CPACycling election

dave milne
dave milne Posts: 703
edited October 2018 in Pro race
Anyone see the fuss over this. Seems they organised the election on such a day that only riders who are physically at the worlds and not racing on the Wednesday can vote.

https://twitter.com/alexdowsett/status/ ... 8847479814

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Some confusion over the vote ? Its the next day.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Seems like typical cycling competance to me...

The CPA's twitter accound is gettin' well sarky with the riders...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Cycling Weekly have a piece on this.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/late ... ion-394734
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Good interview with Millar on the Cycling Podcast this week. Highlights a lot of the issues and what he sees the CPA shoudl actually be doing.
    I've seen the usual kneejerk reactions to Millar's bid from detractors on the twitters etc - when he lays out the current situation and the work required, it seems like a lot of work pushing water uphill so fair play to him. he doesn't need to be putting himself forward and I doubt any remuneration that comes from the role will make a massive difference to his financial position.
    He does seem a bit resigned to the fact it's a done deal given the block vote power of the French reps, would be great if he made a bid to swing that block towards him - don't know what his 'stock' is in France but generally he seems well connected.
    As far I can tell, Bugno has only ever been a figurehead president. Most of the decent reforms the CPA has been associated with have been driven by other parties.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Seems like typical cycling competance to me...

The CPA's twitter account is gettin' well sarky with the riders...

Sounds like it's run by the lady the Cycling Pod interviewed. Far more interested in trying to deflect issues and complain about Millar being a candidate than address why the riders aren't happy.
  • Yeah the tone of that twitter account is much more outraged young mum than 'professional' sporting body.
  • I can't actually believe there are 131 WT / PCT French pros. Well I can but most of them have a cosy career in French PCT teams without ever really doing anything.

Be interesting to know the win / rider ratio at WT, .HC & .1 level by nation.
  • I can't actually believe there are 131 WT / PCT French pros. Well I can but most of them have a cosy career in French PCT teams without ever really doing anything.

Be interesting to know the win / rider ratio at WT, .HC & .1 level by nation.

:roll:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    DnXwzznX0AI9_n6.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/cpacycling/status/1 ... 3399489536

It doesn't seem great spending time on a fancy website to centralize communication, when the people you are supposed to represent have to globally commune to decide who runs their organisation.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    That's utterly crazy that they have to vote in person when the riders come from across the globe.
    Add in the block votes and you have FIFA style corruption.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    That's utterly crazy that they have to vote in person when the riders come from across the globe.
    Add in the block votes and you have FIFA style corruption.
    From the interviews on the cycling podcast (both the Millar one and the lady from the CPA) it sounds like nobody knew there even was a voting process previously.

It seems to work a bit like the US electoral college where the representative of each country wields votes equal to the number of riders from that country (where that country is a member of the CPA - otherwise the riders need to turn up in person). But unlike the electoral college, in the past this has just been decided by discussion and agreement between the reps of each country.

The lady from the CPA seemed pretty aggrieved on the podcast. I though Millar articulated his points very well, but there's clearly something he's not telling us as the CPA woman said he'd been working for and with them in the past, and had been offered some sort of role with them before. But now he's decided to go and cause an almighty furor (although some of that seems to have been exaggerated by riders/the media who weren't aware of the situation previously so in many respects it has worked).
  • I think this is the first time they've had to have a voting process, and Millar is saying it's scandalous there's no process when he only announced his candidacy in August.

The strange thing is that they're holding the "election" next week instead of saying "we'll sort out a process and have the election on the 32nd of Whentember"

The CPA woman (Laura?) did seem very annoyed, and the points she did make seemed to be slightly angry ones. Her comments about "English riders" were strange as well
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I see that Bugno is saying that he would like to talk to Froome but he can't get in contact with him. With seems to encapsulate the problem here. The union (which has automatic membership and compulsory payments) doesn't contact or engage with its members - in Froome's case the one that has paid the most money into their coffers*. It's just a handful of representatives (who don't seem to be pros or ex-pros) speaking on behalf of riders who don't know who they are.

I don't think this is anything personal against Bugno, who is just a famous figurehead.

I often think Millar is a self-serving person, and he may be here, but at least he's pushing to get reform. If that doesn't happen (there's a petition with 300 signatures demanding it) I'd expect mass walkouts and legal action.

*Froome's prize money from just his six GT wins (no stages) amounts to about 2.3 Million euros. 7% of that goes to CPA. 160k Euros and they don't have his e-mail address - because they've never asked.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,070
    No-one would give a toss about this if Millar hadn't announced his candidacy.

I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing though.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    andyp wrote:

I think ultimately it's a good thing to have riders slightly engaged with their union, even if Millar is a bit of an arse sometimes.
  • andyp wrote:

That is true that no one would give a toss, but if as Millar claims, they are not open about what they do with the finances that they are siphoning from the prize pool of the riders they claim to represent, then people should give a toss and be aware of it and look for it to change.

From the petulance I've seen on twitter and the things I've heard it sounds corrupt and like they are trying to make Millar seem like the bad guy to cover what they are doing.

To have a union representing you that you don't even know about is poor, let alone in a professional sport.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Froome's prize money from just his six GT wins (no stages) amounts to about 2.3 Million euros. 7% of that goes to CPA. 160k Euros and they don't have his e-mail address - because they've never asked.

Or, more cynically, sent a receipt...

Reading between the lines on this a little bit, it feels almost as if Millar is acting as a stalking horse here to drive change whilst not particularly interested in the job, and that mostly he's hoping to kick up enough noise that the election process is unlocked.
  • Its cycling, its full of italians. Of course its corrupt
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,615
    Its cycling, its full of italians. Of course its corrupt
    Blxxdy hell Vino, here's me agreeing with you. 'kin L, strange days indeed.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Lance says Millar is the last person to be considered for the job, prompting this from Millar;
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr Lance Armstrong - great at talking about it on a podcast, shit at actually doing it. On behalf of the peloton, thanks for the support."
    excellent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Shame, just cos it would have been fun.

He's effectively run just by getting the message out. The CPA have set up a noose for themselves and put their head through the loop this week....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mroli wrote:
    Bugno wins - lots to not so many - 390 odd v 96....

So once we allow for the block votes as essentially one person voting, that's what, a 96-3 win for Millar?

(I still have the idea that by basically showing it up as a farce and generating some momentum for change, Millar's already won)
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2018
    Double post
  • RichN95.
    mroli wrote:

So once we allow for the block votes as essentially one person voting, that's what, a 96-3 win for Millar?
    The block votes of North America and Switzerland went to Millar.

The most amusing thing about this election been people on social media railing against Millar as a CPA boss due to being as doper. As opposed to Bugno (quite possibly patient zero for EPO)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    mroli wrote:

The block votes of North America and Switzerland went to Millar.

The most amusing thing about this election been people on social media railing against Millar as a CPA boss due to being as doper. As opposed to Bugno (quite possibly patient zero for EPO)

I was being facetious about the block votes, in my defence, but the fact that at least some of went the other way only makes it harder to sweep all this under the carpet. That said, my sense of what should happen politically if people had a shred of decency appears increasingly divorced from the world around us...
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I would like to see Chris Boardman take the role. I think he is too passionate about people cycling though.
  • I propose Christophe Moreau
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Bugno has been retired 20 years. A lot has happened to pro cycling in that time. Is this an annual election ?
  • RichN95.
    Fenix wrote:
    Bugno has been retired 20 years. A lot has happened to pro cycling in that time. Is this an annual election ?
    Every three years. This is the first time there's actually been an election though.