Floyd Landis- New Team funded by drugs.

alanparsons
alanparsons Posts: 529
edited October 2018 in Pro race
Floyd Landis setting up new team funded by money from LA and drug company.
What do we think of him promoting riding to a youth team?
BBC article here:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45753716

No doubt lots more to be found elsewhere on tinternet.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I hope it brings him peace enough to stop being so bloomin' self-righteous...

If he's just an Andy Riis (RIP) style sugar-daddie I can kind of accept that.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The Canada-based team will be sponsored by 42-year-old Landis' cannabis business.
    "I have a conflicted relationship with cycling, but I still like it," he said

He's only 4 years older than Valverde, amazing. Yeah give it a go Floyd feed the pro teams.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    well we dont mind St Millar being the face of cycling on terrestrial TV and hes not putting money in. Why would we have a problem with llandis?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    well we dont mind St Millar being the face of cycling on terrestrial TV and hes not putting money in. Why would we have a problem with llandis?

this - very well put.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost

this - very well put.

i thank you.
  • well we dont mind St Millar being the face of cycling on terrestrial TV and hes not putting money in. Why would we have a problem with llandis?

Personally I haven't got a problem with it/him at all. I think it is a slightly ironic use of the money he received from the LA thing on a cycle team, and his cannabis business it obviously legitimate in the US.

Landis's drugging was so spectacular/stupid/obvious I almost find it funny in hindsight.
  • Vino'sGhost

Personally I haven't got a problem with it/him at all. I think it is a slightly ironic use of the money he received from the LA thing on a cycle team, and his cannabis business it obviously legitimate in the US.

Landis's drugging was so spectacular/stupid/obvious I almost find it funny in hindsight.

I watched that stage it was brilliant absolutely hillarious. I loved it.
  • FocusZing

Exactly I mean it's been more than two years he apologised still loves cycling. Join the rest of the pro teams.

It's the third chapter in his life, a new fresh start.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Things that Landis did that Millar didn't

Intimidate and mental denigrate Greg LeMond by pretending to be his childhood abuser
    Hack the UCI computers
    Claim innocence for four years
    Write a book about how how innocent he was
    Crowdfund money for his legal defence
    Continually cast aspertions against current riders despite not being at a race in Europe for over a decade
    Claim to be a whistleblower despite still doping once he left US Postal
    Still maintain he didn't take the testosterone he tested positive for (presumably to avoid a perjury charge)

He's right up there with the very worst people this sport has seen.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    RichN95 wrote:

Intimidate and mental denigrate Greg LeMond by pretending to be his childhood abuser
    Hack the UCI computers
    Continually cast aspertions against current riders despite not being at a race in Europe for over a decade
    Still maintain he didn't take the testosterone he tested positive for (presumably to avoid a perjury charge)

Yeah but if he apologised, surely he should be given another chance?
  • ddraver
    Has he though?

I dunno honestly I thought he went beyond a joke some time ago and haven't paid attention...
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    ddraver wrote:
    Has he though?

I dunno honestly I thought he went beyond a joke some time ago and haven't paid attention...

I think he really means it this time.
  • Vino'sGhost
    RichN95 wrote:

Hack the UCI computers

he's good isnt he. And generally peoples motivation is dulled by canabis, this guys made a business out of it! Full respect.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Oh and I left out that his doping drove his father-in-law to suicide
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZing
    RichN95 wrote:

Hack the UCI computers

he's good isnt he. And generally peoples motivation is dulled by canabis, this guys made a business out of it! Full respect.

Yep. lets hope his business grows so he can get back into the GC race with all the other pro teams. He's different this time he want change and love cycling.
  • ddraver
    FocusZing wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Has he though?

"I'm contrite about what happened, but you can never go back and change the decisions you made. At the very least, people can see that I'm ready to move on," he said.
    "Maybe it sounds odd, but it's kind of some closure for me."

Is not, "I'm sorry I doped, it was a mistake"...is it
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    ddraver wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Has he though?

"I'm contrite about what happened, but you can never go back and change the decisions you made. At the very least, people can see that I'm ready to move on," he said.
    "Maybe it sounds odd, but it's kind of some closure for me."

Is not, "I'm sorry I doped, it was a mistake"...is it

Give it a couple of months, a year. I'm sure he will it's in his interest to.
  • ddraver
    So actually he hasn't apologised at all then...

point made I think...
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    ddraver wrote:
    So actually he hasn't apologised at all then...

point made I think...

Yeah sure just as long as he gets to start his team. Say whatever people want to hear.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I have no problem with it though it will be odd if they compete in States or countries where it is illegal.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Seems like it could be built around the old Jelly Belly team. From sweets to pot, kids of today.

Seriously, how does it work if they race in a state or country where it’s illegal?
  • ddraver
    Dunno, I guess they re ok if they don't call it something openly pro-drug

Team Sky-High?

THC Doob-ama

O-Marijuana SpliffStep

...shame AquaBong racing went bust this year...
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    edited October 2018
    ddraver wrote:
    Dunno, I guess they re ok if they don't call it something openly pro-drug

Team Sky-High?

THC Doob-ama

O-Marijuana SpliffStep

...shame AquaBong racing went bust this year...

Ha, brilliant.
  • ddraver
    (there's got to be more...)
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    ddraver wrote:
    (there's got to be more...)

Well you have to laugh at it and try and find the limit of some peoples morality.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    RichN95 wrote:

Hack the UCI computers

It doesn't bother me that he's starting a team, with the difficulty teams are having surviving, a new team starting up is always a positive. What does bother me though is when you look at Rich's list of things detailing what Landis did, how is it fair and just that he can start a team yet Armstrong isn't allowed near any type of race?

I'm not in any way inferring Landis was as bad as Armstrong, but there are similarities and yet one would appear to have served his time and is now going to be allowed back in to the sport, whilst the other continues to be crucified and punished with a lifetime ban.

Just doesn't seem fair.
  • Vino'sGhost
    redvision wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Hack the UCI computers

It doesn't bother me that he's starting a team, with the difficulty teams are having surviving, a new team starting up is always a positive. What does bother me though is when you look at Rich's list of things detailing what Landis did, how is it fair and just that he can start a team yet Armstrong isn't allowed near any type of race?

I'm not in any way inferring Landis was as bad as Armstrong, but there are similarities and yet one would appear to have served his time and is now going to be allowed back in to the sport, whilst the other continues to be crucified and punished with a lifetime ban.

Just doesn't seem fair.

I think Armstrong was a whole different level. Utterly vile in the way he went about destroying lives. As it happens Armstrong is having something of a renaissance with his pod cast and various other bits and pieces. He is being slowly re integrated.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    redvision wrote:

Just doesn't seem fair.

I'm with redvision on this, Armstrong should have any sanctions against him lifted as of now.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Landis is just taking the proverbial, no? Got a nice bung from the the court action settlements against Armstrong (ironic? No just plain wrong), what to do with said dosh, I know I'll set up a cycling team. Nyah nyah ne nyah etc
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,578
    Its an absolute crying shame that cycling is so desperate for sponsors that it can never be in a position to be fussy about its sources. Inner Ring has done a couple of articles on cyclings dirty money in the past and ultimately Landis' is more of the same albeit on a smaller scale.

Yeah, its good to see money coming it, but really, the guy is a repugnant sleazebag ... no?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner