New bike decision

Feanor48
Feanor48 Posts: 7
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I’m looking for a new bike to replace my 13 years old bike. The old one is a local brand, AL frame, mechanical Ultegra. Size 56 as I’m 1.83cm with about 86cm inseam.
I’m planning to ride the new bike for a long time as well, so I don’t mind spending a bit of money. The wish list contains carbon frame, disc brakes, Ultegra Di2 and nice wheels.
I started my search at a LBS who had a good deal for a 2017 Trek Domane SLR 7, size 56 for 4300€. First ride was good, but I had to use the longer seat post. Size 58 somehow did not fit (too upright). I have some doubts about the white color and would like to have the latest Di2 (synchro shifting). Also considering different wheels (Bontrager Paradigm Comp are installed now). Taking out spacers plus potentially a 10mm longer stem might bring it to the right position.
After that I tried the Emonda SL in H2 geometry, size 56 (again I would need the longer seat post, but size 58 didn’t feel right). The ride felt more alive, sportive, but not uncomfortable. I think with 28mm tires instead of 25mm this would be comfortable enough. This means my choice would be a 2019 Emonda SL 7 Disc for 4999€ with Aeolus 3 wheels.
Also tried the Giant TCR, but that’s not the position on the bike I would like. Same for the Cannondale SuperSix I tried in a different LBS.
Another LBS has a 2018 BMC Roadmachine 01 Two on discount, but still above budget and the color is not my taste. The size 56 fits good, I like the clean look. They have a 2017 RM 02 frame and offered me to build it with actual Di2, but the offer so far of 4500€ is not better than a new 2019 RM 02 One, which has the integrated stem.
Another choice would be the Cervelo R3 Disc Di2 for 4500€.

I have also tried the Synapse and Paralane, but in the setup I tried they felt a bit to comfortable/upright.

I don’t see myself on gravel or bad roads too often, also I’m not racing. Living in a hilly area means that weight is a topic, but mainly my own body weight.
I would like to buy from LBS, so I’m not into online bargain hunting. But I might try the Canyon Endurace as the headquarter is not far away. Giant Defy is also still on my list.

So which way to go?
Domane SLR 7 for 4300€ (plus potentially some € for better wheels)
Emonda SL 7
Roadmachine 02 One (the RM01 Three 2019 looks nice, but €€€)
Cervelo R3 Discs Di2

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Where are you based ? Trek and BMC always seem very pricey to me. Plenty of better equipped bikes for that price.
  • Location is Bonn/Germany.
    The best LBS have Giant/Trek/Stevens, the other one Cervelo/Focus/BMC. I agree with BMC and Trek beeing a bit pricey but I have not negotiated yet. A Giant Defy Advanced Pro has a similar price tag, but powermeter included, but I need to find size M/L for a test first. Endurace will cheaper as well, but Canyon service is questionable and everyone in Germany is riding one. Beside that most versions are already sold out in size M or L.
    I'm open for other suggestions.
  • How about looking at the Rose Team GF Six Disk Ultegra Di2 for 3899 ?

An upgraded wheelset (if allowable) will get you up near 4500.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Isn't the DI2 synchro shifting a firmware thingy

I brought a di2 kuota recently and its got synchro shifting - I don't think you will need to ask for it.

I was looking at budget di2 \ disc - it came down to canyon/boardman/rose/kuota*

*The kuota came into range as I got on the works scheme - RRP IS £3500 - and its a full customizable purchase - you can choose gears, cranks, bars - and upgrade wheels - I am really pleased with it - it is sportive geo though (Khydra model)
  • Rose is not really local, about 250 km for a test ride?! But the GF6 fits the criteria and might fit with position looking at stack and reach.
    For an update of Di2 you need a new battery with memory as far as I know.
    Kuota is hard to find here.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Pretty sure if youre buying a new di2 bike - your going to get synchro shifting.

https://www.bikeexchange.co.uk/blog/upg ... ift-how-to

Kuota isn't that easy to find in the UK - Depends on how badly you want one - and how much value you place on a short test ride.
  • The 2017 Domane SLR has the old Di2 which would require an update. The others of course are up to date.
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Specialized Roubaix Comp, Di2 version would fall within your budget and meet all your criteria.
    I imagine that there's a Specialized dealer not too far away where you could try one out:

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/rouba ... 321-154472
  • Very high stack (611) in size 56 or is it different due to the suspension?
  • gdcfc1
    gdcfc1 Posts: 125
    Why not pop over to Canyon in Koblenz?
    looking into the +1
  • Just back from Canyon. Tried Endurace and Ultimate in M and L. Same like before, first L was recommended, but M felt better. Better feeling on the Endurace.
    But somehow I did not get the "must have" feeling, the "stealth" coloured frame looks a bit boring, the new blue one was not there.