53/39 & 11-25 > 52/36 & 11-30 - will I get away with same chain?

gingermagician
gingermagician Posts: 326
edited October 2018 in Workshop
As per the thread title, can anyone indicate whether I'll get away with retaining the same chain when making the switch to the semi-compact/wider range cassette set up? For context, I haven't yet ridden the bike in its current 'hard man' set up, but know that I'm 99% certain to want to soften it up... :lol:

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    probably, it depends on the RD and if set up small small. You may possibly need to remove a link depending on how its set up.

If the RD is compatible with 30 teeth it should be.

if youre changing to a longer caged RD then possibly not. Try it and see if it doesn't fit buy a chain.
  • Are the original casette and chainset worn? The chain will have worn to it. Why spend out on new cassette and chainset or rings and not fit a new chain? Makes zero sense to me!
  • Are the original casette and chainset worn? The chain will have worn to it. Why spend out on new cassette and chainset or rings and not fit a new chain? Makes zero sense to me!
    Chain and cassette are both brand new. Cassette will come off and get sold (as will lightly used 53/39 Spidering), but may as well use the chain if I can.

Thanks for the responses.
  • _Bones
    _Bones Posts: 8
    You are gaining quite a few teeth at the back and only losing one up front in your big-big combo there so I'd imagine you'd need a couple of extra (full) links unless the chain was overlong to begin with.
  • _Bones wrote:
    You are gaining quite a few teeth at the back and only losing one up front in your big-big combo there so I'd imagine you'd need a couple of extra (full) links unless the chain was overlong to begin with.
    Or file the slots in the drop outs to sit wheel closer to the bottom bracket.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    _Bones wrote:
    Or file the slots in the drop outs to sit wheel closer to the bottom bracket.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: