Shimano quick link hard to install

vwillrocku
vwillrocku Posts: 19
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,
I have just tried to install a new Shimano Ultegra chain with the provided quick link. Everything is fine except the quick link is hard to get to the position. I installed KMC chains with missing link before without any problem, just stepped on the pedal with brake and the missing link locked correctly and easily. But the Shimano one doesn't work this way so I am unable to ride right now. Any other ways or tips I could do? I know there is a tool called quick link connector (Shimano TL-CN10) can help but I don't want to spend money on it.
Besides, I advice people don't buy this SM-CN09 quick link for emergence purpose on road because it is never quick at all even it is called quick link. KMC is much better.
Thanks!

Comments

• Finally I did it by jumping hard on pedals. Made a loud bang sound. Not very enjoyable experience.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    I've heard that quick links are a scam. What do you think?
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    vwillrocku wrote:
    Finally I did it by jumping hard on pedals. Made a loud bang sound. Not very enjoyable experience.
    Nothing to worry about. Sometimes you need to do this, sometimes it's possible by hand too. :wink:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    I think the KMC ones are better, also found Shimano ones very hard to install. I've caved and ordered the park tool now though.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Me-109 wrote:
    I've heard that quick links are a scam. What do you think?

Absolute scam I blame Merlin.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    I had a similar problem with a KMC chain and link once early in my experience of quick links. Really struggled with it, eventually got it on using a larger bloke standing on the pedal. Stupid idea. The link then wouldn't move and it was only then that I realised they had shipped an 8 speed chain with a 9 speed link. I would now check more carefully before using excessive force.
  • Vino'sGhost
    i dont like quick links, theyre a sop to the masses who struggle with a joining pin. The joining pin is the superior and simpler method but does require a minimum of technical competence. i.e. stop winding when its in.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sop to the masses? have Rapha started making joining pins?

Absolute rubbish, quick links are easy, simple and a godsend on a wet ride in the middle of nowhere.

They've been around forever in one form or another.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Vino'sGhost
    cooldad wrote:

Absolute rubbish, quick links are easy, simple and a godsend on a wet ride in the middle of nowhere.

They've been around forever in one form or another.
    Lolol I’m not sure that Rapha is for the masses
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    i dont like quick links, theyre a sop to the masses who struggle with a joining pin. The joining pin is the superior and simpler method but does require a minimum of technical competence. i.e. stop winding when its in.

LOL - you stay with the Joining Pin Elit then. Nobody's stopping you.
  • veronese68
    cooldad wrote:
    I think that was his point, joining pins are elitist :wink:
    Personally I like a quick link, usually at any rate. I've got a couple of people going that had broken chains using quick link, could have helped a chap the other day that was looking very sorry for himself with a bloodied knee and broken chain. But as he was on 11speed and I'm still on 10 the best I could do was point him in the direction of Evans.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Have been using KMC quick links for severals years, no issues whatsoever, including reusing the "non reusable" 11 speed links.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • craigus89
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Personally I like a quick link, usually at any rate. I've got a couple of people going that had broken chains using quick link, could have helped a chap the other day that was looking very sorry for himself with a bloodied knee and broken chain. But as he was on 11speed and I'm still on 10 the best I could do was point him in the direction of Evans.

10 speed link will work on an 11 speed, it might click a little but it would get someone home just so you know for the future.
  • veronese68
    Craigus89 wrote:
    10 speed link will work on an 11 speed, it might click a little but it would get someone home just so you know for the future.
    Thought it might after I rode off, wasn't sure if it being loose would make it more likely to come undone. He'd already been over when it snapped by the look of him, bleeding slightly and by a set of lights. I wasn't awake enough at the time and my willingness to help a random at 7am probably wasn't as high as it could have been. Lots of excuses for my failing to help a fellow rider.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

ahhhhhh a bit slow on the uptake for me there woops
  • craigus89
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    Thought it might after I rode off, wasn't sure if it being loose would make it more likely to come undone. He'd already been over when it snapped by the look of him, bleeding slightly and by a set of lights. I wasn't awake enough at the time and my willingness to help a random at 7am probably wasn't as high as it could have been. Lots of excuses for my failing to help a fellow rider.

Don't worry you don't have to justify it, I rode past someone yesterday who looked like they had some semi-serious wheel problems just because I was tired and not in a great mood, but I did feel bad for the next 20 minutes. That'll come back on me one day.