This morning I....

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited October 2018 in MTB general
... modified my chain whip tool.

The rivets on the original chain protruded past the side plates meaning it would not fit on 11 speed cassette, and very likely 9 speed too.

It was replaced by spare bits of 10 speed chain left over after fitting correct length.

You'd think the manufacturers would check something as obvious as this.

DSC0537.jpg

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Nice mod to do, you must have felt good about that. :)

Could you use your chain breaker to do the splitting and joining, or did you use something else? Does a standard chain rivet work? If so what "speed" of rivet did you have to use?
  • 02gf74
    The original chain I'm guessing was some cheap single speed. I ground the rivets off to avoid damage to my chain splitter tool.

Luckily the thickness of the handle was compatible with the new chain. I used 10 speed as that's what I had, it will work on both 9 and 11 speed cassettes that I have.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Decathlon do chain whip without the chain

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip- ... 09913.html

Got one a while back, only used once in anger, but it was effective. No idea if it would struggle with closer-coupled cassette rings though.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    larkim wrote:
    Decathlon do chain whip without the chain
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip- ... 09913.html
    Got one a while back, only used once in anger, but it was effective. No idea if it would struggle with closer-coupled cassette rings though.
    I got one of those, have used it a couple of times and it is quite simple and works. However, the first time I went to use it was on a SRAM XD 10-42 cassette so it was no use to me, had to revert to the chain whip.
  • 02gf74
    My old method was to wrap a short length of chain around the smallest sprocket and hold that with an adjustable wrench.
    . The chain whip cost about 3.50 and should be more robust than the wrench method