alfine hub

spatt77
spatt77 Posts: 324
edited October 2018 in Commuting general
Hi, well in a moment of madness/genius Ive gone and bought a Cube Hyde with a Alfine 8 speed hub. At the moment my commuter is running a 50/34 with a 11/32 cassette, which i very rarely get out of the big ring with.Now my problem is i don`t think the Alfine hub is gonna give me some big enough gears. options are ,
1. bigger chainring ( present one is brand new from previous owner so don`t really want to change)
2. smaller sprocket on the back?
Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Probably bigger ring... a good opportunity to replace the flimsy Alfine chainring with something a bit more sturdy and get rid of the horrible protecting ring as well.

When my Alfine ring exploded I got a Thorn one

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainrings/ ... ing-black/
    left the forum March 2023
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    3. Bigger tyres.

You've basically covered the options. Too small a cog on the back might impair drive efficiency and will wear quicker. Chainring is the best bet.
  • spatt77
    hi, its got a brand new truvativ crankset so dont really want to change it, I think a smaller sprocket might be the answer as long as it doesnt impair gear change , I can live with a bit of extra wear as my commute is only 22kms a day!:)
  • spatt77
    Well, Ive got it sorted, 44t on the front , 16t on the back, dont know what sort of per cent range that gives me but should be quick enough!