turned out there were 4 screws to remove then it came right out and plumbed right in. I am still chasing refund of my £50 a year later.

WRT NAS drives I bought an LG and am on Mac. Its never worked properly despite technically being accessible over the web, so surely it doesn't matter what kind of computer you are using.

I bought a PC a little while back and it worked instantly. PC got sent back in the end but the only things I've had that work were the rack-mountable ones, the brand/type sadly I can't remember.

These days I just buy hard drives and the Chinese USB cases, you can get them to hold anything from 1 drive @ £5, to one that holds 3 x 2.5" and 3 x 3.5" drives for about £30.

WRT your return, if you bought it over the internet under Distance Selling Regulations you have 14 days to return it regardless of anything.

I use InDesign daily and never had any problems with drives that work under other circumstances.

Currys are brutal. Our dishwasher broke and we bought a new one from them, paid for the install and removal @ £25 each.

When the guys turned up they said they couldn't do it because it was an integrated dishwasher (with a matching wood panel stuck to the front) and they'd assumed it was free-standing.

I pointed out it was just a glued on panel and I'd already removed the plinths etc but they flatly refused. Said it would be a different team and despite the fact that they'd arrived within 2-3 days of order, it would be 2-3 weeks before the other team could come out and an extra £40.

I sent them away and it turned out there were 4 screws to remove then it came right out and plumbed right in. I am still chasing refund of my £50 a year later.

WRT NAS drives I bought an LG and am on Mac. Its never worked properly despite technically being accessible over the web, so surely it doesn't matter what kind of computer you are using.

I bought a PC a little while back and it worked instantly. PC got sent back in the end but the only things I've had that work were the rack-mountable ones, the brand/type sadly I can't remember.

These days I just buy hard drives and the Chinese USB cases, you can get them to hold anything from 1 drive @ £5, to one that holds 3 x 2.5" and 3 x 3.5" drives for about £30.

WRT your return, if you bought it over the internet under Distance Selling Regulations you have 14 days to return it regardless of anything.

I use InDesign daily and never had any problems with drives that work under other circumstances. Have you seen this hotfix?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In contrast our John Lewis dishwasher delivery / install was exemplary. Bang on time. Pleasant and professional. Happy to transfer the wooden door front from the old appliance to the new, and trim a bit from the plinth because the new machine needed a bit more clearance. Old machine and all the packaging whisked away.
  • JeemyW
    Oh mate. I used to love John Lewis. When me and my then-new wife bought our first house we had little money; the whole of both our families came round the day we moved in and we all painted the house (which was every shade of pink imaginable, they must have been colorblind), we all chipped in, we worked really hard.

We had no furniture aside from a donated bed, and a second-hand cot for the kids. No couch for the living room, we just had some picnic chairs.

My aunt and uncle came up the following week and gave us £300 of John Lewis vouchers. We were so excited and agonised over whether to get a couch or sort the bathroom. In the end we bought a second-hand couch, and usig the JL vouchers, bought a big mirrored cabinet for the bathroom.

It arrived, smashed into a million pieces. We reported it to JL and they said they'd replace it, but we would have to buy another one, then return that one, and then they'd refund us within 5-7 days. We did so, and the next cabinet arrived....smashed into a million pieces again.

So we went through the process again. Third cabinet, smashed. I called them and they wanted us to buy a THIRD cabinet. They must have all been smashed before they even shipped them. At this point it would have been close to £1,000 we'd be out - we didn't have the money to do so. So I said we'd just have to return the cabinet.

At this point they became really difficult, and said if we didn't want an exchange, we'd have to go through a different procedure to get the money back and it could be up to 3 weeks before we got a refund on cabinet 3, the second one we'd paid for. And they wouldn't refund us for cabinet 1 - we'd get a gift card back. Fair enough, that's how we paid - but we didn't want anything further at that point and had to also find the money for a bathroom cabinet. The vouchers were useless at that point.

Eventually we used the JL vouchers to buy Christmas presents for everybody. But they were nothing short of awful.
  • robert88
    JeemyW wrote:
    Oh mate. I used to love John Lewis. When me and my then-new wife bought our first house we had little money; the whole of both our families came round the day we moved in and we all painted the house (which was every shade of pink imaginable, they must have been colorblind), we all chipped in, we worked really hard.

We had no furniture aside from a donated bed, and a second-hand cot for the kids. No couch for the living room, we just had some picnic chairs.

My aunt and uncle came up the following week and gave us £300 of John Lewis vouchers. We were so excited and agonised over whether to get a couch or sort the bathroom. In the end we bought a second-hand couch, and usig the JL vouchers, bought a big mirrored cabinet for the bathroom.

It arrived, smashed into a million pieces. We reported it to JL and they said they'd replace it, but we would have to buy another one, then return that one, and then they'd refund us within 5-7 days. We did so, and the next cabinet arrived....smashed into a million pieces again.

So we went through the process again. Third cabinet, smashed. I called them and they wanted us to buy a THIRD cabinet. They must have all been smashed before they even shipped them. At this point it would have been close to £1,000 we'd be out - we didn't have the money to do so. So I said we'd just have to return the cabinet.

At this point they became really difficult, and said if we didn't want an exchange, we'd have to go through a different procedure to get the money back and it could be up to 3 weeks before we got a refund on cabinet 3, the second one we'd paid for. And they wouldn't refund us for cabinet 1 - we'd get a gift card back. Fair enough, that's how we paid - but we didn't want anything further at that point and had to also find the money for a bathroom cabinet. The vouchers were useless at that point.

Eventually we used the JL vouchers to buy Christmas presents for everybody. But they were nothing short of awful.

On the face of it, you were conned.

This explains why:
    How to complain if you receive damaged goods in the post
    Who is liable if my goods are damaged in transit?
    If goods are delivered to you in a damaged condition, the Consumer Rights Act makes the retailer responsible for remedying the situation.
  • JeemyW
    On the face of it, you were conned.

They didn't deny the damage, or refuse to refund. And they did rectify the situation. They acted within the terms of the law. They just didn't provide any form of good customer service.

What they did that annoyed me, was take our money for further supply, repeatedly, citing bank restrictions. And the result was slow, and there was no lenience. Its just not what you expect from John Lewis. These are the people that used to provide extended warranties on appliances & electronics because they wanted to be better.

I have several businesses, I use Worldpay, Streamline, Stripe, Braintree, tons of card providers. When you refund somebody's card, its immediate to you; even if it takes 2-3 days to get to them. It gets authorised and its then up to the provider to fulfil the transaction. Plus, if something is damaged, you don't HAVE to charge me for a replacement. You can collect the broken one, and deliver me a new one, on trust, its all provable. Its not like I wanted 3 bathroom cabinets for my tiny bathroom!

They were simply holding the money for a period of time. There are no bank restrictions. You don't HAVE to take somebody's money a second time. And while that's understandable to a degree; when it gets to time 3, or time 4! - to keep taking the money and not refunding it for weeks, is pretty rotten.

And while that's fine if you are trying to prevent fraud etc, after 3 deliveries of smashed glass and £1000 taken from the customer, to show no lenience in the matter and refuse to replace the damaged goods without us buying a replacement in advance of the RMA being dealt with, put me off them for life.
  • robert88
    I'd have been very annoyed myself. Never heard of taking money for further supply, that's a new one!
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Had a delivery for a tumble dryer from Curry's a few years ago. Booked - and paid - for a 12-4pm slot, since I worked until around 1am those days. Half 4 came and went and no sign. Nipped outside only to find a card stuck on the outside of my letterbox, time stamped 5.50am. I rang back and played absolute merry hell (as my Mother would refer to it) with them. Within the hour someone delivered it in an estate car. I have no idea how it happened, and when I called customer services they refunded my delivery fee.

As for the OP, really the onus is on you to prove that you were mis-sold something. Otherwise, you're relying on the manager being in a good mood.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    AO.COM everytime. We bought everything for our new kitchen from them.

Service was fantastic. Even delivered a replacement fridge, after the first had a dent on the door, on a Sunday. I reported the problem lunchtime Saturday, replacement arrived Sunday 1100.

Guy on the phone was superb, friendly, funny and very helpful.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Airbus industries for me. I always buy my private planes from them. GREAT customer service, choice of colours and they guarantee a free replacement if it crashes!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • bianchimoon
    An update from my OP after all the negative talk from Curry’s telephone helplines, and trading standards, I took the item back to a local branch, they didn’t even open the box, could have had a brick in, just refunded the money back to my card. Weird going on.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,719
    Polite face to face always gets the best results.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robert88
    It was clearly good mood day.

(actually, I tipped them off)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Best delivery I had was from Co-op electrical, ordered a washing machine when in Barcelona and chose delivery day for day after I got back so I could do use it straight away. As I was in departure lounge a text message advising me my item would be delivered between 7 and 9 the next day so I set the alarm despite getting back home after 1am. Woke up 5 minutes before the delivery window and looked out of the window and there was a van with my washing machine on the tail lift, told the guys to leave it in the living room and went back to bed for a few more hours and plumbed the machine in later.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Fantastic story and one that needs to be seen. Can I buy the film rights - we could call it - Laundry Equipment Delivery from the Co-Op. I can get Alexander Solzhenitsyn to do the screenplay and starring Rosamund Pike as the deleivery person, Skippy the Bush Kangaroo as yourself and Robert de Niro as the accounts girl in the co-op.

It will be massive We can get Her Majesty to present you with an MBE for flying back from Malta at 1 am and film that too.

Amazing story, amazing person, amazing washing machine.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,719
    I'd watch that in preference to Peppa Pig.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    We've had similar good experiences with the Co-op. No drama whatsoever, like clockwork.

Wish they ran Anglia trains....
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Big Harv wrote:
    We've had similar good experiences with the Co-op.

I also bagged 10% discount too and when I bought a fridge freezer off them several years ago bagged 20% saving :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.