Hybrid 2.0 - 2 cog crankset hybrid bikes and hills

Tawse57
Tawse57 Posts: 12
edited September 2018 in Commuting general
Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on these Hybrid 2.0 bikes that I am seeing more of in the shops?

The Boardman hybrids, for example, seem to have gone down this route. Instead of having a 3 cog crankset they are opting for a 2 cog set-up with sometimes 9 or 10 rear cogs. Looks like the smaller cog of 26 or 28 is disappearing.

I am wondering specifically if anyone has any thoughts with regard to the lack of these smaller cogs and hill-climbing?

My gut instinct is that these Hybrid 2.0's will be fine on the flat but a bit of a s*d if you have to go up hills.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    10, 11 and 12sp combined with increased range cassettes have all but killed 3x set ups. With a modern 2x or even 1x you get the same gear range with less weight. Not just on hybrids, but most road bikes and MTBs too. As such you only tend to find 3x on cheap BSOs now.

I have a 1x10 MTB and 2x10 road/CX bike and neither struggle with hills... or if they do it's down to the rider and not the bike/gearing ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Depends entirely on the sprocket size of the double chainrings, the cassette sprockets and the talent of the rider. ;)

My Voodoo has 24/38T chainrings with an 8-speed 11-30, it gets me up my local "wall" Dell Rd in SO18 that hits ~20%, plus it went up Old Bristol Rd and Ebbor Gorge cat3 climbs that hit ~25% last November.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Thanks both - interesting info.
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    I am a wimp rider & I need something with little cogs to get up only mildly steep hills. I won't cope without. Mostly commuting & occasional other rides. I never use the big rings on my bikes.
    Plus must fit a pannier rack on rear & mudguards. Lightweight hybrid but as little "sit up and beg" geometry as possible.
    Budget £1-£2k.
    Any suggestions?

I flipping hate shopping at best of times so truly appreciate any suggestions to help me get started. Thanks.
  • zebra67 wrote:
    as little "sit up and beg" geometry.

What do you mean by this?
  • I bought a Boardman MX Comp, in 2015, which came with a double chainset, and a 10 speed 11-36 cassette, with a long cage rear mech. It’s been an absolute trooper . The fact it has smaller chainrings, than are typically found on a double, on a road bike, and a 36 tooth large sprocket, mean it’s actually not as hard to get up some real stinker climbs, as my 9 speed, triple chainring-ed road bike.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    edited September 2018
    Tawse57 wrote:
    zebra67 wrote:

Picture the body position on a Dutch bike, that's what's considered sit up and beg.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Tawse57 wrote:
    zebra67 wrote:

Imagine you're sitting upright with your back at right angles to the floor. Now hold you arms out in front of you with your elbows by your side.

That's what sitting on a Dutch bike looks like, that's what well trained dogs do to get a treat ;-)
  • zebra67 wrote:
    I am a wimp rider & I need something with little cogs to get up only mildly steep hills. I won't cope without. Mostly commuting & occasional other rides. I never use the big rings on my bikes.
    Plus must fit a pannier rack on rear & mudguards. Lightweight hybrid but as little "sit up and beg" geometry as possible.
    Budget £1-£2k.
    Any suggestions?

I flipping hate shopping at best of times so truly appreciate any suggestions to help me get started. Thanks.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-90 ... 05475.html

This would work.