Average speeds on night rides compared to day rides

InconveniencedBadger
edited October 2018 in Road general
Now that the evenings are getting noticeably darker each day, night rides are inevitable and I've already been on a few (don't have/particularly want a turbo trainer). I've noticed though that my average speed drops a bit when riding at night and was wondering if this is the case for anyone else.

I've got good lights and don't feel anxious to ride at the same intensity as during the day - perhaps it is just psychological?

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The air is denser at night.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I always feel I am faster in the dark, or putting less effort in for the same speed. Then I look at Strava later, and see I am slower. Must be psychological...
  • One of those First world problems that affect 'cyclists' deeply.
    Slower means less inconvenience of badgers at night however.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've got decent lights but I still occasionally misread the road surface and crash into a pothole or ride over something I'd have avoided in daylight. So I suppose it's natural that I'd ride a bit more cautiously at night. Can't say it bothers me; a night ride is just as good a workout with the extra weight of the lights / clothing / denser air, but with added badgers, bats, owls and deer.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    it's because your front light is much brighter than your back light - the front light lumens push you backwards - you can offset this by fitting more rear lights or using a smaller front light.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Would it not be simpler to convert to fixed gear and ride the thing backwards??
  • During the day you are probably riding more aggressively due to other road users.
    In the evening your body thinks it is stumbling its way home from the pub and reacts accordingly.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    keef66 wrote:

But that would stuff up your strava scores with negative speeds and negative cadence ... wouldn't it?
  • Slowbike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

But that would stuff up your strava scores with negative speeds and negative cadence ... wouldn't it?

I'd imagine that to be true, but it would have the benefit that you'd end up finishing your ride in the daylight - assuming you're putting out enough power to reverse the rotation of the earth ;-)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My night time rides, 2200, are faster than daytime rides cause it's done on my time. When I leave for work I class it as work time, when I leave work it's my time so go that bit faster on the way home and less traffic helps too. I keep to the same route so know where hazards are on the road and ride accordingly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.