Evans & Brompton

flappy8
flappy8 Posts: 172
edited October 2018 in Commuting general
Apparently according to the press Evans cycles are suffering from the High Street retails problems that many are suffering from. I would suggest that they are suffering from an attitude problem.
I called Evans in Hendon to see if they had some Bromptons to look at as I live some distance away but could get no one to answer the phone. I tried a total of 8 times over 4 days but still no one could answer the phone. I tried one last time and selected the option for the workshop as I guessed that was the best chance of getting someone. The person who answered was irritated that I had called and was just generally rude and unpleasant although I was polite.
I called Evens customer services to explain the issue and to give some feedback, and that lady who answered just said in an offhand manner that she couldn't get through to the shops either....... So that's OK then?

Where's the best place to go Brompton shopping in N London/Herts?
MTB or Road - They are both good!

Comments

• Postcode?

Try this, if you want to know if Evans have any, select a stock model and then see if there is stock in the store on the website.

Alternatively, google says St Albans cycles?

What is it that you want to know/see about a Brompton?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    So a mechanic is working on a bike, phone rings so he has to down tools and wipe his hands to answer the phone for a sales query that he may not have access to the information for. Not surprised he was irritated.
  • flappy8
    Veronese68 wrote:
    So a mechanic is working on a bike, phone rings so he has to down tools and wipe his hands to answer the phone for a sales query that he may not have access to the information for. Not surprised he was irritated.
    I'm not surprised either. But my point is that for retail to succeed (which I think is in all our interests) it will do so by providing some kind of customer service.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    flappy8 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I'm not surprised either. But my point is that for retail to succeed (which I think is in all our interests) it will do so by providing some kind of customer service.
    I completely agree, sales should answer a phone if they want sales. Just thought that bit was an unfair criticism.
  • flappy8
    Postcode?

Try this, if you want to know if Evans have any, select a stock model and then see if there is stock in the store on the website. -

Just because a product is shown 'in stock' doesn't mean you can see it. It may still be boxed or the numbers may be wrong.

I just want some old fashioned service, someone to show me the different models and top be able to touch/feel a £1000 folding commuter bike before I committed as this type of machine is totally new to me.
  • flappy8 wrote:
    Postcode?

Try this, if you want to know if Evans have any, select a stock model and then see if there is stock in the store on the website. -

Just because a product is shown 'in stock' doesn't mean you can see it. It may still be boxed or the numbers may be wrong.

I just want some old fashioned service, someone to show me the different models and top be able to touch/feel a £1000 folding commuter bike before I committed as this type of machine is totally new to me.

They're Bromptons. They just unfold. They're unlikely to be out the back.

Again, what is it you'd like to know about a Brompton?
  • So:

Hendon
    Blue M6L in stock
    Black M3L in stock
    Black H6L in stock
    Lime S6L in stock

Chalk Farm
    Quite a few M6L in stock in different colours
    Black M3L in stock
    Black H6L in stock
    Black S6L in stock

Quite a few gears and bars to choose from there. Unless you want a 2 speed, most things covered.
  • Veronese68 wrote:

Rubbish. a decent staff member would apologise to the customer.

' I'm sorry but you've come through to the workshop. Hold on a minute and I'll transfer you to someone that can help'

The guy is working for the company not himself and should act in the best interest of the company.
  • flappy8

They're Bromptons. They just unfold. They're unlikely to be out the back.

Again, what is it you'd like to know about a Brompton?

As I said I wanted to touch it and see if I thought it would suit my needs and not waste my time driving for 40mins when they didn't actually have it. My point on here was more about Evan's than it was about about Brompton.

Anyway I called Addiktion in StAlbans who did bother to answer the phone, they told me what they had and I visited this afternoon. Nice guys. Having seen them, I'll look a bit more at the options on the Brompton website, ride their demo machine next week and in all probably order one. That's a sale lost by Evans (who have been my default up to now) and a sale gained by a company who care.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My guess is that they're cutting costs by reducing staff. That's why the phones aren't getting answered.

If you're interested in Brompton go to Brompton Junction in Covent Garden. It's all Bromptons there. Much better Idea than an Evans.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Go to Spitalfields Market, Evans and Cycle Surgery have lots if you want to see one in the flesh. Cycle Surgery even have the moped version there.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"