First ever 100 miles - Wellington to Fielding

sgt.pepper
sgt.pepper Posts: 300
edited October 2018 in Tour & expedition
Been meaning to ride 100 miles in a day for years, and finally got motivated to do it as part of a charity competition. Rode from Wellington to Fielding, with quite a strong headwind the whole way. Really glad I've finally done it. Took my most boring but sensible tourer - GT Legato with all the usual touring gear. I'm also a terrible photographer.

View over Pukerua Bay, an hour or so in.

EgRgcsb.jpg

Took this because I was suddenly back in Sussex.

PyBOaY6.jpg

There was a few miles of gravel next to the new motorway. This is where I saw the baby goats.

ELvTdJv.jpg

About 5 hours in, near a town called Shannon.

y80oFbm.jpg

I know my average speed was quite low, but I really paced it as I had never gone that far (plus the headwind).

lJ4LGsE.jpg

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    It clearly says 95.9miles?
    Did you do the extra 4.1miles to complete the 100?
  • Sniper68 wrote:

Ok, I had a headwind so I rounded up :? the roads in the last 10-20 miles were properly dangerous, otherwise I would've just cruised another 2 past my destination and back. Still quite proud of it though, but yes it wasn't quite 100.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Sgt.Pepper wrote:
    Sniper68 wrote:

Ok, I had a headwind so I rounded up :? the roads in the last 10-20 miles were properly dangerous, otherwise I would've just cruised another 2 past my destination and back. Still quite proud of it though, but yes it wasn't quite 100.
    oxoman wrote:
    Take no notice, still a worthy accomplishment especially into a headwind. Nice pics.

Hey I wasn't having a dig just curious!
    I did my first 100(103) a couple of months ago 8) After riding the first 80 in a group,much faster than I'm comfortable with,I spent the last 23 riding alone into a horrible headwind.I know your pain :|
    #Kudos
    #Chapeau
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Nice one, looks like fantastic scenery and weather!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Did a 60 mile charity ride with my son back in June. Only later when looking at his Strava stats did he realise that he could've made it his first metric century by doing an extra couple of miles at the end. He was proper annoyed.

Never occurred to me cos I still think in Brexit units...
  • oxoman wrote:
    Take no notice, still a worthy accomplishment especially into a headwind. Nice pics.

Thanks. I'm more of a sprinter/climber so was pretty nervous about going long distance, but it's been on my to-do list since my old man told me he once did 100 miles on a fixed single speed as a teen. There were some nice moments (and more gravel than I expected), but the last 10-20 miles were pretty terrifying - out in the stix with no hard shoulder and some seriously close passes on 60mph roads. Was almost more mentally worn out than physically by the end of it.