Elemnt Bolt "Take me to..."

rdt
rdt Posts: 869
edited October 2018 in Road general
Could someone explain to me how to use the Bolt's "Take me to..." routing function, on Android?

- If I go into Routes on the companion app, hit the blue +, and select "Take me to...", I get an address search box presented
- I enter a place name and get a bunch of suggestions displayed below the search box, and I can select the one I want
- What happens then is that address text ends up in the search box, along with the cursor, but nothing else happens; and there's no search button anywhere to actually do a map search of the selected address. I'm just stuck in the address search box.

WTF?

Presumably, there's a way to do this, I just don't know what it is :lol:

Help.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    I can't really help, other than to say that it works for me. I've just tried it. Maybe try completely removing and reinstalling the app?
  • rdt
    Thanks. Tried a reinstall to no avail.

Have an email into Wahoo support so maybe they can help...
  • To be honest I’ve never really used the search box on the ‘Take Me To’ function before. I don’t know if that’s because the search box is a relatively recent addition to its capability or if it’s because the only time I’ve needed to use ‘Take Me To’ I’ve only been 10 miles or so from where I have wanted to go and my destination has been easily visible on the screen.

The way I always use it is to tap on the screen to drop a pin wherever I want to go and it works fairly well.

I say fairly well because it will try to use dedicated cycle routes such as national cycle routes and some of these are unpaved in my area. This is exactly what I would want if I rode a mountain bike but not a road bike with wafer thin tyres.

I have just tried using the search box and it seems to have a limited database. If the destination is in the search box then there will be a navigate icon on the bottom right of the screen (a circle with an arrow to the right). If your destination is not in its database then you get what you’re experiencing.

Not perfect but not bad considering it has maps for the entire world.
  • rdt
    I eventually managed to get this working. It seems the app wasn't handling very elegantly a situation where Android's Location setting had been toggled off and on again. Despite Location being on across reboots, the app retained either an old cached location or more usually would have no current location, so none of the routing based on current location worked.

Having got it to work, I agree with Poppa Wheelie's comments above. The search database is limited, with some entire villages/towns missing, while the routes it generates can be a bit odd, with a humongous detour suggested to reach the next town to mine.

Still, better than nothing if I got stuck somewhere!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    rdt wrote:
    I eventually managed to get this working. It seems the app wasn't handling very elegantly a situation where Android's Location setting had been toggled off and on again. Despite Location being on across reboots, the app retained either an old cached location or more usually would have no current location, so none of the routing based on current location worked.

Having got it to work, I agree with Poppa Wheelie's comments above. The search database is limited, with some entire villages/towns missing, while the routes it generates can be a bit odd, with a humongous detour suggested to reach the next town to mine.

Still, better than nothing if I got stuck somewhere!

Does it make any difference if you edit your maps? The device comes with world maps loaded and I deleted just about everything other than the Euro maps. (You can reload them at a later date if you wish.)
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rdt
    As Poppa Wheelie wrote, "Not perfect but not bad considering it has maps for the entire world."

I have just UK and France map data on mine. Deleting all the others from the rest of the world doesn't result in the Bolt loading additional detail for the regions retained. It could, I suppose, but Wahoo hasn't designed it to do that.

Not to worry :)
  • Does deleting the maps you don’t use make the Elemnt/Bolt work better in any way or is it merely a case of ‘decluttering’ ?
    Luke
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    I had to delete some of mine as it told me there were map updates available but not enough space to load them.
  • rdt
    Lucky Luke wrote:
    Does deleting the maps you don’t use make the Elemnt/Bolt work better in any way or is it merely a case of ‘decluttering’ ?

No idea why I deleted mine. Probably just the lifetime habit of decluttering digital devices, as often this can be beneficial...

But... I don't anticipate any benefits of doing that on a Bolt. In my case it was the opposite. I went off to France with a bunch of GPS routes loaded on it, having forgotten I'd stripped the map data down to UK-only. Set off cycling and found myself trying to follow a route "snake" without any underlying roads being displayed :roll:

Trying to load the map data (NB 'map' not 'route') to the Bolt wasn't straightforward either, as that requires a WiFi connection for both the phone and the Bolt [ https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... EMNT-BOLT- ], which is not easy in French hotels that all have a splash page on their WiFi which the Bolt cannot handle. Solution required 2 phones: first phone with mobile data set up as a Mobile Wifi Hotspot for the Bolt to get a wifi connection from; the second phone connected to the hotel's wifi and running the Elemnt app, initiating a map data download to the Bolt. So my recommendation would be to leave the maps on the Bolt if you think there's any remote possibility you might visit the country one day! :lol:
  • StillGoing
    rdt wrote:
    As Poppa Wheelie wrote, "Not perfect but not bad considering it has maps for the entire world."

I have just UK and France map data on mine. Deleting all the others from the rest of the world doesn't result in the Bolt loading additional detail for the regions retained. It could, I suppose, but Wahoo hasn't designed it to do that.

Not to worry :)

It was meant as decluttering the device so that it didn't have a vast database to search.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    It was meant as decluttering the device so that it didn't have a vast database to search.

I doubt it, whilst I don't know for sure, I suspect the database is on the phone rather than the device itself.

As I originally said, I personally really only use the take me to function for a dropped pin such as when I want to cross a town or city I don't really know if I deviate from my planned route to explore somewhere new.

If you want to create a 'go to' route using an address type search when you are 'out in the field,' just use the Komoot app to create the route, save it to your Komoot account, then sync the Wahoo with your Komoot account. I'm sure that will work if you have a phone signal.

I suspect Wahoo's philosophy is to use the expertise of companies such as Strava and Komoot and keep the price of the device low rather than spend money developing the same capabilities a Strava and Komoot and then passing the development cost onto their customers by charging more the the device.
  • StillGoing
    Not a feature I use. I deleted the maps I'll never use to help with start up speed. If I do intend venturing to one of them in the future, I know to add them before departing and its a simple process.