Tour de France trophey nicked

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited October 2018 in Pro race
Thomas's trophy was nicked from the Pinarello stand at the Birmingham bike show. What are we like?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-45808609

Comments

• Bloody northerns

:twisted:
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    woops
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    After a joint operation between British and French police, a suspect has been apprehended:

ce35a9b3d1b0facec2825c0f6a2e92f7?width=650
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    After a joint operation between British and French police, a suspect has been apprehended:

ce35a9b3d1b0facec2825c0f6a2e92f7?width=650

I would have pointed the finger at Movistar myself :wink:
  • Bloody northerns

Northerners? it was Birmingham wasn't it? :lol:
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Bloody northerns

That's still the North.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Craigus89 wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Bloody northerns

That's still the North.
    Bugger off.

Midlands mate!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Craigus89 wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Bloody northerns

That's still the North.

+1
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I'd rather knick the giro trophy that was next to it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    ddraver wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Bloody northerns
    That's still the North.
    +1
    +2 :lol:
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    +3 - north starts at the M4
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    Bit harsh to suspect Froome - he has 4 already. More likely to be someone from France - it's as close as they'll get to having one!
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Dorset Boy wrote:

+4, I'd argue the north starts at Exeter.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Well, it's been stolen most years really, except 1999 to 2005.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Craigus89 wrote:
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Bloody northerns

That's still the North.

You're all Southern Fairies to us Scots :lol:
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

+4, I'd argue the north starts at Exeter.

+5 Although Crawley for me.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Exeter?

F88kin northern monkeys!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Lille is definitely the north (le Nord) but basically anywhere north of Lyon.
  • Why always north - south not east - west? They're frigging weird in the east.
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    Why always north - south not east - west? They're frigging weird in the east.

You've never been to Glasgow then.
  • jwa581
    jwa581 Posts: 24
    Very simple. If you have gravy on your chips it's the north if not it's the South. This from someone who lives in the north but has lived in the South and Midlands as well. Cut off is somewhere around Sheffield as far as I'm concerned.
  • k1875 wrote:

You've never been to Glasgow then.
    I have actually and stepping over the syringes just outside one of the shopping areas was definitely the best bit. Kind of a hopscotch game with dodgy needles if you get it wrong and fall over. That was a few years back, possibly a few years after European city of architecture I think so it might not be as bad.
  • jwa581 wrote:
    Very simple. If you have gravy on your chips it's the north if not it's the South. This from someone who lives in the north but has lived in the South and Midlands as well. Cut off is somewhere around Sheffield as far as I'm concerned.
    What does curry on your chips make you? Stupid? No sense of taste? No idea what a real curry should taste of? Or just someone with something against chips?

Seriously though, the only people I know who like curry or gravy on their chippy sourced chips were from the northeast. IMHO that's a unique kind of northerner and shouldn't be used against the rest of us!

Of course I don't think southerners know what real chips are like. So good chips is probably a sign your chippy is in the north. Beef fats in Yorkshire or vegetable fats in Lancashire to make them in.
  • tommasi
    tommasi Posts: 40
    Cut off is somewhere in Derbyshire, Derby isn't north but places like Chersterfield and Glossop are. They have far more to do with Sheffield/Manchester than Derby

And somewhere in Lincolnshire, it borders Cambridgeshire at the bottom, but Grimsby and Scunthorpe are northern
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    It's tricky to know what is east and what is west. Newcastle is to the West of Oxford and Edinburgh is to the west of Liverpool (just).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    jwa581 wrote:

So I am a southerner (grew up Bristol, born home counties) who lives in Manchester (studied in Durham, lived in Aberdeen for 3 years as well). I am happy that Manchester is the North, and that Bristol is in the South - but I wouldn't put Birmingham with either. I have to go to Wolverhampton and Coventry etc. for work a lot and it's a sh*thole (no offence). At least the cr@p places in the North have a bit of character

I have come to appreciate that Birmingham and the midlands in general is that sh*thole in the middle nobody wants to be associated with.The south finishes somewhere a bit north of Gloucester and the North starts a bit north of Crewe.

The bit in the middle is basically equivalent to the flyover states in the US.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Was going to mention curry sauce - chips mushy peas AND curry sauce was our post-pub delicacy, Nottnum late 7Os .
  • Anyone notice that weather forecast presenters sometimes call northern England as the North but the reality of our country is that Northern England / Southern Scotland are actually the Midlands of Britain. North is Scottish Highlands northwards. South is probably Manchester South and between is the middle of Britain.

Just thought I'd point out that discussions are about England but if you include the whole of Britain then Manchester is nearer South. I'm sure you all know that the geographical centre of Britain is dunsop Bridge in the forest of Bowland near Lancaster.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Anyone notice that weather forecast presenters sometimes call northern England as the North but the reality of our country is that Northern England / Southern Scotland are actually the Midlands of Britain. North is Scottish Highlands northwards. South is probably Manchester South and between is the middle of Britain.

Just thought I'd point out that discussions are about England but if you include the whole of Britain then Manchester is nearer South. I'm sure you all know that the geographical centre of Britain is dunsop Bridge in the forest of Bowland near Lancaster.

Scotland is Scotland, not the north.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Never defined it as England only. My point was north in Britain isn't Birmingham upwards. It's surely Scotland upwards. Something I've noticed weather people on TV don't always consider. With comments about a band of wet and stormy weather in the North when talking about Britain but the map shows a band across Northern England.

If you don't define north as Northern England then it can just as easily be northern Britain. Besides dodgy ways of serving deep fried foodstuffs is really a Scottish trait. Corned beef fritters, spam fritters and deep fried pizza are dishes I've only seen in Scotland (although there must be crazy chippy owners in the rUK to ask it). BTW the fitters listed were really big, balls of meat that were battered and deep fried. The beef absorbed a lot of fat and it was probably the worst chippy meal I've had since I tried curry sauce on chips. Pizza, battered then deep fried even I'm not stupid enough to think is a good idea to try.

PS dunsop Bridge is a nice little village so forgive my shameless questioning of what counts as north to plug it as the centre of Britain geographically speaking. I'd recommend visiting indeed the whole area is nice.