Halfords British Cycling discount to change

apreading
apreading Posts: 4,535
edited October 2018 in Commuting chat
Received this email today:

From Monday 1 October, the way in which you redeem your Halfords 10% discount will change. To receive your 10% discount on in-store cycling items, you’ll need to present your membership card and a monthly voucher that can be found on the member benefits page. This code will change each month and can be presented either digitally or as a print out.

There are a number of notable changes:

*Terms and conditions
• Discount is supplied to British Cycling members with a valid British Cycling Membership card and discount voucher.
• 10% off is valid on any cycling-related purchase, excludes gift vouchers and Halfords Autocentres.
• May not be used in conjunction with any other voucher.
• Discount cannot be used in conjunction with other instore promotions.
• Discount not applicable on sale items.
• Discount can only be used once per transaction but may be used as many times during the month.
• Discount is not redeemable for cash.
• Exclusive to British Cycling Members.
• Discount is not redeemable online.

Comments

• apreading wrote:
    Received this email today:

From Monday 1 October, the way in which you redeem your Halfords 10% discount will change. To receive your 10% discount on in-store cycling items, you’ll need to present your membership card and a monthly voucher that can be found on the member benefits page. This code will change each month and can be presented either digitally or as a print out.

There are a number of notable changes:

*Terms and conditions
    • Discount is supplied to British Cycling members with a valid British Cycling Membership card and discount voucher.
    • 10% off is valid on any cycling-related purchase, excludes gift vouchers and Halfords Autocentres.
    • May not be used in conjunction with any other voucher.
    • Discount can only be used once per transaction but may be used as many times during the month.
    • Discount is not redeemable for cash.
    • Exclusive to British Cycling Members.
    • Discount is not redeemable online.

"10% off is valid on any cycling-related purchase"
    " Discount not applicable on sale items"
    "Discount cannot be used in conjunction with other instore promotions."

Ar$e to that then. The fact it applied to anything in store other than technology and stacked with in store sales was one of the reasons I remained BC rather than CTC.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • What’s even worse is the change to the CRC discount. It’s now only valid for £150+ purchases and you only get £10 off.
    BC are going to get a lot of grief about this when people get wind of it.

For me the overall value is probably still worth it, but in previous years a decent purchase from CRC would more than cover my membership fee and subsequent discounts were a bonus.
  • apreading
    Eh? I didnt know that about CRC discount. Not happy about that...

I will still keep my BC membership running though - their solicitor got me £20,000 compensation and over £5,000 of medical bills paid for when I was T-boned by a taxi driver a couple of years ago. The membership was well worth it that year!
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    apreading wrote:
    Eh? I didnt know that about CRC discount. Not happy about that...

I will still keep my BC membership running though - their solicitor got me £20,000 compensation and over £5,000 of medical bills paid for when I was T-boned by a taxi driver a couple of years ago. The membership was well worth it that year!

Also 10% Evans. You need a code emailing after filling out BC form. My last attempt never arrived, so I called and they emailed it manually.

Dave
  • david7m
    Why the Halfords change then? Stop people joining once and getting discount forever?
    Last time I used it, they never even looked at my card, just scanned a code.
    Dave
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    I've made the point to the guys in store that the BC discount is the main reason I buy from them - with the discount it's the same price as online but I can get it on the way home from work rather than the following day (or later in some cases).

The CRC discount has been no use to me: I rarely buy £100+ in one go and the last time I did, the discount didn't work anyway.

Hopefully Evans will keep doing the discount now I've finally got my code/voucher for it.

The change is from Monday? I've not had an email about it...
  • david7m
    I've made the point to the guys in store that the BC discount is the main reason I buy from them - with the discount it's the same price as online but I can get it on the way home from work rather than the following day (or later in some cases).

The CRC discount has been no use to me: I rarely buy £100+ in one go and the last time I did, the discount didn't work anyway.

Hopefully Evans will keep doing the discount now I've finally got my code/voucher for it.

The change is from Monday? I've not had an email about it...

They should price match to their own online price, then apply 10% discount.

No email here either.

Dave
  • -Dash
    -Dash Posts: 179
    I think it was prior only for cycling related purchases right? Just most staff didn't care enough to realise and would just get the book out and scan it. The systems didn't care either.

It's a shame though. It will likely mean I just order stuff online for delivery from elsewhere. There were occasions I'd use halfords price match + british cycling discount for things they had in stock like tyres.
  • apreading
    No, it genuinely used to be on anything. I think it may have changed a couple of years ago but staff didnt cotton on. Maybe the still wont although more likely if you have to show a voucher which probably spells it out.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    atomixers wrote:
    What’s even worse is the change to the CRC discount. It’s now only valid for £150+ purchases and you only get £10 off.
    BC are going to get a lot of grief about this when people get wind of it.
    Now that is shite! Glad I got a big order of bits in this month.

I blame wiggle. Be very disappointed if Evans disappear now :-(
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    apreading wrote:
    These two are not changes. They have been in the t&cs for a while now.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    wongataa wrote:
    apreading wrote:
    These two are not changes. They have been in the t&cs for a while now.
    Just checked the wayback machine and you are correct. That was added sometime between June and September 2017.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Nuts, I never realised there was an Evans discount too tbf I only used the Halfords one once to buy a Boardman
  • If its a straight choice between BC and CyclingUK (CTC) membership then CyclingUK wins every time for me. I'd rather the funds go towards campaigning for everyone to have safe cycling rather than funds going to elite sports events. Anything that helps get the UK on a bike is going to be a winner in my book.
  • TonyJams wrote:
    If its a straight choice between BC and CyclingUK (CTC) membership then CyclingUK wins every time for me. I'd rather the funds go towards campaigning for everyone to have safe cycling rather than funds going to elite sports events. Anything that helps get the UK on a bike is going to be a winner in my book.

I know now that that is the right answer, but historically I've never felt that cycling uk stood up for me; given their previous calling for no segregated lanes; and I wasn't a tourer, but a kid cycling to school and back, and then to work or back. the local CTC group doesn't want to change away from CTC, so I don't engage with them...

Whereas I've always felt a connection to the offroad MTB sport of BC...

I changed over this year, intending to do both to keep the BC discount and support the Cycle Campaign, now I won't bother renewing BC.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    This move to tighten up the rules on discount stacking doesn't seem too surprising.

It's been reported in the news this week that Halfords have put in a bid to save Evans, something of a relief, that they won't be lost, but what will it mean? Some areas having Evans, cyclerepublic and halfords and few LBSs remaining will be effectively served by something of a monopoly. Halfords must be considering rationalising the store numbers in certain areas. Evans being under pressure must mean that the margins can't really support the pricematching and discounting that has been going on and John Lewis attribute some of their problems to their price-match policy.

Whilst it's nice to get stuff cheap, lets remember that not everyone on the other side of the counter has much in the way of job security at the moment.
  • Just been in the cycling UK weekly email that the CTC discounts is going the same way, vouchers issues monthly too
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Renewed my BC membership at beginning of the month but still not has a new membership card through yet, must chase that up. I've got a discount code available to me through work that gets me 10% too so will use that if I need to.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,572
    Oh bugger.

Ah well, I am looking to get a new car, and a horrendously expensive (to me) house extension, so this is good impetus to cut back on the spending. CRC, Halfords & Evans were three of the biggest recipients.
    Wouldn't have bought Boardman Hybrid last year without it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    How about National Clarion
    With over 120 years’ experience to share, we are passionate about helping more people to enjoy the benefits of cycling. Whether you’re new to cycling, ride regularly or want to get back into it, we cater to you.

Here are some of the benefits of joining the National Clarion Cycling Club.

Free 3rd Party Liability Insurance.
    Accident Assistance and Legal Support
    Award-winning Boots & Spurs Cycling magazine delivered to your door twice a year
    15% discount Cotswold Outdoors
    15% discount Snow & Rock
    15% discount Runners Need
    10% discount Cycle Surgery (NB the discount code will be printed on your membership card).
    15% discount Lusso Bike (NB the discount code will be printed on your membership card)
    10% discount InMotion Products
    Cycle with club mates throughout the UK
    Rides and Events – a friendly welcome at rides around the country
    Annual Easter Meet
    Annual Autumn Meet
    Access to Clarion Championship Races
    Access to buy National Clarion Cycling Club Kit
    Season-long points competition
    Clarion Cyclists Welcome Clarion Friendly Venues
    30 Sections Across the UK and Europe
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    Does anyone know if you can get the 10% discount when paying for a Boardman bike with a cycle to work voucher as it says may not be used with any other voucher. 10% discount works out at a tidy £130.
    Condor Pista
    50x16