Integrated crown race

Vino'sGhost
Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Soooo has anyone ever seen one of these wear to the point the fork is finished?

Comments

• craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I haven't, any pics?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I would have hoped it would be obvious the bearing was shot before it got to that point. Presumably this was not the case.
    Mind you, I've seen a car brake caliper that was removed because the wheel bearing was so worn the brake disc ground it's way through the body of the caliper until it got to the brake fluid. The guy only noticed he had a problem when his brakes failed.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I suppose it possible if the headset is ridden loose for a good while. Thats the only way it could happen.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Thanks everyone, I'll go ahead and buy the frameset then. :)
  • One of my bikes has an integrated crown race, it was knackered after the third set of bearings. The frame and fork came with a lifetime guarantee, they replaced the fork with no questions asked.
  • veronese68
    Ouch! But you'll check the headset bearings more often.
    But seriously, I'd expect there to be a lot of play before this could happen. Is it worth approaching the manufacturer?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

Can't you just buy the fork? Or has it gone unnoticed to the point it's buggered the headtube as well??
  • Vino'sGhost
    no sorry i haven't bought the frame yet, I was just concerned that it might be a pain in the arse down the line like those trek bottom brackets.

These frames are so expensive i would hope to get 5 or 6 years use as an absolute minimum so thats several headsets worth.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    These frames are so expensive i would hope to get 5 or 6 years use as an absolute minimum so thats several headsets worth.
    Cyclocross?? I can't imagine a road bike headset only lasting a year or two.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Vino'sGhost
    Svetty wrote:
    Cyclocross?? I can't imagine a road bike headset only lasting a year or two.....

Road bike caad12 :)
  • veronese68
    Aah, for a moment I thought you’d done it. I’m sure anyone with sense would notice if the bearings got bad enough to do that sort of damage.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Aah, for a moment I thought you’d done it. I’m sure anyone with sense would notice if the bearings got bad enough to do that sort of damage.

Probably when they were juddering and losing traction lol