Wants thread - post your wants in here

porlyworly
porlyworly Posts: 441
edited October 2018 in Commuting chat
Shall we have a thread for anything you are on the lookout for?

I'll start the ball rolling - I'm after new jockey wheels for my dura-ace 7800 rear mech, anywhere sell them without a £5 delivery surcharge?

Could also do with a new outer chainring for 10 spd dura-ace 7900 chainset (130bcd). Currently running 53t on the outer & don't really want to pay 150ish for a Shimano chainring so if anyone has any suggestions or spots any alternatives for a decent price (Praxis, Rotor etc.) then please let me know. Thanks!
First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I could do with a new set of legs. Old ones last seen in a field near Kettering...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    PorlyWorly wrote:

I'll start the ball rolling - I'm after new jockey wheels for my dura-ace 7800 rear mech, anywhere sell them without a £5 delivery surcharge?

Could also do with a new outer chainring for 10 spd dura-ace 7900 chainset (130bcd). Currently running 53t on the outer & don't really want to pay 150ish for a Shimano chainring so if anyone has any suggestions or spots any alternatives for a decent price (Praxis, Rotor etc.) then please let me know. Thanks!
    TA rings. Get the jockey wheels at the same time.
    Job done.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    PorlyWorly wrote:

I think your real want is to upgrade your groupset! :D
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:

I think your real want is to upgrade your groupset! :D

I'd love a new groupset but can't really justify spending that much when all I need is new jockey wheels and an outer chain ring :)
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    PorlyWorly wrote:

Is this not what this part of the forum is for?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • figbat wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:

Maybe, although it doesn't look like that area of the forum gets much attention given the lack of posts / replies.

Tough crowd you guys!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    figbat wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    I'd say it's slightly different. Unless I've misunderstood, this struck me as more of a "where's the best place to buy..." type of thread. The other one is asking if anyone has an item for sale.
    It could be argued that this belongs in the Road Buying Advice section perhaps.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    figbat wrote:
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    I'd say it's slightly different. Unless I've misunderstood, this struck me as more of a "where's the best place to buy..." type of thread. The other one is asking if anyone has an item for sale.
    It could be argued that this belongs in the Road Buying Advice section perhaps.
    That's a fair point, tbh I never stray from the commuting thread unless it's to peruse the classifieds.

No worries guys just figured we have a "bargains I've spotted" and "last purchase" thread, would be useful to harvest the forum hive mind with a "I need a..." thread but if no appetite then I won't flog a dead horse.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ah - I could do with a new Shimano left hand lever - 2 speed, not triple - preferably a 5600, but I suppose I could go for a tiagra 4700 instead - currently got a 2300 lever on there and the thumb release is rubbing my ... thumb ... got a 5600 on the other side. Just can't justify spending £££ on it though - it is the winter bike!
  • tgotb
    I need a replacement spring for a right-hand SRAM road shifter; the one that pushes the shift lever forward against the brake lever. There's a part number - 11.7015.065.20, and they used to be available from SRAM dealers, but I literally can't find anyone who has one in stock - anywhere in the World. I think they must have stopped making them.
    Anyone have a crashed/broken right-hand SRAM Rival/Force shifter that still has that spring intact?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • chris_bass
    Slowbike wrote:
    ah - I could do with a new Shimano left hand lever - 2 speed, not triple - preferably a 5600, but I suppose I could go for a tiagra 4700 instead - currently got a 2300 lever on there and the thumb release is rubbing my ... thumb ... got a 5600 on the other side. Just can't justify spending £££ on it though - it is the winter bike!

ah - I have a 5600 triple you could have had!
  • slowbike
    hmm - I wonder if a triple could work ... is the shifting between middle and top the same as a double?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Slowbike wrote:
    hmm - I wonder if a triple could work ... is the shifting between middle and top the same as a double?
    I believe so, but haven't tried it myself. You just use the middle and top positions so if you accidentally shift into the unused granny ring position there is just a bit of loose cable. If you were to use bottom and middle trying to shift into top would stress everything unnecessarily.
    I only read that on here once so usual caveats of advice is worth what you paid for it apply. :wink:
  • slowbike
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    I believe so, but haven't tried it myself. You just use the middle and top positions so if you accidentally shift into the unused granny ring position there is just a bit of loose cable. If you were to use bottom and middle trying to shift into top would stress everything unnecessarily.
    I only read that on here once so usual caveats of advice is worth what you paid for it apply. :wink:
    ta

If I admit to having a 2300 shifter on the left and 5600 on the right - tells you where I am in terms of bodging ;) I'm happy to compromise on this bike ... alternative could be to buy the wife some 6700's and take her 5700's ;)
  • chris_bass
    Slowbike wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    ta

If I admit to having a 2300 shifter on the left and 5600 on the right - tells you where I am in terms of bodging ;) I'm happy to compromise on this bike ... alternative could be to buy the wife some 6700's and take her 5700's ;)

It is just collecting dust in my loft so if you cover postage feel free to give it a go!
  • slowbike
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    ta

It is just collecting dust in my loft so if you cover postage feel free to give it a go!
    excellent - thanks :) yes please ... I've got no other jobs to do on the bike ... :o

PM on it's way.
  • chris_bass
    replied :D
  • slowbike
    apparently I'm not allowed to take the wife's 5700's ... she didn't mention not upgrading to 6700's though ... perhaps I'll just get those! ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you have 10-sp 105, your lever should be either ST-5600, ST-5601, or ST-5603. ST-5600 is both double/triple compatible; it's the earliest version of 10-sp 105 shifters.
    When Shimano suffered a large number of warranty claims due to breakage of the shifters caused from improper setup and operation, it introduced the double-only compatible ST-5601 and the triple-only compatible ST-5603.

So....

A ST-5601 left shifter is the only one listed that is NOT compatible with triple cranksets

A ST-5600 left shifter IS compatible with both, but is more prone to damage when setup for double cranks. (I even managed to break mine when used with a triple)

The ST-5603 left shifter is the preferred, dedicated triple shifter for 10-sp systems

In practice, it is possible to use a 5603 shifter with a double FD / chainset, but you need to be careful with cable tension and where the extra click happens. I've never done it myself though.

You should find the model number by rolling back the hoods.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Slowbike wrote:

4700 is a different pull ratio from the older 10 speed stuff. At least it is for the rear derailleur, not sure about the front. At worst you could have a 4700 LH shifter and 4700 FD I suppose.

And I thought my shifters were contravening some unwritten matchy matchy symmetry rule because I've got an original silver 5600 RH and a second hand black 5603 LH... And F & R tyres are different models and sizes. Proper rebel me.
  • slowbike
    I've got Conti 4 seasons on the front - 23mm and Conti 4000's on the back - 25mm ... :) I should really go for a different brand ... possibly even colour - but being a bloke, I don't notice things like that ... ;)

Chris has offered his triple - so I'll hopefully try that - I can cope with slack cables :)
  • chris_bass
    Slowbike wrote:
    I've got Conti 4 seasons on the front - 23mm and Conti 4000's on the back - 25mm ... :) I should really go for a different brand ... possibly even colour - but being a bloke, I don't notice things like that ... ;)

Chris has offered his triple - so I'll hopefully try that - I can cope with slack cables :)

I think it should work - if you set the top limit (so big ring for the triple) to be what you need the big ring on your double to be and make sure the lower limit screw is set up you'll be fine!*

*any damage/injury incurred is at users risk!
  • slowbike
    the front mech is the original 2300 ... limit screws are already set :) had to change them when I changed the crankset...
    it's only my winter bike ... hoping to top 10k miles on it this winter. (not 10k miles this winter - 10k miles in it's lifetime)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Not a used want, but does anyone know the best price on Schwalbe G-One Allround TL-Easy Folding in either 700x35 or 38mm? Cheapest I can find is Merlin @ £38.99 each.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I want a steel-framed, disc bike that is not too heavy that I can use for commutes and weekend rides. I still have a nice carbon bike which I will keep, but just like steel bikes. I want something that is not too relaxed also. Oh and around £2k.

Something like the Genesis Equilibrium disc 20, but although 105 is a great groupset, i kind of think i'd want ultegra at lease on a £2k bike. I quite fancy something with campag also.

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/equilibrium-disc-20

Might be too much to ask...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    elbowloh wrote:
    I want a steel-framed, disc bike that is not too heavy that I can use for commutes and weekend rides. I still have a nice carbon bike which I will keep, but just like steel bikes. I want something that is not too relaxed also. Oh and around £2k.

Something like the Genesis Equilibrium disc 20, but although 105 is a great groupset, i kind of think i'd want ultegra at lease on a £2k bike. I quite fancy something with campag also.

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/equilibrium-disc-20

Might be too much to ask...

My brother just bought a fairlight Strael. Might be worth a peek. Lots of build options. No idea how much it cost, but knowing him, it won't have been over 2k.
  • tgotb
    elbowloh wrote:
    You could take a look at Condor; I should imagine they have a steel frame that fits the bill, and they build bikes to order with your choice of kit, so you can have whatever groupset, wheels etc you want.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    TGOTB wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    You could take a look at Condor; I should imagine they have a steel frame that fits the bill, and they build bikes to order with your choice of kit, so you can have whatever groupset, wheels etc you want.
    Fratello disc with your choice of build and budget.
    That is assuming the two cross. Prices have increased...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Is there a tool that fits the new, smaller, Shimano 105 / Ultegra bottom brackets, or do I have to make do with the crappy plastic adapter? My DS cup is pretty tight and the plastic is just getting worn and is slipping off the grooves.

If there is a proper tool then that's what I want.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • slowbike
    Asprilla wrote:
    Is there a tool that fits the new, smaller, Shimano 105 / Ultegra bottom brackets, or do I have to make do with the crappy plastic adapter? My DS cup is pretty tight and the plastic is just getting worn and is slipping off the grooves.

If there is a proper tool then that's what I want.

Ah - I thought I'd just bought a different BB - didn't realise they'd changed the size ... glad I haven't bought a better tool for the larger one now (it's stuck on my carbon bike - LBS job again I think)