30.9 External (inline) Dropper Post recomendations

trek_dan
trek_dan Posts: 1,366
edited October 2018 in MTB buying advice
I always thought I wouldn't need a dropper on my XC bike but after getting smashed in the nuts more times than I care to remember at the weekend I'm going to take the plunge. My absolute max budget is £150 and looking for recommendations. I'm not that fussed on a Reverb, although there are plenty around second hand within budget as I'd rather have the simplicity of a cable dropper. Would I get a second hand Thomson within budget? And if I could would it be worth it over buying say a BrandX one from CRC new? Any other brands to consider?

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    X Fusion and KS are other brands to look at, although Reverb's are pretty much fit and forget. I think Funn also make a cheap dropper.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • trek_dan
    CitizenLee wrote:
    X Fusion and KS are other brands to look at, although Reverb's are pretty much fit and forget. I think Funn also make a cheap dropper.
    I've got no experience with Reverbs personally, I was on a trip with a friend a while ago and his managed to loose hydraulics and get stuck fully down while in the middle of nowhere - its always kind of put me off even though I know 99.9% of the they'll be fine.
  • CitizenLee
    trek_dan wrote:
    I've got no experience with Reverbs personally, I was on a trip with a friend a while ago and his managed to loose hydraulics and get stuck fully down while in the middle of nowhere - its always kind of put me off even though I know 99.9% of the they'll be fine.

Would be just as annoying if a cable snapped in the middle of nowhere too though.

Also, wouldn't a cable actuated post stay at full extension but remain bouncy if the cable snapped? I'm not entirely sure how the cable ones work to be honest :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • trek_dan
    CitizenLee wrote:
    trek_dan wrote:

Would be just as annoying if a cable snapped in the middle of nowhere too though.

Also, wouldn't a cable actuated post stay at full extension but remain bouncy if the cable snapped? I'm not entirely sure how the cable ones work to be honest :)

Cables controlled ones stay up and don't bounce.
  • CitizenLee
    Ah, that's good to know. Plenty of options out there then ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • I have only ever bought one cable operated one (no complaints), but it came as standard with an under the saddle lever operation. Bar remote was £50 extra. So when my cable failed because I hadn't set it up right, I was able to use the lever for the rest of the ride.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    Ive just managed to get a Fox Doss dropper post off ebay for £90. It was in mint condition not used much and looked after by the previous owner. i put a new cable on it, which is very easy to do and it works like a dream.
    Two levels of drop 40mm and 125mm.

Have a read up and do a bit of research, its worth it.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Liking my Giant dropper, comes in 100, 125 and 150mm drop. Internal cartridge can be swapped out fairly cheaply and its DIY swappable from external to stealth routing if you change the frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • trek_dan
    Managed to get a used Thomson dropper for £80 - so far so good.
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I like how the cable for the externally routed Brand X ones goes in at the bottom of the drop, rather that the top. Means you don't get a big loop of cable when the seat is down. 2 year warranty too, I'd get one of those.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two