Unable to get tubeless ready tyres back on

dgendy
dgendy Posts: 26
edited October 2018 in Cyclocross
I have tubeless ready tyres (Riddler) that I can't get back on the wheel properly. I am able to get the tyre on with difficulty, however the beads do not go into the rim and so the tyre is uneven. When I inflate the inner tube they beads do not get pushed into the rim. When I put one side on the wheel first, I could not get the bead to go all the way into the rim. When i first removed the tyre, the bead on one side was really stuck in a difficult to remove, and I am not sure how to get it back in. Has anyone had any experience putting on tubeless read tyres and can help with this? Is there a way to put the bead on one side in the rim really tightly before doing the other side?

Comments

• try some tyre soap (or washing up liquid) around the bead to lubricate it and allow it to slide into the hook on the rim when inflated
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Are you using an air tank or trying to do it with a track pump?
  • dgendy
    Ok I will try that. I also forgot to mention, in one of the youtube videos they say to put the bead of the tyre in the centre of the rim. However this means when I get the other side on, the first side will not be within the edge of the rim, and I thought being in the centre would be the problem as the main issue is not being able to get the beads tucked under the side of the rim.
  • dgendy
    'Are you using an air tank or trying to do it with a track pump?'

They are tubeless ready but I am using inner tubes as I use higher pressures for commuting.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    dgendy wrote:
    They are tubeless ready but I am using inner tubes as I use higher pressures for commuting.
    Get some different tyres if you don't want to use them tubeless, imagine getting a puncture at the side of the road if you find it difficult at home.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    It may even be the tubes that are preventing the beads from seating. I have had this experience with tubeless tyres before, the margins are so much tighter.
  • A big pay off with tubeless tyres with a tube, is the tighter tolerances, making seating a tubeless tyre more tricky, if you use a tube. A capacitance pump may help, but you risk an instantaneous, loud tube bang if the tube gets trapped. If you inflate the tyre with tube to about 30 or so psi, then work around the circumference of the tyre at the rim, with your thumbs pushing up, you may be able to get the tyre ‘un tucked’ then continue to put the tyre up to full pressure with a track pump.
  • dgendy
    I have not actually put the inner tube on yet, just trying to put one side on first, but the beads just won't go in after I get around a third of the bead tucked under the rim. Very frustrating.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I'm not sure if this helps but I had to change a broken spoke in my wheels fitted with schwalbe pro ones. You can get the tyres on easy with no tools but they won't inflate into the bead without soapy water. I had to set inside the rim and outer tyre bead to get them to pop into the bead. Hard work with a track pump but they may need some slippery assistance. ; )