Damaged bike delivery.....update

mf51y
mf51y Posts: 16
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi...just looking for a shoulder to cry on and some advice. I've just taken delivery of my canyon speedmax only to find the crank arm had punctured out through the bottom of the box. No idea how but it's now battered! I have contacted Canyon and await their instruction.
My dilemma is they are now out of stock so have none left to replace it, apart from the crank arm being battered I am pretty sure nothing's bent but not sure if it's possible the bb bearings or carbon area could be damaged in anyway. These areas are pretty tough but you never know.
What would you expect from them..should I keep it...possible reduction in price...replace the left crank arm or send it back and wait for next year's batch at a higher price?

Thanks

Comments

• Hard to say without seeing the damage. Personally if it was just the crank, I'd try and agree with Canyon to take it to a LBS and get them to check it over. If its just a new crank then see if they will replace it. If there was damage to the carbon I'm sure you would be able to see it. Without seeing the damage my impression is that it is just cosmetic damage to a single crank. So should be easy to fix. I can't imagine how the BB bearings will be damaged, but even if so, again I'd just get it looked at by the LBS. You never know it could be very quick and easy to fix, then its just a case of waiting for re-imbursement from Canyon.
    (This is one of the risks we take with buying from Canyon, I also have one but luckily it was undamaged)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hard to say without pictures. If the damage is just scrapes to the left crank, and it's not bent which might imply it's been dropped or had a serious impact, I'd ask them to send a new crank and a refund or vouchers for the inconvenience. That's got to be a more attractive option for them than repatriating the entire bike and giving you all the money back
  • Personally if I had spent that much on a bike I'd be wanting that full unboxing experience, currently you aren't getting that so you've got a decision to make. Do I send it back and re-purchase or do I accept some money off from Canyon to put it right?

I bought an aluminium speedmax a few years ago from Canyon, there were some bubbles on the paint, they assured me nothing was wrong and I accepted a voucher for some accessories from them but your case is quite different so I think I'd be sending it back.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The decision is ultimately yours, but we need to see some pics to provide our Expert Forum Opinions;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • mf51y
    Thanks for the reply all will try and upload. Cheers
  • mf51y
    I've a pic on my phone how do I attach to the post?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Upload it to a picture hosting site then copy the jpg URL and use the img tags in full editor.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    As with any delivery like that, if the packaging looks properly damaged then just don't sign for it and It then goes back. You are safe, no problem. The contract is between the shipper and the courier so all will be fine. Just say you refuse the package as it is damaged.
  • CitizenLee
    Upload it on here...

https://imgur.com/upload

...then copy the link into a reply, highlight it and click Img in the bar above (you may need to click the "Full Editor & Preview" below first to see the formatting options).
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • mf51y
    edited December 2018
    Tried the above but couldn't get it to display when opening?
  • mf51y wrote:
    ZGAgKc5

Tried the above but couldn't get it to display when opening?

I can right-click it and open photo in new tab.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just wack a .jpg on the end of the link ...

ZGAgKc5.jpg
  • keef66
    Unless there's something else we can't see I'd say it doesn't look terminal. A replacement crank and you'll be good to go.

But they should definitely offer you something as compensation too
  • CitizenLee
    Have you had the bike out of the box to see if the cranks are bent or if it's just cosmetic damage?

Have you heard back from Canyon yet? I'd ask for the next crank model up as recompense, of if they can't do that then money back to cover the cost of you buying a replacement crankset yourself + the cost of fitting it. I'm sure they'll make it right anyway ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • mf51y
    Didn't get it out of the box when it arrived just pissed off. Had a good look yesterday looks like just the crank...but the bike insnt new now it's taken the edge completely off the whole purchase. They've sold out of my model..offered discount on next model up but it's not worth it..not what I want. I've suggested I'll pay the used factory outlet price to cover the crank or I'll have a refund. The communication is crap wait 2 days for each email answer so not impressed with Canyon or their packing which you pay for. Advice welcome ha not heard anything for a while.
  • Take the discount.

As soon as you fall off it, it'll be scraped.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Get a refund.
  • CitizenLee
    I think you've done the right thing with your reply if you're not happy. It's a lot of money after all, and damage out the box is different to when it's a scratch you've done yourself through use or accident.

Surely they can source a suitable replacement crankset though, it's not like it's unique to the bike is it?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • mf51y
    edited September 2018
    Ye I agree...most frustrating part is not being able to speak to anyone about it and the delay in comms.
  • That doesn't look like the normal Canyon Bikeguard box
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mf51y
    Sides are covered in canyon logos....
  • mf51y
    Canyon have been very good...so rest assured they have decent u.k support. I've received a replacement crank and several accessories, in excess of £100 worth as a good will gesture which I think is pretty good...and the bike is awesome :D feels so fast. Its taken some time but they came good in the end. They get my vote and seemed genuinely appologetic throughout.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Excellent.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mf51y wrote:
    Canyon have been very good...so rest assured they have decent u.k support. I've received a replacement crank and several accessories, in excess of £100 worth as a good will gesture which I think is pretty good...and the bike is awesome :D feels so fast. Its taken some time but they came good in the end. They get my vote and seemed genuinely appologetic throughout.

I would not expect anything other than your outcome. But the real moral is always sign unchecked when a parcels delivered. Some will turn round and say why did you sign for it tuff luck.
  • keef66
    Excellent outcome! Makes sense for Canyon too; won't have cost them very much but it improves their reputation no end. And after last year's lead-time fiasco there was a lot of room for improvement...
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Cracking, always nice to hear a good news story! These things happen
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    Good to hear and thanks for the update.
  • mf51y
    PaulLCFC wrote:
    mf51y wrote:

I would not expect anything other than your outcome. But the real moral is always sign unchecked when a parcels delivered. Some will turn round and say why did you sign for it tuff luck.

I did see the crank sticking out of the box and marked as damaged...was the last one in stock had the option to return it...but fortunately now all good.