Winter wheels

SN11CKS
SN11CKS Posts: 6
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi All

Apologies if I'm repeating a question that has been asked before (I suspect this topic comes up fairly frequently).

I'm looking to buy some (fairly inexpensive) wheels for use over the winter. Can anyone recommend anything to look at for ideas?

I wonder if the Fulcrum Racing 5 is an option or something similar around this price range (£200-300, say)? I also read something about the HUNT 4 Season wheel set -- does anyone have an opinion on these?

Any thoughts welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Zonda c17 - just over your top budget but well worth it IMHO. Had a set of the previous narrower rim incarnation and they were great.

https://www.vanillabikes.com/products/c ... ONEALw_wcB
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    I've used these wheels during the winter:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/prime-race-road-wheelset/

They come at a good price point and are nice performers, also they come all set up for tubeless with the valves included. IMO having a tubeless set up is a good idea for winter.
  • SN11CKS wrote:
    Hi All

Apologies if I'm repeating a question that has been asked before (I suspect this topic comes up fairly frequently).

I'm looking to buy some (fairly inexpensive) wheels for use over the winter. Can anyone recommend anything to look at for ideas?

I wonder if the Fulcrum Racing 5 is an option or something similar around this price range (£200-300, say)? I also read something about the HUNT 4 Season wheel set -- does anyone have an opinion on these?

Any thoughts welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
    I have a pair of Hunt 4 Season discs that I rode all through last winter (approx 100 miles a week) and they were great.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    if rim brake Aksium are bombproof and a good price.

hunt are well over priced for what they are.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I got a pair of the FR5s for £165 recently and they are great for the money as are the FR Quattro if you can get them for £200 ish.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Cheap and chearful wheels would be miche reflex. not tubeless, not even wide but they are pretty robust and well built (I have checked them). For cheap winter wheels they are pretty good.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    I bought some cero ar24 a couple of years ago for winter wheels , I have had no problems with them and you can run them with tubeless tyres
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I rode through henley last winter on a freezing day with slush on the road.

The local twunts have settled on deep section zipps and Enve wheels as winter hoops.
  • I rode through henley last winter on a freezing day with slush on the road.

The local twunts have settled on deep section zipps and Enve wheels as winter hoops.

Ha, the days when Ksyrium Elite were race day only!!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

why are they twunts?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904

Were they wearing Rapha too ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    arlowood wrote:
    Zonda c17 - just over your top budget but well worth it IMHO. Had a set of the previous narrower rim incarnation and they were great.

I know I am always looking for value for my money but I did not realise I was so tight. These are my summer wheels.
  • They’ve been my summer wheels too — so it’s an option to keep using them. But they seem too good to wreck over the winter.
    lesfirth wrote:
    arlowood wrote:

I know I am always looking for value for my money but I did not realise I was so tight. These are my summer wheels.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The choice is either cheap and disposable, or something nicer that can be easily maintained with replaceable or repairable parts so you're not just throwing them away after a couple of winters.

There are not that many cheap tubeless ready and wide profile options, but the Prime Peloton V2 is about as good as you'll get for £150 or less. If you don't care about tubeless or wide, then Shimano RS010s at £100 are great value.

I ride my winter/rain bike for a least 6 months of the year so I'd rather have something that I actually enjoyed riding, which for me means wide, tubeless and light handbuilts.

Something based on Mavic Open Pro UST or DT Swiss R460 rims with Miche Primato Syntesi hubs would fit the bill nicely.