indexing problem- not cable, hanger, mech or cassette

ohdannyboyc
ohdannyboyc Posts: 3
edited September 2018 in Workshop
hi all

Cannondale Synapse, with Tiagra 10 speed

for a while now, the indexing has been a bit out, and no amount of adjusting could sort it out. I would be okay one end of the cassette, but it gradually go out of trim and miss a gear when it got to the other end of the cassette. If I reindexed it that end, the same thing would happen going the other way.

Being internal cables, I was putting off changing the cables, but eventually bit the bullet, and did it without too many problems. Replaced the inners and outers, but afterwards still had exactly the same problem. I lived with it for a while.

I then replaced the hanger- the old one looked ok, but tried a new one anyway- no effect.

As i do a few steep hills, I've now just changed my cassette from a 12-28 to 11-34- this obviously meant changing to a long cage mech. So- new cassette, chain and rear mech... just reindexed it aaaaaaannnd.... I still the same problem! AAAAGGGGHHHH!

The only other thing I can think of is the STI shifter? The action of the levers are nice and smooth, but maybe the amount of pull is slightly out? This doesn't seem to affect one part of the cassette- it just gradually goes out of sync from one side of the cassette to the other.

anyone else experienced similar problems?

cheers!

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Has it always done this?

Perhaps bite the bullet and take it to a reputable shop to double check it's not you?

I have never, ever heard of an STI lever 'loosing' it's indexing.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    To check the hanger you really need a Hanger Alignment Tool. This will ensure the mating face of the hanger is parallel to the plane of the wheel in both axis. The frame /hanger interface can be off.

A LBS can do this for you.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Does the cable go the right side of the clamp bolt on the rear mech?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And did you replace a short cage 4700 mech with a long 4700? Or have you tried to upgrade it using an older 10 speed 105, Ultegra etc?
  • Lube the cables up, then wind the B screw all the way out, until the top jockey wheel is just touching the largest sprocket. Shift up and down the whole cassette a couple of times. If this improves matters, wind the B screw in until there’s a slight gap at the big sprocket to top jockey wheel, and then run the indexing checks again.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Lube the cables up, then wind the B screw all the way out, until the top jockey wheel is just touching the largest sprocket. Shift up and down the whole cassette a couple of times. If this improves matters, wind the B screw in until there’s a slight gap at the big sprocket to top jockey wheel, and then run the indexing checks again.

Why do you waste people's time with nonsense like this?

As Keef says - is the cable running on the correct side of the clamp bolt?
  • thanks for the replies so far.

Yes, its always been Tiagra 10 speed. swapped liked for like (4700) , but with the long cage mech to cope with the 34 cassette.

The cable was on the left/ underside of the clamp bolt, through the guide groove- presumably, that's where it's meant to go?

i was a bit sceptical, but I did try it on the other side, aaaaaaaaand...... it made a helluva difference!

its still not absolutely perfect, but much, much better. It does at least hit every gear now...just the odd one or two where it needs a lil trim on the lever.

Next time I'm passing the LBS, Ill get the hanger checked, just in case the interface with the frame isnt spot on.

cheers guys.
  • Isn't that mech only good for cassettes up to 32t?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Lube the cables up, then wind the B screw all the way out, until the top jockey wheel is just touching the largest sprocket. Shift up and down the whole cassette a couple of times. If this improves matters, wind the B screw in until there’s a slight gap at the big sprocket to top jockey wheel, and then run the indexing checks again.

Oh I don’t know, here’s a poster on another forum with a similar issue, to whom I gave the advice I gave here.

“I had another look at the hanger. As before, it's absolutely spot on, so I had a go at removing the H limiter and starting with a pre-tensioned cable as I described above. That didn't work.

I had a look at the B screw. I had it screwed quite a long way in, so I unscrewed it until it was too far and the jockeys were touching the cassette. However, even at this setting, the indexing was better than before so I carefully adjusted the B screw and tested the indexing until I got it all changing as slick as a rifle-bolt.”

It was Absolutely nothing to do with the routing through the pinch bolt.
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:

Oh I don’t know, here’s a poster on another forum with a similar issue, to whom I gave the advice I gave here.

“I had another look at the hanger. As before, it's absolutely spot on, so I had a go at removing the H limiter and starting with a pre-tensioned cable as I described above. That didn't work.

I had a look at the B screw. I had it screwed quite a long way in, so I unscrewed it until it was too far and the jockeys were touching the cassette. However, even at this setting, the indexing was better than before so I carefully adjusted the B screw and tested the indexing until I got it all changing as slick as a rifle-bolt.”

Give us a link to this 'other' thread..?

• The cable was on the left/ underside of the clamp bolt, through the guide groove- presumably, that's where it's meant to go?

i was a bit sceptical, but I did try it on the other side, aaaaaaaaand...... it made a helluva difference!

its still not absolutely perfect, but much, much better. It does at least hit every gear now...just the odd one or two where it needs a lil trim on the lever.

This. Times 1,000.

I have no idea why there isn't a little groove or mark on the mech to indicate the cable routing around the bolt. It makes a huge difference.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • imposter2.0
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Give us a link to this 'other' thread..?

Actually, I think I've found it - on Pistonheads... https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... 68830&i=20 - and I am guessing your username is mr 'GOATever' (nice name, nice and modest). If that is you, there is no evidence of anyone on that thread, you or anyone else, advising him to adjust the b-screw - he seems to have come up with that solution all by himself. Unless I've missed something. I've only scanned the thread, so feel free to point it out, if so. In the meantime, I can't help thinking that basically, you've just been rumbled telling another big, fat lie.