Upgrading problem

deanavfc
deanavfc Posts: 11
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm upgrading a 2011 Trek Fuel Ex8. It had 10 speed triple with a 11-36 cassette.

I'm very new to mountain biking, I've done a bit of road before but not for a few years. I've got very limited knowledge of how bike work and fixing them is a nightmare.

A friend of mine has changed my chain ring to a single 36t narrow wide. Also new bolts for the crack and a new chain.

The problem I have hit is I had a new cassette 11-42 on and it would change through the lower rings but when it gets to the top rings it won't change back down the gears again. Also the long cage derailleur gets very close to the cassette.

What can I do to fit the 11-42 cassette? Is it that I need a bigger derailleur?

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    Longer B screw?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    As Steve says a longer b-screw may help or You might need to fit a ‘goat link’ to move the derailleur further away from the cassette.

A couple of points to make explanations easier:
    The cassette is made up of sprockets. Rings are on the chain set.
    The largest sprocket is the lowest gear, the smallest sprocket is the highest gear. When you change from a larger to a smaller sprocket you are going up the gears.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    As Steve says a longer b-screw may help or You might need to fit a ‘goat link’ to move the derailleur further away from the cassette.

A couple of points to make explanations easier:
    The cassette is made up of sprockets. Rings are on the chain set.
    The largest sprocket is the lowest gear, the smallest sprocket is the highest gear. When you change from a larger to a smaller sprocket you are going up the gears.

Thanks, that gives me something to Google. I'm hoping to solve this without having to pay a local bike shop. I'll try and remember those points without getting confused :lol:
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Is the chain the correct length?
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    It's a new sram 10speed 114 link chain. Is that ok?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    deanavfc wrote:
    02GF74 wrote:
    It's a new sram 10speed 114 link chain. Is that ok?

When in the biggest front gear and the biggest rear gear, where is the mech arm? It should be at about 45 degrees foward. If it is less, you may be able to remove a link, if it is more, it could be too short. If you are on a FS, then depending upon the suspension type, you need to fully compress the rear suspension to allow for the rear centre extending. If you have the chain too tight, are in big-to-big gears and then gee out on a ride, you might just rip the mech clean off! :shock:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Measure the chain in the largest cog at the back, excluding the mech, and add at least one, possibly two full links.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools