Velo Birmingham & Midlands May 12 2019

Comments

• Discuss

VeloBM_Route_Map.png
  • Discuss

VeloBM_Route_Map.png

40% inside the M42, probably a bit dull. Miles 12-35 probably the most undulated and rural. Not sure why they want to use the A road after Balsall Common, when there are plenty of more scenic rural lanes and by then the crowds should be split into smaller groups.

Overall, nothing to shout about, but then again, I have never ridden those roads without cars, so it might well be a unique experience just for that.

It will sell out, no doubt

Being squeezed in the calendar between Brevet Cymru 400 and Bryan Chapman Memorial 600, I think I'll respectfully pass on the opportunity... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Had a second look, they could have pushed a little further to Atherstone and then headed south via Purley Chase Lane, which is a nice, mostly gentle, longish climb
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Everyone is free to choose their own style and colour of curtains, but I don't see the appeal of riding on artificially traffic free city roads and I don't see it as a way to encourage more people to ride after the event. Those novice event cyclists aren't likely to risk a city ride after the event imo.

I've lived in Southampton for ~28 years and only discovered the bliss of riding beyond Horton Heath and into the South Downs last summer, it was less than 20mins away from SO18 and I had no idea... My cycling history down here would have been so different if I had known, rather than putting up with city commuting chaos and short trips to the shops etc.!

Er - Traffic free roads is bliss - especially through town where for once, you can either blat it - or slow down and take in the surroundings - without having to worry about a car/bus/lorry trying to knock you off ...

In an event like this I'd be more worried by other cyclists. I've nothing against events like this it's just a significant amount of riders treat the event like a race or have never ridden in a group before.

I did the 2016 Ride London and it was awash with passing on the left, riding in a 4up team or riding slowly on the right hand side of the road.

Oh and £79 quid? WTF is that all about?
  • Only 1500m of climbing, so nice and easy really.

I’ll be doing it, closed roads are great.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If my physio can work her magic I will be in.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Had a second look, they could have pushed a little further to Atherstone and then headed south via Purley Chase Lane, which is a nice, mostly gentle, longish climb

Always prefer Purley Chase to Merevale Lane when I’m coming back that way. Roads I ride every weekend in this, goes within 500m of home, two weeks after London Marathon so it’s unfortunately a no from me.
  • The cobbles in Coventry City Centre will be fun!
  • I don’t trust CSM any more.
    Because...?
    Because...?

They’ve proved they couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery twice now, I’m not giving them a third opportunity.
  • I’ve signed up. Early entry as a BC member. I’m still not convinced by the new route but a bunch of us are doing it and last time was probably my best ever day on a bike so sod it. It was by no means perfect....but it was fantastic.
  • Just signed up, looking forward to it. It's motivation to keep the training up over winter if nothing else, no excuses to stay inside if it's a bit wet :mrgreen:
  • kingrollo
    Would love to sign up - but back still feeling like someone has stuck a hot poker in it - hopefully I can pick up one from the drop outs that get advertised should GP ever take my back complaint seriously.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I'm on it. :)

So is eldest son. I like their way of doing the entries, (compared with RideLondon) you know where you are straight away.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Totally uninspiring route, far too expensive. Local NIMBYs will protest, route will change a few times before being settled and CSM will probably cock up the feed stops again.

Still, I signed up as it's close to home, I enjoyed the novelty of riding on traffic free routes and the atmosphere was really good.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I don’t trust CSM any more.
    Because...?

viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=13089351&p=20399088&hilit=Birmingham#p20399088

In relation to Velo Birmingham
    1. Slower riders without endurance experience were dependent upon feed controls to support their ride. Around half of the 10,000 starters found the feed controls out of stock and suffered as a result on the climb over the final sections. This was inexcusable and not beyond the writs of man to order sufficient quantities.
    2. Slower riders returned to the ICC only to find it locked with an operative standing over by a box next to the front door.
    3. CSM delayed the start due idiots laying tacks on the road. That is fair enough but slower riders were then subjected to the main roads in Birmingham be re-opened and having to negotiate tricky traffic conditions.
    4. CSM were uncontactable when riders returned to a padlocked car park which they had paid CSM to use. The police were called and officers had to force the locks open.
  • 1 - Yes, the feed station situation was bad. I hope this was first event teething problems and that lessons have been learned. If not, then I won't be doing another of their events.

2 - The cutoff time/minimum average speed was clearly communicated. Arenas cannot be kept open indefinitely. Given the nature and usage of the NIA it's likely another production was needing access.

3 - Again, roads cannot be kept open forever. The delayed start wasn't ideal, but what was the other option? Let people ride into a dangerous situation? Roads were reopened at the times that had been communicated to all riders in their briefing packs.

4 - This is unacceptable. Again, any repeat of basic mistakes like this at the second event will mean I won't be doing any more.
  • Surely feed stations should give set rations to riders... You get x,y an z at station a; s,t and u at station b etc. that everyone gets from their entry ticket and people know in advance what they will get.

They then have a separate stall or six at each station selling optional extras.

This isn't rocket science, I've never done an organised sportive!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I’m watching the ODI cricket ( England vs Pakistan ) on the 11th, so I’m giving this a miss. If the past 2 efforts from CSM active are anything to go by, it won’t be a big miss. I did enjoy the Velo Birmingham, I’ll admit that, but that’s because I swerved the ‘issues’. I really didn’t like the way they went about attempting the Velo South, and the route for this one looks about as much fun as copping a dose of clap. It’s funny if someone else does, but not if you do ( so I’m told ).
  • got a flyer in the letter box explaining road closures... I guess people can't complain they weren't warned early enough :-)
  • got a flyer in the letter box explaining road closures... I guess people can't complain they weren't warned early enough :-)

This will also mean the starting gun for people to complain about the event.

I think this side of Birmingham is well equipped in terms of roads... M42, M40, A45, A46 won't be affected, which means there shouldn't be too much disruption... a few diversions in place, but not many will be boxed in

I think this side of Birmingham is well equipped in terms of roads... M42, M40, A45, A46 won't be affected, which means there shouldn't be too much disruption... a few diversions in place, but not many will be boxed in

Quite true. That is probably why the London events seem to operate more smoothly when compared to Velo South 2018 or Velo Birmingham 2017. Also further west, the A38 also provides some relief to accessibility .

Also, I suspect that Velo Birmingham learnt from its botched attempts in 2017 in terms of route planning and negotiations with relevant local authorities. It was their first event, so were clearly on a steep learning curve.
  • kingrollo
    got a flyer in the letter box explaining road closures... I guess people can't complain they weren't warned early enough :-)

I am sure they will complain they weren't consulted.
  • capt_slog
    Not hearing much about this, is it still on? :)

You'd think that with a month to go they'd be sending out stuff, but nada.

• bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    No Ive not heard anything recently, i'd imagine we will be hearing anytime soon though?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • capt_slog
    The last update was in March. I get more from RideLondon, and the last time I did that was 2017!

I'm just having a look at the route. There doesn't seem to have the big hills like Leith in it, but looks undulating.

I'd like to see a decent profile of it if anyone has one. The one they provide isn't great.

• capt_slog
    Speak of the devil...

"One month to go" has just dropped into my email inbox

• Capt Slog wrote:
    The last update was in March. I get more from RideLondon, and the last time I did that was 2017!

I'm just having a look at the route. There doesn't seem to have the big hills like Leith in it, but looks undulating.

I'd like to see a decent profile of it if anyone has one. The one they provide isn't great.
    I've just created this, hopefully the link will work:

https://www.strava.com/routes/18095479

There really are no major climbs to speak of, the section at the start from Nether Whitacre up to Hurley is a regular ride of mine and it's just a long drag really, nothing to worry about.