Tips for pressure sensors in road

stridertexas
stridertexas Posts: 7
edited September 2018 in Road general
I’ve tried finding answers to this online, but with no luck.

My rides find myself going through gates that open for cars when they slowly approach he gate and sensors in the road are aware of the car.

These sensors are essentially the outline of a large rectangle, almost the same width as the gate.

Any tips on how to trick them? I realize weight may be the only factor to trip the sensor, but I’ve found myself trying to ride over them in circles and zigzagging, but to no luck. I’m sure I look extra goofy to those witnessing this :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Eat lots of pies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ride over them wearing a 35kg backpack....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Never come across them in the UK. I have had sets of traffic lights that were triggered the same though. Only the cars would set them off. So it was either just wait for cars to come or find a different route. .

Who owns the gates ?
  • They are called scoop sensors. You need the size and mass of a vehicle to trick them.
  • cougie wrote:
    Never come across them in the UK. I have had sets of traffic lights that were triggered the same though. Only the cars would set them off. So it was either just wait for cars to come or find a different route. .

Who owns the gates ?

It’s a series of neighborhoods that I live near. Super nice roads and less traffic in them :D

Scoop sensors...I’ll look them up. Thanks!
  • Are there different types of sensors? End of our street had on demand lights and they never used to trigger with our bikes unless we had a trailer attached for some reason. Now they're working but only if my wheels are on the tar sealed gaps. It can't be weight but I wondered if there's an electrical sensor there.

Not really bothered because I either wait for the lights to change or I nip out on red because I commute before traffic builds up so nobody around to catch me. Of course I walk my bike around the corner.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,220
    It's an induction loop and is triggered by a metal object of sufficient size running over it. Carbon framed bikes do not contain enough metal nor do some lightweight metal ones. My Ti bike for instance does not trigger them but my steel tourer does.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,456
    As above they are induction loops and need a ferrous metal (Steel or iron content ) to trigger them. Metal cleats might work if you stood on the line

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    One trick suggested in the motorcycle fraternity is to mount a small neodymium magnet on the underside of the frame, which should interact with the induction loops and trigger the sensor.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • figbat wrote:
    One trick suggested in the motorcycle fraternity is to mount a small neodymium magnet on the underside of the frame, which should interact with the induction loops and trigger the sensor.
    Tried this but they keep falling off.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,885
    figbat wrote:
    I used one in my pedal axle hex to measure cadence. They don't fall off.
    That should work. Maybe....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    figbat wrote:
    A small cadence sensor magnet is more likely to cure arthritis than it is to trigger an induction loop under tarmac. You might as well sit around waiting for a random fluctuation in the earth's magnetic field, or a car.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    figbat wrote:
    A small cadence sensor magnet is more likely to cure arthritis than it is to trigger an induction loop under tarmac. You might as well sit around waiting for a random fluctuation in the earth's magnetic field, or a car.
    Or have 35kg of magnets in a backpack.
  • imposter2.0
    They are called scoop sensors. You need the size and mass of a vehicle to trick them.

I should know better where your posts are concerned, but I just looked this up. As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as a 'scoop sensor'. Can you provide some further info, or a link to where this term of reference is used? I will happily be corrected...
  • Imposter wrote:
    They are called scoop sensors. You need the size and mass of a vehicle to trick them.

I should know better where your posts are concerned, but I just looked this up. As far as I can tell, there is no such thing as a 'scoop sensor'. Can you provide some further info, or a link to where this term of reference is used? I will happily be corrected...
    Get ready for a long weight....
  • imposter2.0
    I see what you did there ;)

• Or have 35kg of magnets in a backpack.

That might actually work.
  • imposter2.0

No info on the 'scoop sensors' then?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Imposter wrote:

Or why crosschaining is ok because quality assurance??????
  • Imposter wrote:

https://www.fondriest.com/news/national ... -scoop.htm

Used for traffic lights at fords.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

https://www.fondriest.com/news/national ... -scoop.htm

Used for traffic lights at fords.

Ah thanks. I missed the bit in the OP's post about the gates being in the middle of the ocean... ;)
  • Manglier wrote:
    It's an induction loop and is triggered by a metal object of sufficient size running over it. Carbon framed bikes do not contain enough metal nor do some lightweight metal ones. My Ti bike for instance does not trigger them but my steel tourer does.
    This.

When you stop on it, try laying your bike over which presents the spokes as a metal object for the sensors to pick up. Gives much more surface area to interact with... If the frame is metal that will help too.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    figbat wrote:
    It wasn't me who suggested using a small neodymium magnet. I have no idea if it will work.
    I simply suggested a way of attaching it so it does not fall off.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • If you crosschain big big the chain will be closer to the tarmac and set off the sensor.
  • shortfall
    If you crosschain big big the chain will be closer to the tarmac and set off the sensor.

If you crosschain with 35kgs on your back then the tyres will deflect more and you'll be nearer to the floor still (assuming you didn't get another puncture and had to abandon your ride before you arrived at the sensor).
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Manglier wrote:
    This.

When you stop on it, try laying your bike over which presents the spokes as a metal object for the sensors to pick up. Gives much more surface area to interact with... If the frame is metal that will help too.
    Yeah, this. Vehicle gates at work would open if you laid the bike flat over the induction grid.

And yeah, less likely to work with a carbon bike, more likely to work with a steel one...
  • Electromagnets in the souls of your shoes.
  • pblakeney
    Shortfall wrote:
    If you crosschain big big the chain will be closer to the tarmac and set off the sensor.

If you crosschain with 35kgs on your back then the tyres will deflect more and you'll be nearer to the floor still (assuming you didn't get another puncture and had to abandon your ride before you arrived at the sensor).
    Just a small point, but some of us are already 35kgs heavier than others. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shortfall
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:

Just a small point, but some of us are already 35kgs heavier than others. :wink:

Lol me included.