voodoo gears

somme55
somme55 Posts: 3
edited October 2018 in MTB beginners
hi i wont to change the gears on my voodoo hoodoo so i can see which gears im in
any idea which will be the best gears to buy :wink:

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Shimano gears have indicator windows.

If you change to single chainring, then you don't really need a gear indicator, just keep changing gear as required until you run out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    somme55 wrote:
    hi i wont to change the gears on my voodoo hoodoo so i can see which gears im in

Why?

Change so you are in the right gear. Number is irrelevant.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As above, why do you want indicators to see what gear you are in?
    If your legs are going around too fast, change up. If pedalling is getting really hard, change down.
    You can easily glance down between your legs to see which gear you are in.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • somme55 wrote:
    cheers lads :D
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Shimano shifter. You don't need to change the rest. Just make sure the shifter has the same number of gears as the bike. Look in Chain reaction cycles - MTB - gear shifters.

Apologies for the more advanced responses.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Voodoo Hoodoo has 1x transmission. In other words one ring at the front.
    I too can't understand why you need to know what gear you are in at the back. As someone said earlier, change up or down depending upon what you need. I used to have a 3x transmission, so I can see the advantage of knowing where the heck I was as there was so much overlap between gears. Even when I went 2x, I found the gear indicators of use. But as soon as I went 1x, I removed the indicator from the shifter. Now, as you have discovered, 1x shifters don't even come with indicators. There is a message there!

By the way, the one and only time I rode at night (bar lights only), I couldn't even see the shifters, so indicators were useless. :shock: