Turbo - puncture

navrig2
navrig2 Posts: 1,844
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Part the way into my turbo session last night I started to experience a slipping wheel. Stopped and checked to find the tyre defalting.

I re-inflated and went to have a recovery beer. Checked again a couple of hours later and it was flat so a puncture or a dodgy valve.

I know that this tube has been patched and suspect that the leak will be at the patch. I don't understand why the patch should fail. The bike is permanently on the turbo, it has a turbo tyre and hasn't been used extensively over the summer months. I've started using it more recently.

I don't think that rubber cement and a patch should melt under the temperatures a turbo tyre will achieve.

So why the failure?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    Navrig2 wrote:
    I don't think that rubber cement and a patch should melt under the temperatures a turbo tyre will achieve.
    But maybe it will. Just enough, if the repair had the slightest of defaults.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Probably a dodgy valve, I have had a couple of Presta valves that have been damaged over time on the turbo bike.
  • Wheel on resistance roller type Turbos really don’t do any favours to tyres or tubes, they work them in an ‘unnatural’ fashion. The direct drive turbos are a far nicer solution.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    I had a puncture a few days ago out on the road. I usually inspect and inflate the innertube when I've removed it to see whereabouts the hole is - mainly to remove anything that's still in the tyre. I found the hole and it was on the seam of the tube but on the innermost part of the rim and not near a spoke. So it looks to me like the innertube just failed for no reason whatsoever.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Wheel on resistance roller type Turbos really don’t do any favours to tyres or tubes, they work them in an ‘unnatural’ fashion. The direct drive turbos are a far nicer solution.

Utter nonsense. Please explain.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Well you can build up a fair bit of warmth on the turbo - but a patched tube can start to leak on the road too.

I don't think its worth over analysing it.
  • navrig2
    Fenix wrote:

Of course it is worth over analysing. I'm an engineer. :roll:

You are wrong :wink:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Ah - right ...

I propose a testing regime - 10 minute warmup - stop and use a temp probe to test the tyre temperature. Ideally you'd pop the tyre off and test the tube temperature too ...
    do the same after a 30 minute workout at varying power levels - see if you can find correlation between the amount of power entered and the temperature of the tyre & tube
    Depending on the turbo type - it may depend on rider weight too ... so get that in place.
    Don't forget to compensate for ambient temperature and occasional cooling effects (wife bringing you in a bottle refresh causing a draft)

Let us know your results ... :)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    It's an inner tube. I'd just fit a new one and move on with my life :P
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Fenix wrote:
    Well you can build up a fair bit of warmth on the turbo - but a patched tube can start to leak on the road too.

True, and yes. However, to cut a long story short, riding on a road causes far less heating from friction, and you have airflow over and around the tyre on an outdoor road ride, that helps dissipate the built up heat better.
  • navrig2
    Slowbike wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Ah - right ...

I propose a testing regime - 10 minute warmup - stop and use a temp probe to test the tyre temperature. Ideally you'd pop the tyre off and test the tube temperature too ...
    do the same after a 30 minute workout at varying power levels - see if you can find correlation between the amount of power entered and the temperature of the tyre & tube
    Depending on the turbo type - it may depend on rider weight too ... so get that in place.
    Don't forget to compensate for ambient temperature and occasional cooling effects (wife bringing you in a bottle refresh causing a draft)

Let us know your results ... :)

:lol:

Should I go for wired or wireless instrumentation - maybe do a desk study before I start to determine this? Is wireless technology too new and maybe I have to do a full ARM analysis?

How should I report it? Tables of data or a full interpretative report summarising the factual data.

Fenix wrote:

True, and yes. However, to cut a long story short, riding on a road causes far less heating from friction, and you have airflow over and around the tyre on an outdoor road ride, that helps dissipate the built up heat better.

No $hit Sherlock? :roll:

I'll have to rethink the garage. Liquid nitrogen cooling and several fans blowing cold air over the rear wheel. Maybe have to hire a wind tunnel to work out the ducting and airflow which stops me getting hypothermia but still cools the tyre.

So much to do before I can get back on the turbo :wink:
    #anyexcuse
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

You've never actually owned a turbo, have you?
  • navrig2
    Well it turned out that the tube had not been previously repaired and had developed a pinhole leak presumably as a direct result of heat build up. I guess there had been a few cycles of hot/cold with resulting expansion and eventually a weakness gave way in the tube.

New tube fitted, old one ditched - normally I'll repair but this was unbranded and probably a cheapo I picked up sometime ago.
  • Imposter wrote:

You've never actually owned a turbo, have you?
    Yes I have, I still have one, I mostly use it to hold one of the bikes upright / store it, I rarely use it for anything except checking the set up after a big maintenance job. It amazes me how warm the roller gets, even on that sort of use, it’s certainly wouldn’t / doesn’t do normal tyres and tubes any favours.