Year End Deep Discounts

DexterBaxter
DexterBaxter Posts: 14
edited October 2018 in Road beginners
New to cycling at 43! Well I did cycle in my youth... So my first bike I bought over the summer used, a 2014 Specialized Dolce, supposed to be a woman's bike but I'm a small guy and it fit me perfectly. The Sora groupset shifts OK but nothing like the 105 and higher. So now I've been bitten by the cycling bug pretty bad and want to try some amateur road events here in the states.

The local bike shop has some serious deep discounts on older models going on right now. So I know everyone will say which ever bike fits you best but any other advice beyond that? Best bang for buck?

BH carbon Quartz 105 disc for 2000 (us)
Merckx carbon Sallanches 105 1600
Bianchi carbon Intenso 105 1900

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I hired that Mercx bike earlier in the year in Lanzarote - thought it was a great bike - really comfy.
  • I'm trying the Merckx this week. Seems to be the most bang for the buck at such a discount. Full carbon with a 105 setup.... Fingers crossed
  • Now I really need to try the Merckx, they dropped the price by another 300!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    the Merckx are lovely - just double check the sizing - I was looking at an L but on the geometry chart it measured up as a s/m

same as my Ridley TT bike: belgian sizes tend to run small.

merlin are also having a massive sale on merckx stuff
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sallanches 105 is £874 at Merlin.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    Sallanches 105 is £874 at Merlin.

Seriously ? - all sizes ?

Not that there is anything wrong with 105 - but I rated the frame so highly its almost worthy of a higher end gruppo
  • kingrollo
    Now I really need to try the Merckx, they dropped the price by another 300!

At £800 - Id be tempted to just grab one - and take a chance you like it - If you want an upright (ish) comfy ride - nice looking bike - its ticking one hell of a lot of boxes for £800...

Ive brought my last 3 best bikes without a test ride - unless you stick to the main brands test rides aren't always practical - I usually go through the works scheme so I am saving a good whack from RRP anyway.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Watch the sizing with Merckx bikes - a bit strange and quite different from most other manufacturers.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • I'm a small guy at 5'7 and around 140. I have weird geometry, if I set the saddle high for aggressive riding my legs are straight so it seems like any smaller frame size I still have to set the saddle lower than most. Here in the states it's 1180 US. The lbs is willing to price match as they have a number of them just sitting around the shop and still in boxes. For that price I just might grab one over looking at the other two.
  • So I tried the Merckx today and it definitely shifts 100x better than the used Dolce I'm on.
    A few things... The Dolce is a 54 size and if I try to put the saddle into a more aggressive riding position my legs are straight and of course uncomfortable. But the reach is great.
    The Merckx Sallanches frame is a bit smaller, more to my liking and I can position the saddle higher for a more aggressive riding style but I found the reach to be a bit "off".
    I think my body geometry is just weird.
  • kingrollo
    So I tried the Merckx today and it definitely shifts 100x better than the used Dolce I'm on.
    A few things... The Dolce is a 54 size and if I try to put the saddle into a more aggressive riding position my legs are straight and of course uncomfortable. But the reach is great.
    The Merckx Sallanches frame is a bit smaller, more to my liking and I can position the saddle higher for a more aggressive riding style but I found the reach to be a bit "off".
    I think my body geometry is just weird.

What sort of position are you trying to acheive ?

If you want an aggresive riding position than the Mercx isnt the ideal bike...although it could be done with a negative stem and bars to suit....But imo you want a bikes that puts you in youre desired position without too much customisation or else you end up with an expensive botch job
  • I'd say half comfort, half aggressive. I'm not just puttering around town I'm going on 20—30 mile rides and would like to enter some amateur events.

As far as the above comment on Merckx's odd sizing I'd say ditto to that. The height is better for me than the 54 Dolce but the handle bars felt strange even though the top tube is only a centimeter difference and same length stem.
  • Anyone know how to find out the dealer invoices on bikes?
  • Matthewfalle
    Anyone know how to find out the dealer invoices on bikes?

what do you mean? the trade price?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • No, here in the states we can find out what the dealer pays for a car so we can negotiate rock bottom prices. Wondering if there's a way to find this out with bikes.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    Test ride that Bianchi because it's probably the most comfortable riding of the three, plus it got the highest reviews of the three at Bike Radar; and the Bianchi is almost a pound lighter than the Merckx or the BH.