Front brake issue

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Morning all,

My training bike seems to have developed an issue with the front brake. All of a sudden there is massive vibration and a loud noise when I brake hard.

The pads are swissstop and the callipers are shimano 105.

I have checked the pads (they are clean and only about 1/4 worn), checked the calliper is torqued and positioned correctly, checked the pads are toed in and positioned correctly, and tried different front wheels.

So I think it has to be the caliper itself, but I'm not sure why or what I can do to solve it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    is the wheel in correctly and tight or any other wheel issues (spokes, rim, bearings, etc)?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    have you tried a different caliper?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • redvision
    Thanks for the reply.

Wheel is in correctly but I haven't tried a different caliper yet (haven't got a spare and didn't want to faff about take the caliper off my race bike to try on this bike). Guess that would help identify if it is the 105 caliper though.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Headset, broken or cracked steering tube.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above - although unless you have recently front-ended the bike in an accident, I would check for headset play first...
  • redvision
    Webboo wrote:
    Headset, broken or cracked steering tube.

Not from what I can see.

There was no play in the headset but just dismantled it and can't see any sign of a crack or anything untoward on steering tube. Tested on the hill outside after putting it back together and still the same issue :evil:

Going to try switching caliper this afternoon.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Crack in front fork?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • redvision
    Svetty wrote:
    Crack in front fork?

This was one of my first thoughts but can't see any crack or blemishes on the fork.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    redvision wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Crack in front fork?

This was one of my first thoughts but can't see any crack or blemishes on the fork.

Its the one you havent see that you need to be aware of
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You've swapped wheels, but can you try different pads? I was following a bloke on a charity ride and his braking was accompanied by a horrendous noise. It looked like he'd got some fancy dan exalith type rims, but when I tactfully enquired he said he thought he'd managed to contaminate his brake pads.
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Had similar symptoms once, turns out one of the pad carriers had worked it's way upwards ever so slightly and and was just catching the tyre rather than the braking surface when brakes were applied. It was only noticeable on very close inspection and occurred only at certain spots due to the wheel not being 100% radially true. Still caused lots of noise and lots of vibration!
  • redvision
    Cheers for all the replies.

Have now installed a different caliper (same brake blocks though) and going to test it shortly.

If the issue is still there I will change pads and see if that sorts it, otherwise I will admit defeat and take it to the bike shop to figure out.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,425
    I Had this on my summer bike. Horrible noise. Couldn't work out the cause for ages. Turned out to be contaminated pads and rim. I had been washing bike with car shampoo that had added waxes and resins.

Used this to clean rims: https://www.axminster.co.uk/garryflex-a ... ck-ax20009
    Sanded Swissstop Blue Pads on a flat surface with 120 grit wet and dry and rinsed off.

Sound went completely. Now only use Fairy liquid to clean bike - but that is a WHOLE OTHER THREAD!!!

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• redvision
    Sorted! It is the 105 caliper.
    Tried the one from my race bike (ultegra) and went for short ride (with sharp decent) and absolutely no vibration or noise.
    Got home and immediately put the old one back on, tried it down the hill outside and the vibration and noise is back. Same pads both times, so has to be the caliper.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
  • Matthewfalle
    best smash it with a hammer, set fire to it and throw it into next door's garden then....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    best smash it with a hammer, set fire to it and throw it into next door's garden then....

Exactly this or failing that post it to wiggle its their fault
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Interested to understand what is wrong with the old noisy caliper, is it cracked or something? Could have failed and put you in a world of pain :(
    Dave
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Curiosity would drive me to strip the thing down to see if I could identify a broken / missing / seized / worn or otherwise defective component.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    keef66 wrote:
    Curiosity would drive me to strip the thing down to see if I could identify a broken / missing / seized / worn or otherwise defective component.

This. Be useful to know.