So, Something Big Is Coming to The Sufferfest...a 30% price rise.

redjeepǃ
redjeepǃ Posts: 531
All,

Just had an email from Sufferfest to say that they've made some updates to their app and at the bottom of the email is the comment that the price is going up from the 1'st Nov from $10 to $12.99 per month.

Not sure what to think about this really, okay, so it's only a couple of quid a month, but it's still a 30% price rise.

Comments

• Timing is on point (from a marketing perspective) as Zwift price is increasing next month too. The Sufferfest price is actually staying the same for the annual subscription rate - so it's only going up for those who pay monthly. Interesting move.

There is new content for that extra money I guess. More features. I'm looking forward to trying some of the strength training videos when they launch. Having good success on their 4DP based training plan at the moment.
  • I let my Trainer Road subscription lapse once the season started earlier in the year, but looking to get back on it now for the winter.

Strangely, I fired up the PC in the garage last night to check all the sensors were working ok and talking to the PC. I think that because I booted up offline, the TR program still seems to think I'm subscribed, as I'm able to access all my past data, and access all workouts. Maybe due to fact I still had subscription active when I last fired up the program.

Figure as soon as I connect back to the LAN that'll probably go to pot #dilemma
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I let my Trainer Road subscription lapse once the season started earlier in the year, but looking to get back on it now for the winter.

Strangely, I fired up the PC in the garage last night to check all the sensors were working ok and talking to the PC. I think that because I booted up offline, the TR program still seems to think I'm subscribed, as I'm able to access all my past data, and access all workouts. Maybe due to fact I still had subscription active when I last fired up the program.

I know that even with a lapses subscription you can view all your past data, not sure about the rest though. I know there is a planned TR price rise though so maybe decide what you're gonna do sooner rather than later.

I didn't really think sufferfest were really in the game anymore. For me they ruined it when they prevent TrainerRoad from playing their older videos (that I had purchased and paid for).
  • joey54321 wrote:
    I let my Trainer Road subscription lapse once the season started earlier in the year, but looking to get back on it now for the winter.

I know that even with a lapses subscription you can view all your past data, not sure about the rest though. I know there is a planned TR price rise though so maybe decide what you're gonna do sooner rather than later.

I didn't really think sufferfest were really in the game anymore. For me they ruined it when they prevent TrainerRoad from playing their older videos (that I had purchased and paid for).

Yep, but what suprised me was the fact it gave me access to the full workout library too, and allowed me to load n' start up several workouts :shock:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    joey54321 wrote:
    For me they ruined it when they prevent TrainerRoad from playing their older videos (that I had purchased and paid for).
    Same with the Kinetic app.
    Very, very annoying. I paid for the videos thinking they were future proof. Idiot.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mw22
    mw22 Posts: 78
    I sent Sufferfest some comments when they ditched the old videos. Admittedly I still had copies but I normally added to my library each year.

I reluctantly joined the app on a free trial and then got frustrated with my dumb trainer not working properly with the app.

Upgraded trainer and for first time ever really enjoyed the sessions. 4dp to me was a revelation.
    Previously I'd tried to make notes of RPE and speeds I was doing on dumb trainer, 8/10 being 18mph... but that was always the same regardless of a 1 minute effort or a 40 minute effort. I gave up during sessions, I didn't recover properly between efforts.
    I came out of training last winter with big gains and even ticked off the Sufferfest Tour (and enjoyed it... well except the violator bit in kitchen sink :oops: ) .

Really looked forward to getting the bike back on this year and know I'll make gains. 30% is alot if thats how you want to spin it... percentages will always be high if the starting number was low. Couple of quid - not even cost of an inner tube.
    I'd happily carry on without consideration... thrown in the fact they are overhauling the app - custom info, no vid sessions - just makes it even better.
    I'll stick to monthly payments, this cost will give me far more return than any kit/components I buy at a fraction of the cost.
    Road: Kuota Kebel
    TT: Canyon Speedmax
    Work: Norco search
  • Worth every penny as far as I am concerned, training plans, new vids, more customisation and the strength training coming November.
  • redjeepǃ
    Deano802 wrote:
    Worth every penny as far as I am concerned, training plans, new vids, more customisation and the strength training coming November.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's not really that expensive and they do seem to be pouring money into developing it so it's probably worth it. I suppose it's all dependent upon what everybody else charges and which format is your favourite.
  • redjeepǃ
    I do wish that they'd develop an Android version though.
  • bvduck
    bvduck Posts: 44
    Redjeep! wrote:
    Yeah, you're probably right. It's not really that expensive and they do seem to be pouring money into developing it so it's probably worth it. I suppose it's all dependent upon what everybody else charges and which format is your favourite.

Hey Redjeep! David McQuillen, Founder of The Sufferfest here. Thanks for starting the discussion about our price increase. We are pouring a ton of money into further development of our app -- we've started up an office in Reno (where our Chief Tech Officer, Reid Weber, is based) and we've got a ton of things in the pipeline. We're working hard to create the most effective and comprehensive training platform available -- a one-stop-shop to get you faster, stronger and tougher. Hope you like what we release this season - keep the feedback coming!
    David McQuillen, Chief Suffering Officer
    http://www.thesufferfest.com
    @thesufferfest
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I'm consolidating down now, it's all starting to add up. I like the occasional sufferfest but it's behind traineroad and zwift in my usage so it's going. Zwift is temping me to cut the strings but I do like the occasional race on there
  • I was paying monthly, but made the switch to annual when the price rise was announced -- I guess the strategy worked on me. Like most people I started on the monthly deal to make sure I was going to stick with it. Nearly a year down the line and I'm using it almost everyday, so I really should have made the switch to annual sooner. For it represents excellent value for money. The only thing I wish is that they introduced family accounts, so my wife I didn't need two completely separate accounts.