Advice - Brand new bike came with untrue wheels.

bmika1
bmika1 Posts: 3
edited October 2018 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

I purchased a brand new Cannondale Quick 7 through an online store a few days ago and it has been delivered earlier this week. I am very happy with it so far however, there's one thing that concerns me - both front and rear wheels seem to be out of true. I know spokes need some time to settle in and it is common for new wheels to be slightly off however, I am not sure what amount of bend is acceptable. The front rim is rubbing on a brake pad even after I got the brakes adjusted which makes me think the wheels might need to be trued.
I recorded a short video showing the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJNx1uvUa44
Would you say this is normal for a new set of wheels? If not, do you have any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Have you talked to the place you bought it from?
  • bmika1
    bmika1 Posts: 3
    Thanks for your input. I will get in touch with the supplier today.
  • I know spokes need some time to settle in
    Since when ? Not told that on my wheel building course.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I know spokes need some time to settle in
    Since when ? Not told that on my wheel building course.

They don't if the wheel was properly built.

Having watched your video, they don't look so bad. if it was mine I'd be trying to true them myself, rather than endure the faff and inconvenience of returning to an online seller. Up to you really.

Alternatively can you ask them if they'd reimburse the cost of having them trued at a bike shop?

(mind you, that might conceivably be less convenient for you, and leave you bike-less for just as long, depending on your location / circumstances / local bike shops...)