Cycling in glasses (spectacles) in bad weather?

mattdanielc
mattdanielc Posts: 41
edited October 2018 in Commuting chat
Hi guys

Been commuting since May - love it. But since the bad weather has been creeping in, I've noticed how difficult it can be with glasses. With the rain, my glasses get so covered in the rain that I can barely see. I've also had 1 morning when my glasses were fogging up - pretty dangerous!!

Any tips?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Hi guys

Been commuting since May - love it. But since the bad weather has been creeping in, I've noticed how difficult it can be with glasses. With the rain, my glasses get so covered in the rain that I can barely see. I've also had 1 morning when my glasses were fogging up - pretty dangerous!!

Any tips?

I used to use prescription sports glasses with Rain-x and regular cleaning with anti-fog wipes. Now I wear contact lenses for cycling.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • My prescription isn't that strong, so for non-commute rides, I wear my Aldi(?) wrap-around cycle glasses with the clear lenses. For commutes, I wear my standard glasses, but if the weather is awful then I'll simply put them in their case until I reach my destination.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I just wipe them with the wipey bit on my gloves every now and then. Fogging only happens when stopped at lights and soon clears once you're moving again.

Contact lenses would be better but I don't like wearing them full-time and it'd be a bit wasteful to only put them in for the commute.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,599
    Hi guys

Any tips?
    I use a cap with a peak when it is raining. If it is bad enough that doesn't solve it then the glasses go in a pocket.
    Glasses should only steam up when you stop. Simply raise your eyebrows to let the heat out, or temporarily slide the glasses down your nose.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    I just wipe them with the wipey bit on my gloves every now and then. Fogging only happens when stopped at lights and soon clears once you're moving again.

Yep. Remove hand from bars. Wipe lenses with said bit from glove. Replace hand on bars. Repeat as necessary. Maybe also consider a cap underneath helmet.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Hi guys

Any tips?
    I use a cap with a peak when it is raining. If it is bad enough that doesn't solve it then the glasses go in a pocket.
    Glasses should only steam up when you stop. Simply raise your eyebrows to let the heat out, or temporarily slide the glasses down your nose.
    Cap with a peak definitely helps.
    My eye site isn't too bad, so if my glasses are getting too wet, i just take them off and don't bother.
    Contacts would be a good solution, but I don't use them. I can't get over the whole concept of sticking something on your eyeball. It's a no from me.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Might consider getting a cycling cap for under the helmet then, thanks guys. I have a strong prescription so can't cycle without my glasses.

I will try wiping my glasses but not sure that will achieve much - my gloves are soaking from the rain so I will be doing is smudging my glasses.

Oh and the time they fogged was when I was wearing a neck scarf (pulled up over my nose).

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Rain on lenses - I don't think I've experienced this recently. My helmet has a peak which might help (same as a cap). I also avoid the rain where possible :)

Fogging up - My current glasses are terrible for this as they are really close to my eyes. Different glasses might help (more space around them), or change your route so you don't have to stop as much and avoid warmer humid areas like trees.
    When they fog up I wipe them with my gloves however this does scuff the lenses over time - even ones with the anti scratch coating.
  • elbowloh
    Have you thought about these?

wiper-sunglasses-10.jpg
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    elbowloh wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Hi guys

Any tips?
    Cap with a peak definitely helps.
    My eye site isn't too bad, so if my glasses are getting too wet, i just take them off and don't bother.
    Contacts would be a good solution, but I don't use them. I can't get over the whole concept of sticking something on your eyeball. It's a no from me.

Yeah, cap too. I always wear one when I ride, I take it for granted and forget not everyone does.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I will try wiping my glasses but not sure that will achieve much - my gloves are soaking from the rain so I will be doing is smudging my glasses.

Most decent bike gloves have a special glasses wiping patch which does a pretty good job even when wet. Although my prescription isn't that strong so my 'pretty good' may not be adequate for everyone.
  • rakkor
    rakkor Posts: 49
    I use one of these Basecamp cycling helmets with a yellow visor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Base-Camp-Cycling-Helmet-Removable/dp/B0731LNRJ3/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1539669800&sr=8-2&keywords=basecamp+cycling+helmet - The extra area of the visor makes it easy to wipe off excess wate, it also has the advantage of stopping my eyes streaming above 50kph.
  • fatherted
    fatherted Posts: 199
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Hi guys

Any tips?
    I use a cap with a peak when it is raining.
    +1
  • Was the reason I got contact lenses when I used to commute to London on a motorbike.

And then had laser eye surgery because, in the long run, it worked out cheaper.
  • I wear cycle glasses with a prescription insert. I had an issue on the Ride London 100 where the rain was dripping off my helmet and getting between the lens and the insert. I had to take them to pieces to clear it. Made me miss the Leith Hill cut off ! :cry:
  • elbowloh
    I wear cycle glasses with a prescription insert. I had an issue on the Ride London 100 where the rain was dripping off my helmet and getting between the lens and the insert. I had to take them to pieces to clear it. Made me miss the Leith Hill cut off ! :cry:
    You should maybe have weather-sealed them with cellophane....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk