Shaving your head

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited October 2018 in The cake stop
Dad has recently been diagnosed with a couple forms of Leukaemia - he'd been in remission from one for over 10 years but it's back along with a friend.

Last time round he breezed through chemo, but this was only a 6 week course. This time round he has a 6 month course of chemo and radio every 2 weeks which sounds pretty brutal and means he's likely to, amongst other things, lose his hair.

Looking to show a bit of solidarity and make a gesture so going to shave my head before he starts his treatment in a few weeks time.

Was planning to shave it myself (or my wife), as I have a set of clippers I use to shave with - but just wondering if they're likely to be up to the job of taking my hair off? Just a set of Phillips jobbies, 5/6 years ago probably from Argos.

Not thinking of any charity thing like brave the shave, so could just go along to the barbers, but thinking I might also suggest to dad about taking his off before it starts falling out.

Anyone cut their own hair offer up any tips/ advice?

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Dinyull wrote:
    Anyone cut their own hair offer up any tips/ advice?
    Someone I know did it recently. Her partner did it with a pair of clippers.
    If your hair is reasonably short anyway, a old pair of clippers will probably suffice as long as they're still in good working condition.
    Maybe go gradually (start with a grade 6, then a 3, then a 1/0) which might mean getting some grading comb things.

If your hair is decent, you might want to see if the barbers/hairdresser can do it and donate your clippings to a company who make wigs/toupees for people who have lost their hair for various reasons (they do this with womens' hair, not sure about mens')
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    sorry to hear about your father.

i cut my own hair once a week - 6 year old remington clippers with the guards that came with it. bought it from Boots or Amazon for £20 or so. really simple to do and if you bodge it up it diesn't matter as you can't see it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I’ve been shaving my head for years.
    I use Wahl clippers with no attachments as I like it close.I have a Phillips beard trimmer but I doubt it would be up to the job unless your hair is already really short.
  • dinyull
    Cheers

Was worried that the clippers barbers use seem a lot beefier than the ones I have. Seems nothing to worry about.

Anyway, if I balls it up, nowt a balaclava won't hide.
  • dinyull
    edited October 2018
    Sniper68 wrote:
    I’ve been shaving my head for years.
    I use Wahl clippers with no attachments as I like it close.I have a Phillips beard trimmer but I doubt it would be up to the job unless your hair is already really short.

Ah, just as I typed that....

Also, after a bit of googling seems my clippers are just a bear trimmer!
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Wahl Balding with No1 adapter. It's good.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Dinyull wrote:
    Cheers

Was worried that the clippers barbers use seem a lot beefier than the ones I have. Seems nothing to worry about.

Anyway, if I balls it up, nowt a balaclava won't hide.

no need for a balaclava - wear your fucked up hair with pride..
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    If you balls it up just get a razor and take it down to shiny bare skin.I do it in Summer!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Dinyull wrote:
    If they can trim a bear I'm sure they'll be fine :mrgreen:
  • dinyull
    Dinyull wrote:
    If they can trim a bear I'm sure they'll be fine :mrgreen:

Oops haha
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Dinyull wrote:
    ...but thinking I might also suggest to dad about taking his off before it starts falling out.
    I did mine when I had chemo a few years back. I waited until it started to fall out and that evening just took the lot off. It literally went from being normal to being able to pull fistfuls of hair out in a day about 3 weeks into the course. A chap at work asked when my hair would start falling out and went white when I just pulled a handful out and handed it to him.
    I took the bulk off with a set of Wahl clippers then went over what was left with a razor whilst sat in the bath.
    Get him some woolly hats. I found it wasn't the top of my head that got cold but the back of my head into my neck.
    Hope all goes well for him and all the best to you and yours through what will be tough at times.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2271796

I think mine were a bit more expensive than these, and maybe 20 years ago, but still going strong.

Just had another look and found some closer to the type I have.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3398410

(These have a 'taper' control lever on the side. I've never used it.)

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    I started with clippers at #4, then #2, then #1. Now just bare clippers.
    In the summer I go to Gillette Mach3. Too scared to risk a full DE shave. :oops:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Good on you and everything but...I might let a professional handle it.

You're good old turkish barbers will handle it just fine!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Been using one of these for years, so much so that the rechargeable battery is so weak it only last for one shave, and I'm too tight to buy another. The adjuster lever at the side fell off years ago, but it still does the job every week. It has the graduated attachments, but I don't think you would need them, just go for the clippers without an attachment and it'll cut down to about half a mm in one go. Then if you want to go down to the skin, use a razor to finish.
    I would advise doing it leant over a bath or shower cubicle, as the shavings go everywhere.

https://www.babyliss.co.uk/powerlight-p ... l#start=10

Wishing your Dad well by the way.
  • I keep hearing about a skullshaver on the radio. Use promo code SHAVE for 10% off.

(I am In no way affiliated whatsoever, But it's the only radio advert I have ever remembered).
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    I have a Braun Head. It was only £20 odd. I use it then I wet shave as it's short enough.

Anyway, good luck to your Dad - i've been there and it ain't fun. Especially the radio therapy.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My hair is trimmed using Wahl 100 clippers, on my second set of trimmers but for less than £15 from TK Maxx they do the job every couple of months when I get a friend to do it for me, not got the confidence to do it myself. Always use the clippers unguarded with no grade, it's noticable for the first day or two particularly in work which is +2c but I soon get used to it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another option not mentioned yet is removal cream, of which there are several different brands. Nair or Veet can be had from the pound shops which means it's cheap enough but the after smell isn't great. Another cream I've recently discovered is Magic Powder which can be bought as a powder that you mix with water but never got the tight consistency so now use the red strength cream which doesn't have the smell of Nair/Veet but can't be had as cheap.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    You can do it with the clippers you have, you just might need to do it in a few bursts - ie do a bit, wait for it to cool, do a bit more.

This obviously wouldn't be practical in a barbers which is why they have better clippers.

There's no point trimming it bit by bit (as in trimming it to a couple of cm, then trimming it again), take the guard off and go for it.

I do my legs with the beard clippers in the spring, it's fine (and I have very big and hairy legs - sorry to put that image in your head!)
  • Hiya,

Have been shaving the heid for a few years now and a good old fashioned disposable safety razor does the job to maintain the full Kojak look. If you have longer hair then definitely get a set of clippers to trim it down first.

+1 for the Turkish Barber treatment. Got married recently and wifey gave me a gift voucher for a full on Head Shave and beard trim pampering (she wanted the Rat to be presentable for the wedding photos) and can say it was well worth it.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    And of course if you shave your head then you stand a chance of not failing that drugs test you have been court ordered to have...

Or not, as the bellend ex-husband of daughter #2 found out to his cost. What? Me, bitter? Whatever gave you that idea?