Carbon frame cleaning

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited October 2018 in Workshop
Got a nice new matt black carbon bike from merlin, so what's the best way to clean it. Good old warm water, turtle wax, much off, washing up liquid, baby wipes all been mentioned

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Clean it in the same way you would clean any other frame.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Baby wipes
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    redvision wrote:
    Baby wipes
    nah - they contain too much unrecyclable plastic ...

dirty - soapy water & sponge
    dry off with a cloth

if it's just dusty then a simple polish and cloth will suffice.
  • imposter2.0
    redvision wrote:
    Baby wipes

Absurdly wasteful and usually go straight to landfill. Plus they are actually not that effective...
  • orlok
    orlok Posts: 89
    redvision wrote:
    Baby wipes
    +1 very good advice I agree :wink:
    There will be always a moment of tailwind.Pinarello F8/10 - Ultegra 8000 Di2 - Carbonspeed C50 UST - Tubeless
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Imposter wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    Baby wipes

Absurdly wasteful and usually go straight to landfill. Plus they are actually not that effective...

So use biodegradable ones.

I have know idea what you ride through but I have found baby wipes to be great at cleaning the bike.

OP water and a cloth is also good, although I suspect imposter may disagree as some may deem it a waste of water... :roll:
  • imposter2.0
    redvision wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    redvision wrote:
    Baby wipes

So use biodegradable ones.

I have know idea what you ride through but I have found baby wipes to be great at cleaning the bike.

OP water and a cloth is also good, although I suspect imposter may disagree as some may deem it a waste of water... :roll:

I did say 'usually' go straight to landfill, as the majority are still non-bio, and it's a relatively expensive way of moving dirt around the frame. Bucket and sponge and a bit of soap and water is all you need in reality.
  • Pledge :idea:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Soap and water and I wipe down with WD40 to help with preventing crud and flies sticking too well on the next rides. Mine is a matt black frame and leaves no shiny resideue.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy a mountain bike and stop being a pussy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Hot water, washing up liquid, cloth....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Washing up liquid? No no no! you wouldn't or shouldn't wash your car with it so why your bike? Here is why https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice ... -your-car/

Use warm water with car shampoo, wet the bike before and rinse off after, leave to dry. You don't NEED to polish but it does help get those bits you missed and makes it easier to wash next time, just use pledge or Mr Sheen with a clean dry cloth.
  • imposter2.0
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Washing up liquid? No no no! you wouldn't or shouldn't wash your car with it so why your bike? Here is why https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice ... -your-car/

Use warm water with car shampoo, wet the bike before and rinse off after, leave to dry. You don't NEED to polish but it does help get those bits you missed and makes it easier to wash next time, just use pledge or Mr Sheen with a clean dry cloth.

Hmm - an article on why you should use 'proper car cleaning products' rather than washing up liquid. Based on research conducted by Simoniz....
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    Washing up liquid? No no no! you wouldn't or shouldn't wash your car with it so why your bike? Here is why https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice ... -your-car/
    I don’t wash my car. However I fairly sure when I bought my bike it wouldn’t have been waxed like a car and the paint won’t be water based.
    In fact a couple of them just have a carbon finish. When I first started cycling many years ago and you had a choice of a steel bike or a steel bike. Everyone washed their bikes with washing up liquid.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    OnTheRopes wrote:

A car detailer will tell you to periodically use washing up liquid in the wash to help with resealing the paint.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pledge :idea:

this.

i use mr sheen but only because its cheaper.

degrease
    shampo wash
    dry
    mr sheen

simples.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Webboo wrote:
    OnTheRopes wrote:
    I don’t wash my car. However I fairly sure when I bought my bike it wouldn’t have been waxed like a car and the paint won’t be water based.
    In fact a couple of them just have a carbon finish. When I first started cycling many years ago and you had a choice of a steel bike or a steel bike. Everyone washed their bikes with washing up liquid.

washing up liquid is fine. if anything, you're immediately hosing it all off anyhow.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Soapy water user here (with washing up liquid), and citrus degreaser for any greasy/oily bits. Of course the citrus degreaser can be washed off with water.

The argument about not using washing up liquid is that it will clean too well, removing any waxy coatings applied to the paint. I'm not sure that really applies so much to a bike.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    drlodge wrote:
    Soapy water user here (with washing up liquid), and citrus degreaser for any greasy/oily bits. Of course the citrus degreaser can be washed off with water.

The argument about not using washing up liquid is that it will clean too well, removing any waxy coatings applied to the paint. I'm not sure that really applies so much to a bike.

I thought it was the salt content? in anycase you're right, it's all cobblers.

Clean with washing up liquid and hot water, rinse well.

for a matt finish spray gt85 (or pledge or whatever) and wipe the bike over. it will be cracking

Its a bike not a picasso
  • Matthewfalle
    OnTheRopes wrote:

article linked sponsored by Simoniz.

Any one any idea what Simoniz sell?

Oh.

Washing up liquid is fine.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Tend not to use washing up liquid due to the micro abrasives, usually just mix up a bit of what ever car shampoo I have about.

If you get bored you can go to town with the car cleaning products but it doesnt really help on a carbon frame.