A loop of Birmingham, who's up for it?

Comments

• Sorted...
    left the forum March 2023
  • left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for doing this - I see it starts in Balsall Common where I was brought up, my folks are still there. If I'm around would be up for the event next year but will also be down that way in a couple of weeks and thought i might give your route a go. Trouble is the gpx won't load up into Bike Hub - says it's too long. Are there any other bike sat-nav apps anyone recommends that can handle 211km?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    adetowell wrote:
    Thanks for doing this - I see it starts in Balsall Common where I was brought up, my folks are still there. If I'm around would be up for the event next year but will also be down that way in a couple of weeks and thought i might give your route a go. Trouble is the gpx won't load up into Bike Hub - says it's too long. Are there any other bike sat-nav apps anyone recommends that can handle 211km?
    RwGPS?
  • I tried the free version of RwGPS and couldn't seem to load anything on it or even use as a satnav without having to upgrade to the paying version. Am i doing something wrong or do you have to pay? Am a tight arse.
    Sorry for the off topic
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • FIle too big?

Load it on BikeHike, choose options and resize to 1000 points, then save as GPX track.

If you want to enter the actual Audax, you might want to make up your mind sooner rather than later. I've got nearly a third of the places filled already... it's been open for 12 hours (although I suspect it will slow down)
  • FIle too big?

Load it on BikeHike, choose options and resize to 1000 points, then save as GPX track.

If you want to enter the actual Audax, you might want to make up your mind sooner rather than later. I've got nearly a third of the places filled already... it's been open for 12 hours (although I suspect it will slow down)

Thanks that worked on Bike Hub.
    Is hard to commit to the event at the moment as I may be out of the country start of july. Looks great though.
  • If you complete the loop, sign up on the club on Strava and I'll issue a certificate for you
  • 5 places left on the Audax

EDIT: gone... entries closed. Reserve list for AUK members only
  • Did I sell out before Velo Birmingham? :-)
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Horlexs - just seen this :(
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Casual ride for club members... if anyone is local and wants to join

https://www.strava.com/clubs/472362/group_events/389068

Not sure if you’ve ridden all that route before but an irate resident once stopped me as I was cycling down Roman road, Litle Aston, and told me there was no public right of way at all, if that bothers you.

Also, if anyone baulks at the mighty ford that crosses Hints Lane then just back track a few metres and there’s an off-road path through the trees to the other side of it. Then enjoy my favourite climb round here up to Canwell. Good job I’ve got a duff knee at the moment or I’d show you how it was done :D

You were unlucky down Roman Road, have run down there dozens and dozens of times and never been spoken to. Hints Ford in winter, once saw a chap fall off in the middle of it, it was running deep too. I didn’t laugh.
  • TLW1 wrote:
    Horlexs - just seen this :(

Will reopen in early December, but I only have 10-15 places left. If you send me a PM with your name and email, I'll add you to a mailing list and let you know when I re-open
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Due to large demand and not enough capacity in the main event, I have opened entries for a further BRUM 200 in September... this one is the X-Rated, which means no frills, as the entry fee suggests. Here

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-83/
  • ugo.santalucia
    Despite a touch of rain, a great time was had by all at the first BRUM 200... and the low temperature for July meant the vegan curry at the finish was very welcome, as was the free beer
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Glad it went well, free beer explains why TLW was so keen to get an entry.
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    Despite a touch of rain, a great time was had by all at the first BRUM 200... and the low temperature for July meant the vegan curry at the finish was very welcome, as was the free beer

Well done mate.

Sorry I couldn't make it.

Next year.....
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:

It wasn't in the plan, but I had over 20 people emailing me in the weeks before that they couldn't make it... so there was some extra money to spend... :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Veronese68 wrote:

It wasn't in the plan, but I had over 20 people emailing me in the weeks before that they couldn't make it... so there was some extra money to spend... :wink:
    Good way to spend it. :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Good way to spend it. :D

Agree... I am also looking at the Assos website... :lol:
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I'm surpised at the DNS(A) rate for a 200, post-PBP quals.

Well done for putting an event on.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Peat wrote:
    I'm surpised at the DNS(A) rate for a 200, post-PBP quals.

2/3rd of entries were from non AUK members and they all signed up very early... that is not to say that AUKs showed up in mass. Apparently it's quite common this year... look at the results for the TINAT rides in June, hardly anybody validated compared to last year
  • peat
    Tinat was an odd one.

It was distinctly quieter than last year for a start, more like a 'normal' Audax than the full-on festival of cycling enjoyed last time.

PBP effect? There were no qualifying rides, but it was moved 2 weeks back to avoid the qualification windows anyway. So, we're people just enjoying a weekend off after a busy period of qualifiers? Did the severity of the rides last year put people off?

At the post-event hog-roast and booze-up, there were very few people who had actually completed thier rides. I scratched from mine. I think 6 started the 300km off-roader, only 1 finished. Just brutal.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Peat wrote:
    Tinat was an odd one.

It was distinctly quieter than last year for a start, more like a 'normal' Audax than the full-on festival of cycling enjoyed last time.

PBP effect? There were no qualifying rides, but it was moved 2 weeks back to avoid the qualification windows anyway. So, we're people just enjoying a weekend off after a busy period of qualifiers? Did the severity of the rides last year put people off?

At the post-event hog-roast and booze-up, there were very few people who had actually completed thier rides. I scratched from mine. I think 6 started the 300km off-roader, only 1 finished. Just brutal.

Can't blame everything on PBP... I don't think PBP affects shorter brevets like mine. I think it's down to people signing up very early.
    Personally I don't mind, every DNS is more money I can invest in making other riders' day better. I spent 60 quid to give every finisher (and every helper) a beer, wouldn't have been able to do so if everybody showed up
  • peat

Can't blame everything on PBP...

Trust me. I can. I am sick to the back teeth of PeeebeeePeee.
    Personally I don't mind, every DNS is more money I can invest in making other riders' day better. I spent 60 quid to give every finisher (and every helper) a beer, wouldn't have been able to do so if everybody showed up

Fair enough, and good on you.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Peat wrote:

Can't blame everything on PBP...

Trust me. I can. I am sick to the back teeth of PeeebeeePeee.

It grabs the headlines and if you spend time on YACF it's all they talk about. That said, in the BP and BR 200 scene you will find that the vast majority of people have nothing to do with PBP and most of them have never ridden any further than 200.
  • Second edition of BRUM 200, the full fat Loop of Birmingham opens for entries on Saturday in the early hours of the morning. Partly new route

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/20-82/
  • Looks like a good route. I used to live near by Lichfield/Rugely area years ago and did the Birmingham velo last year!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • BigMitch41 wrote:
    Looks like a good route. I used to live near by Lichfield/Rugely area years ago and did the Birmingham velo last year!

It's quite a bit longer and harder than Velo Brum, but it's also more rewarding in terms of route... and they don't cook for you at the end... :lol: