Upgrading to single Drivetrain / Chainset

Alleyn321
Alleyn321 Posts: 2
edited October 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I want Single Drive-train on my Bike.

My Bike is Moondraker Vantage 2018. Theres better version of this bike which is Vantage RR.

I want to make my Vantage into Vantage RR :D

My Bike
-Bottom bracket - Shimano Octalink BBES300
-Chainset / Drivetrain - Suntour XCM 36/22t

What i want to buy and fit on my bike
-Bottom bracket - SRAM GXP Team Bottom Bracket
-Chainset / Drivetrain - SRAM NX GXP Chainset with X-Sync Chainring ( 32t )

Would this fit my Bike? Frame?
Do i need to change my Bottom bracket in order to fit these new Chainset?

I think it should fit my bike but im a newbie to these things so i want to make sure it fits so i dont have to waste time on returning items.
Thank you

Comments

• slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    You should be able to replace the bottom bracket with the GXP one and then fit the new cranks. The only consideration is that it may effect your chain line as the GXP bottom bracket has external cups rather ham internal like the octalink.
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    slc123 wrote:
    You should be able to replace the bottom bracket with the GXP one and then fit the new cranks. The only consideration is that it may effect your chain line as the GXP bottom bracket has external cups rather ham internal like the octalink.
    Nope, both are configured for very similar chainline (and if it were Shimano external its identical). Internal and external makes no difference.

Why not just swap a new chainring onto your existing cranks?

By the way its 1x not single.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    The Rookie wrote:
    slc123 wrote:
    Nope, both are configured for very similar chainline (and if it were Shimano external its identical). Internal and external makes no difference.

Why not just swap a new chainring onto your existing cranks?

By the way its 1x not single.

Good to know!
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • You will never reach the realms of the RR, we have axles and you inferior quick release skewers!

From what I read about the non RR version is that it uses 2x9 speed set up.

Personally I would sell your drive train. Someone will buy it as a mini groupset on ebay for a decent price.

Buy a used triple crank, M770 or similar, convert that to 1x which will give you a good chain line of 50mm.
    Buy a 10 speed 11-40t cassette
    Buy a 10 speed rear mech with a clutch (used or new)
    Buy cheap deore 10 speed shifter (plenty of used ones)

You could always go 1x9 11-36 on your current set up, I think you will just need to space out the chainring to get it closer to 50mm chainline as it will be something like 47mm, optimal would be 48-50mm.