Worlds 2019

Agent57
Agent57 Posts: 2,300
edited March 2019 in Pro race
Bit early maybe, but...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/45652199

"The new mixed relay race will feature three men and three women competing for national teams.

The team time trial mixed relay will see the men compete a 14km lap around Harrogate with the women's trio setting off on the same circuit once the second rider in the men's team has crossed the line. The final time is taken when the second women's rider crosses the finish line with the overall quickest time winning."

An interesting development. Should be fun!
MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    The courses look a bit meh. Sagan will be pleased.
  • Men’s TT starting in my (smallish) hometown. Things have come a long way!
    Just a bit sad my old man passed away a couple of years back and never got to see it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I’ll be paying my sister a visit in Gildersome for a few days I think.
  • Pross wrote:
    I’ll be paying my sister a visit in Gildersome for a few days I think.

Not seen my sister in Pudsey since she got married. I will be on the phone shortly
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Slightly disappointed that there’s nothing in the Peak District. The men’s RR is 185km of the Grand Depart stage from 2014, then 100km or so made up of a load of circuits of Harrogate. :?
  • andyp wrote:

Nothing meh about Buttertubs Pass, although all the hard stuff seems to be at the front end of the course.
  • Cneifion wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Nothing meh about Buttertubs Pass, although all the hard stuff seems to be at the front end of the course.

For the pros it’s way too early and way too short to make a jot of difference to the overall outcome. Same as 2014 TDF stage - break will be away but won’t gain more than 5 or 6 minutes and will be reeled in easily on the circuit.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Cneifion wrote:
    andyp wrote:

For the pros it’s way too early and way too short to make a jot of difference to the overall outcome. Same as 2014 TDF stage - break will be away but won’t gain more than 5 or 6 minutes and will be reeled in easily on the circuit.

So slightly more chance of a breakaway making it than if we were talking trade teams, but still not much.
  • No chance a break makes it. There’s 100k of circuits when they reach Harrogate
  • Hopefully they can get the tarmac layed in the next 11 months!
  • Anyone with local knowledge know what the Harrogate circuit is like. On the profile it looks quite lumpy but always difficult to judge. I've seen it described as technical and unlike the Tour stage they don't expect a bunch sprint.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Here's a question that occerred to me earlier while walking the dogs - who leads the GB team ?

Is Cav a viable option - obviously he'd love to but assuming he finds some kind of form does the course suit a pure sprinter?
  • Here's a question that occurred to me earlier while walking the dogs - who leads the GB team ?

Is Cav a viable option - obviously he'd love to but assuming he finds some kind of form does the course suit a pure sprinter?
  • andyp
    Lizzie Deignan.
  • andyp
    Pidcock in the u23s.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    is it too soon to complain it doesnt come past my house...
  • awavey
    Here's a question that occurred to me earlier while walking the dogs - who leads the GB team ?

well something Ive been thinking about in the mens and to the lesser extent womens race as youd expect Lizzie D to be the obvious candidate favoured rider, though the loops around Harrogate at the end dont favour the kind of victory shes had at the previous TdY imo, but its where is the "project rainbow" from British Cycling on this, we shouldnt be having to ask who or what the team selection is, it should be obvious even now which riders are there for it, targetting it, its less than a year out from a major competition, you wouldnt run a track programme like this.

Id actually think either of the Yates probably more than Cav at this moment, unless Froome or G are interested though Id still back a Yates to do it in Yorkshire :D
  • andyp
    awavey wrote:
    but its where is the "project rainbow" from British Cycling on this, we shouldnt be having to ask who or what the team selection is, it should be obvious even now which riders are there for it, targetting it, its less than a year out from a major competition, you wouldnt run a track programme like this.

How do you know it isn't already well underway?

Knowing BC, I doubt they've not been giving this a lot of thought, analysis and planning by now, and have started preparing riders, support staff, accommodation and so on.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Anyone with local knowledge know what the Harrogate circuit is like. On the profile it looks quite lumpy but always difficult to judge. I've seen it described as technical and unlike the Tour stage they don't expect a bunch sprint.

The folks saying it'll be the same as the TDF clearly don't know it - the circuit is technical, in and out of town plus with plenty of elevation and a very fast but tricky descent - straight 14% hill down to an S bend over a narrow bridge

If people want to race then sprinters and their teams won't be able to control it at all
  • ShutupJens
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Slightly disappointed that there’s nothing in the Peak District. The men’s RR is 185km of the Grand Depart stage from 2014, then 100km or so made up of a load of circuits of Harrogate. :?

Was there supposed to be stuff in the peak district? It was always centred around Harrogate, no?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Hi there. Wrong thread :D
  • awavey
    andyp wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    but its where is the "project rainbow" from British Cycling on this, we shouldnt be having to ask who or what the team selection is, it should be obvious even now which riders are there for it, targetting it, its less than a year out from a major competition, you wouldnt run a track programme like this.

How do you know it isn't already well underway?

Knowing BC, I doubt they've not been giving this a lot of thought, analysis and planning by now, and have started preparing riders, support staff, accommodation and so on.

knowing BC over the years, I get to doubt BC alot :) Im just not getting the impression that theres some massive BC focus that way on it at the moment, like there was for Cavs win,booking hotel rooms in the UK, isnt really where those races are going to be won or lost sadly

I look at todays womens race, most people would have thought Dani Rowe was the lead GB rider for it, but there were media pieces this week I read, think it was the Guardian, who were clearly briefed by BC, that Sophie Wright was their focus instead after the Europeans effort, which fair enough was stunning, but how can you contest a WC race when you cant even really state clearly to the media which rider you are focussing on ?

I dont know I thought there was alot going on in todays race that sums up the approach BC have to road racing for a long time, remembering Lizzies win she always credited it to coaching from her Boels DS,it just feels like reading Nicoles book over and over again and it wont change alot in 12 months
  • GB seem great when they really focus on something and totally unprepared for everything else. I suppose those involved will point to all 3 grand tours in a year and ask what more do we want - it'd be hard to argue!
  • Much hilarity here for the hand over to Yorkshire, the weather here has been great but a fuck off thunderstorm is rolling up the valley as I post.
    The fact the weather in the UK is likely to be shit has got the organizer of 2019 looking a bit pissed off.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    ShutupJens wrote:
    Anyone with local knowledge know what the Harrogate circuit is like. On the profile it looks quite lumpy but always difficult to judge. I've seen it described as technical and unlike the Tour stage they don't expect a bunch sprint.

The folks saying it'll be the same as the TDF clearly don't know it - the circuit is technical, in and out of town plus with plenty of elevation and a very fast but tricky descent - straight 14% hill down to an S bend over a narrow bridge

If people want to race then sprinters and their teams won't be able to control it at all

The actual stage before the circuit is virtually the same as the 2014 grand depart isn’t it?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    As at last night, one of the few remaining Premier Inn rooms in Harrogate for the Saturday night was £180 :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ShutupJens
    NorvernRob wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:

The actual stage before the circuit is virtually the same as the 2014 grand depart isn’t it?

It's exactly the same yes - I doubt however that the break will go as easily as it did in the tour (3 riders clip off then everyone else sits up)
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Hopefully they can get the tarmac layed in the next 11 months!

Started this week......
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    andyp wrote:

i just checked them out, given the potential of the area its a tad disappointing