Hoy Alto Irpavi - Frameset Build

timothyw
timothyw Posts: 2,482
edited February 2019 in Your road bikes
Finished my Hoy Alto Irpavi build late yesterday, gave it the shakedown into work today!

44457221254_01c3fb6e19_k.jpg2018-10-08 08.43.42 by Tim Walker, on Flickr

First time for me with full hydraulics discs - Shimano RS685 levers, RS805 flat mount calipers. Braking feel is excellent - feels like oodles of power available. Using the Shimano XT RT81 centre lock rotors.

Wheels are from Superstar components, was cheaper than building my own - Novatec hubs and Kinlin Xr31t rims - love the polished silver finish. Spokes are black DT competition, 32 front and rear. Seatpost is also from superstar, 'Tactic'

Stem and bars are deda, although stem might be getting changed to drop it a bit at the front.

Internal routing on the frame was surprisingly easy - fed in hose from the back, used some thread tied to the nose to guide it out the front hole.

Madison Prime saddle, bar tape is from Planet X - quite a good match I thought!

Chainset is my Power2max NG eco on FSA gossamer, with sram 52-36 chainrings. 105 11-32 cassette and rear derailleur, hand-me-down tiagra front derailleur. Pedals are Boardman MTB pro.

Frame is thru axle, annoyingly weren't supplied with the frameset, ended up using a SRAM stealth front road and a similar brand-x rear from CRC.

Tyres are the lifeline prime armour ones in 700x28 - seem decent enough for the cash.

Pretty happy - came in somewhere a bit under £800 (not including powermeter which roams bike to bike!)

Comments

• Nice! I really like the color combination and wheels. I went for non-black frame and silver wheels (xr22t) on my most recent build as well to change things up.
  • timothyw
    Yeah - I do like bringing a bit of colour into my builds, prefer to avoid the Spinal Tap album cover black look!

It's now got a white stem also, one of these S-Works multistems on the recommendation of a friend - https://www.certini.co.uk/19581/product ... white.aspx - reasonable price and loads of scope for fine tuning position (although, typical me, I have it slammed at -16 degrees...)

It's now got Crud roadracer mk3 mudguards fitted too - it doesn't have the fittings for proper mudguards, but these seem like a good compromise, very quick to remove/fit depending on conditions - I've been glad of them this week!

Where did you find the silver XR22t rims? They tend to be available in any colour you like... as long as it's black!
  • TimothyW wrote:
    Where did you find the silver XR22t rims? They tend to be available in any colour you like... as long as it's black!

I'm in us, so got them here http://www.bikehubstore.com/C22w-p/xr22t.htm I gave serious consideration to the xs31t's and after seeing them on your bike, might have to give them a try in a few years.
  • timothyw
    Sadly this frame is no longer with us, the frame weld failed (not catastrophically) between the seat tube and the top tube - pretty poor after only four months riding, circa 2700km.

Evans were pretty slow to process the refund, didn't do themselves many favours there, took a week and a half. I've now ordered a Dolan RDX to replace it, hopefully will have better luck with that one!