UCI World road race, anybody going?

alanparsons
alanparsons Posts: 529
edited October 2018 in Pro race
I have just booked for the Fri/Sat/Sun staying 8km from Innsbruck.
Is anyone else going, what plans have you got, are you taking the bike (I am).

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    I shan't be, but I look forward to reading your roadside reports from the 'Highway to Höll', if you have the time and energy to post. Hope you have a great time.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • My old training partner's son from when we both started cycling (as a sport) is going to race in the junior road and time trial.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    edited September 2018
    My old training partner's son from when we both started cycling (as a sport) is going to race in the junior road and time trial.
    Have you got a name for your friends son? Would be good to follow a youngster.

Plan at the moment is Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry, a couple of rides in Holland/Belgium Valkenberg area.
    Going to Football in Dortmund on Wed then drive down to Zirl (8km from Innsbruck) Thursday.
    Friday and Saturday morning rides and then train to the Fan Zone in afternoon.
    Mens race is Sunday morning so straight into Finish Zone for whole day of Beer and Bikes.
    Then take a couple of days to drive home to Norfolk.
  • My old training partner's son from when we both started cycling (as a sport) is going to race in the junior road and time trial.

Plan at the moment is Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry, a couple of rides in Holland/Belgium Valkenberg area.
    Going to Football in Dortmund on Wed then drive down to Zeil (8km from Innsbruck) Thursday.
    Mens race is Sunday morning so straight into Finish Zone for whole day of Beer and Bikes.

Ben Healy - his dad used to post on here or at least on the old forum - we both got into the sport at the same time actually met on a ride another forumite organised.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    My old training partner's son from when we both started cycling (as a sport) is going to race in the junior road and time trial.

Going to Football in Dortmund on Wed then drive down to Zirl (8km from Innsbruck) Thursday.

I'm slightly jealous, that sounds a fun few days. Enjoy!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    I'm a Dortmund fan (grew up in Dortmund) and have friends in Kufstein and Innsbruck and Salzburg, so I was thinking of driving down to see the world championships live. Unfortunately I'll be in Hong Kong at the time though, so all I can say is, have the very best time and post pics here if you can!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Much info to be found here, to be browsed through and digested at ones leisure.

http://www.uci.org/news/2018/2018-uci-r ... -documents
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Much info to be found here, to be browsed through and digested at ones leisure.

http://www.uci.org/news/2018/2018-uci-r ... -documents

Thank you.
  • Bonnie Tyler is playing on the Friday night!

Get me over there quick! #turnaroundbrighteyes

Unfortunately she is playing at Kufstein (start town for the road race) 80km from Innsbruck.

#itsaheartache

Unfortunately she is playing at Kufstein (start town for the road race) 80km from Innsbruck.

#itsaheartache
    Just a train ride away ;-)
    I'm already in Austria close to Kufstein. I ride past Rattenberg where theTT starts regularly, there has been a new kids skills area and BMX track built in the last 3 months. There is a guy paid to sit and watch a hose pipe on the new grass they have planted every day!
  • Stopping in Koblenz on the way back. Planning on popping into the Canyon factory/shop, not planning a purchase but there should be room in the car for an Aeroad if they have a sale on!!
  • I know one of the grips on the GB squad who going. My wheels are joining her so im going in a sort of way.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Just got back from riding into Innsbruck, all the pros are reconing the Höll climb, I followed Tom D over the bridge and he promptly disappeared!!
    It is VERY narrow and steep from the start with 90° turns in the first 500m. There are barriers but not all the way up! I guess this means there will be no spectators on the rest of the climb. If there are it will be a farce.
    My prediction is there will be less than 20 finishers in the race, if you are not right at the front then there is no way anyone can make up places(there will be walking involved). Expect the majority of riders to call it a day on the last lap of the Olympic loop.
  • OK, so it's all over.
    Currently holed up in Koln on the way back to the UK.
    Got to say the whole thing was bloody marvellous, started with a ride around the Rhur valley followed by Dortmund beating Nurnberg 7-0 in the football.
    Then down to Austria. Hotel in Zirl was excellent and location perfect for riding and getting into Innsbruck(15mins on bus).
    Weather was superb, cool and fresh in the morning and warming up nicely in the afternoons.
    Had pre-purchased ticket for the finish area (60euro for 4 days,including local bus/train fares).
    Rode/walked the Krone Holl sportive on Sat morning. Met some really nice people from all over the world and had a few beers with some brilliant Dutch and Belgian fans.
    Will post up some photos later in the week when I get home.
  • Looking forward to the photos - sounds brilliant.

During my travels around Europe, my overwhelming impression of Dutch cyclists is that if they find out you also ride, they will press a beer into your hand quicker than you can say 'Zoetemelk'